Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-04-2015, 09:33   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40
Reflective Spray

This looks like a remarkable product that could make bikes a lot safer; I wonder if it could be of benefit to boaters?

Volvo Cars Life Paint

Apparently it doesn't change the color of the surface it's sprayed on.

The product is washable, and that's an obvious problem for boats, but perhaps there's something similar that would persist and could be sprayed on the hull and sails.

Fair winds,

Leo

Old 07-04-2015, 09:38   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
Re: Reflective Spray

I don't think that reflective paint (this is not a new idea) is anywhere near as effective as having a number of bright lights on ones bicycle.

I ride at night frequently and the reflective vests that some bicyclists wear are not anywhere near as bright as a few good bicycle lights. The strobes are especially good at getting the attention of motorists who are texting or on Facebook while driving.

As far as boats go, it appears to be reflective paint and not glow in the dark paint. With boats, it is illegal to shine the light on another boat so as to possibly blind the operator, which is the only scenario that reflective paint would work. Your nav lights are what should be used to identify your position, status and aspect. I really don't see a benefit for boats. Maybe someone else will have an idea?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:48   #3

I don't think the reflective spray is intended to replace lights, but to add to the visibility. I hope it becomes available stateside.

I'm most interested in increasing the visibility of boats, but here's a company that makes bike products that I've found very useful on our sailboat; the cup holders work very well; secure and easy to attach to tables and the small lights are quite versatile.
BOOKMAN | Bookman - Accessories for bikes and people on them

Fair winds,

Leo
Old 07-04-2015, 10:00   #4
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll

Reflective paint, like reflective tape, works by reflecting light back into the eyes of an approaching vehicle. Unless an approaching boat has its headlights on, neither will warn the approaching boat's operator of another boat.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:07   #5

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017

The linked Volvo Life Paint says it washes off and only lasts about a week. Seems VERY impractical to me, due to the short "life" of the so called "Life Paint."
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:08   #6

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Reflective paint, like reflective tape, works by reflecting light back into the eyes of an approaching vehicle. Unless an approaching boat has its headlights on, neither will warn the approaching boat's operator of another boat.
Good point.
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 13:05   #7

The washable nature of the product makes it a poor choice for boats, but I wonder if it can be made more permanent. I'd be inclined to give it a whirl.

A treated surface on a boat doesn't need a light from another boat to reflect; our deck lights would probably increase the visibility and even a bright moon could help.

If there's a way to incorporate the reflective material in the gel coat it could make moving around the deck at night much safer and a boat with a higher reflective hull should be cooler.

Fair winds,

Leo

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: