Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-12-2014, 10:48   #1

Recommendations: December in GBI and the Abacos?

Hello there, as a frist-time poster wasn't entirely sure where to post this. Hope here is okay.

I am planning a trip for next week with my father on a Little Harbor 46. It's last minute, but it's a friend's boat at a local dock and he's offered to help provision us and his paperwork's all up to date, so we're not too worried about the rush. I am, however, wondering where we should go.

We'll have about 8 to 10 days, depending on the weather. Our only requirement is to pick up a friend in Freeport on the 19th, and I've been trying to sketch a rough itinerary around that.

We're out of Fort Lauderdale, so I was thinking we might go straight to Freeport for check in and skip Bimini, on the 14th/15th. That leaves us a few days to kill before we have to pick up our friend, though, and I'd rather not just stay in port. After the pick up, we'll have 4 or 5 days before we need to be back in Fort Laud in time for Christmas morning with the rest of the family.

I thought the Abacos might be best, but it's been so long since either my father or I have been in the area (he's mostly down in the BVIs these days), that I though I'd reach out for recommendations. I'm open to anything really.

To provide a bit more background: my father's a very experienced sailor, and I spent the better part of a decade as a kid living on another LH, but I haven't been sailing in a decade, most likely. So while we're not looking for anything too strenous I want to get back into the swing of things. I'm confident the knowledge of how to use a winch and tie off a cleat will never leave me, but, weather permitting, I'd really like to get her laid over on a good heel and have my father run me through some reefing drills to pick back up what I've likely lost. Basically, I'm willing to work hard to relax hard this trip!

That said, I'd welcome any suggestions or recommendations you all might have.
goingconcern is offline   Reply With Quote

abaco, men

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: