Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2011, 09:55   #1

Boat: Santana 2023 - Impulsive II
Reefing and New Sail

i recently recieved my new mainsail and am wondering about reefing it. its nothing like my old one as well as my boom only has a vang and an outhaul, not other cleats or cams to use for reefing so my quesion is, what is the best way to reef? if i slab it, can i just move the outhaul line to the reefing cringle to set up a new outhaul? should i keep the topping lift taught? i know how to reef, but since my boom doesnt have the fancy stuff on it, i just want to make sure i dont damage boom or sail.
E.L.Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 09:59   #2

Re: reefing and new sail

You will need multiple outhauls. One for each reef. I don't think there is any other way. You cannot move the outhaul when a reef is needed.

Does your boom have multiple sheaves at it's outer end? That will make it easy. Otherwise you or a rigger will need to do some considerable work.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 10:02   #3

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

You should ask the sailmaker these questions, unless you bought from a sailmaker you didn't know persionally ( why )
Old 20-07-2011, 10:03   #4

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

I'd install a jiffy reefing system and then make provisions for multiple reef point outhulls if necessary.

Places like Sailrite sell the systems fairly cheap.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 10:08   #5

i did discuss it with him and he recommended popping some cleats or cams on their. im just looking for other alternatives since my boom is pretty primative and i hate drilling anything anywhere for whatever reason on my boat. it was originally set up as a roller boom so im guessing that is why it is bare.
Old 20-07-2011, 10:11   #6

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.L.Green View Post
i recently recieved my new mainsail and am wondering about reefing it. its nothing like my old one as well as my boom only has a vang and an outhaul, not other cleats or cams to use for reefing so my quesion is, what is the best way to reef? if i slab it, can i just move the outhaul line to the reefing cringle to set up a new outhaul? should i keep the topping lift taught? i know how to reef, but since my boom doesnt have the fancy stuff on it, i just want to make sure i dont damage boom or sail.
When you reef, you want to acomplish two things, pull the sail down from the reef gromet and pull rearward.. if your boom has no additional reef lines, rig a snap shackle to the outhaul line.. when you drop the sail, lash the lower area down and move the shackle to the reef point.. your outhaul now adjusts the sail throu the reef point.. to keep the reefed sail from rising up in a puff at the rear, lash the sail at the reef point to the boom..
the only tricky part is taking the sail back up as you just dont un-wrap the sail and raise it.. you need to reverse the steps in taking it down..
I raced a small boat for years and what I've just described was the way I always reefed the sail..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 10:23   #7

thanks guys! randy, that is what i had in my head, the sailmaker told me if i wanted to avoid riviting stuff to the boom to get a horn for the gooseneck to lash through the cringle then run a line through the existing outhaul. i was thinking of getting a dual sheave to run mulitple outhauls to make it a little easier. i will try to take a picture of the boom and outhaul later.
Old 20-07-2011, 10:41   #8

Randy, I don't think moving the outhaul will work for any but the smallest dinghys and in moderate weather. Your suggestion could end in disaster in any kind of open water situation.

Also, when reefed, the new outhaul must go thru the reef cringle then down to the boom.

If a rigid vang does not support the boom then the topping lift must be taken up before the halyard is eased.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 10:43   #9

Re: Reefing and New Sail

thanks daddle, as you guys explained it i was seeing it in my head and was basically what i had in my mind.
Old 20-07-2011, 11:25   #10

Quote:
i did discuss it with him and he recommended popping some cleats or cams on their. im just looking for other alternatives since my boom is pretty primative and i hate drilling anything anywhere for whatever reason on my boat. it was originally set up as a roller boom so im guessing that is why it is bare.

You want to reef? If that's a yes, then get out the drill. You need check blocks, line guides, and cleats. OF course this is assuming that your main has reef points..And based on what you mentioned was said by the sail maker I'm in doubt...

Did your old main have a reef or two?

No offence here, but you said you knew how to reef. Yet you talked about moving lines to accomplish same... This shows a tad of either mis-understanding what reefing is all about or you just read about it...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 11:30   #11

Quote:
thanks guys! randy, that is what i had in my head, the sailmaker told me if i wanted to avoid riviting stuff to the boom to get a horn for the gooseneck to lash through the cringle then run a line through the existing outhaul. i was thinking of getting a dual sheave to run mulitple outhauls to make it a little easier. i will try to take a picture of the boom and outhaul later.
NO NO and NO... as the sail is reefed the leech(back edge) of the sail moves forward..Assuming your sail is a triangle not a square sail!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hence the "outhaul" for the reefs must come straight or SLIGHTLY rear ward of the reef cringle..Certainly not back to the original outhaul location. Have you ever reefed a sail?????????????????

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 12:00   #12

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
NO NO and NO... as the sail is reefed the leech(back edge) of the sail moves forward..Assuming your sail is a triangle not a square sail!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hence the "outhaul" for the reefs must come straight or SLIGHTLY rear ward of the reef cringle..Certainly not back to the original outhaul location. Have you ever reefed a sail?????????????????
You are wrong, on my first 42, designed for racing, the reef lines come from the internal area of the boom and exit out the rear( 4 lines-- 3 reef and one outhaul)... along the boom are areas designed to tye off the reef line. .. when pulling the reef line (outhaul) the line triangulates the sail and pulls the sail rearward as well as downward.. setting it in its proper place..
When racing, (for over 30 years in a small boat 22 to 24 Ft) the same reefing was done by using the outhaul and lashing the sail at the clew to the boom..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 12:32   #13
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
You want to reef? If that's a yes, then get out the drill.
+1!! I'm amazed at the number of people who ask advice on this forum according to the formula: "I want to accomplish XYZ, but I don't want to do it the proper way."

I understand that you don't want to drill holes in your boom. Nobody wants to drill holes in their boom. But we all do it if we want to add a feature like slab reefing.

The bottom line is that you have two options if you want to reef: you can drill the holes, or you can pay a rigger to drill the holes.

My rigger charges $110 per hour to drill holes. You're probably looking at three hours labor if he rigged it, but it's a job you can do yourself in a single Saturday.
Old 21-07-2011, 09:52   #14

i didnt say i wont do it the proper way, i was just trying to avoid any drilling as alot of people have said i dont need to and alot say it is necessary. everyone starts somewhere and i would rather have the most info that i can gather. i know how to reef on a boat that has existing hardware and yes the sail has reefpoints. i love the responses people give to the most rediculous questions on other topics and when i describe how my boat is and how people have told me to do it i get slammed with negative answers like above. hey by the way, i have a boat that is leaky that i bought for 800 bucks, but i want to sail to the BVI with my wife, dog and seven kids and then around cape horn? can this be accomplished? people dont give people like that half the crap i have gotten in this topic.
Old 21-07-2011, 10:00   #15

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
hey by the way, i have a boat that is leaky that i bought for 800 bucks, but i want to sail to the BVI with my wife, dog and seven kids and then around cape horn? can this be accomplished?
Yes it can with a competent skipper, however I would wait till the hurricane season is over for the first leg of the trip.

Tags
sail