Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2017, 10:12   #1

Recommend a low RF LED Tricolor

Hi all -

I currently have an Orca Green Marine (OGM) LED tricolor that emits enough RF to negatively impact both VFH and AIS reception. This is obviously an issue because both the tricolor and VFH /AIS are needed at the same time. I have a whip style VHF/AIS antenna that's mounted about 4" away from the tricolor.

Orca Green Marine has not been helpful. The owner and I had a 30 minute discussion and then she asked me to send pictures of the light to see if it was an older version prone to RF. After sending the pictures, she is unreachable. I've been calling a few times a week for the past month.

Can anyone recommend an LED tricolor / anchor light that has little RF emission?

Thanks!
jls095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 10:51   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009
Re: Recommend a low RF LED Tricolor

I'm not an electronics expert, but here's some educated guesses to start you thinking. First, it's probably the actual LED, not the simple fixture that's causing the interference. You may be able to get a better quality LED bulb for $15 to solve this without re-wiring & re-mounting an entire fixture at the masthead. Dr. LED and MarineBeam are both US retailers of good quality LED that purport to be insulated for RF interference. I've used MarineBeam LEDs and never experienced RF from my masthead light. I also recently installed the combination anchor / tri-light from MarineBeam that uses a single wire and a switching pattern to switch from Anchor to Tri, and am very satisfied.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 21:59   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Check out marinebeam. I've measured the RF interference (RFI / EMI) from the marinebeam bi-color light that I mounted on my bow, and it is extremely quiet. On their website they discuss EMI and the steps they have taken to reduce it to a minimum, and from what I've seen they do an excellent job of it.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 23:58   #4
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

You can see what's really going on for the cost of a beer...

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/spektrum-new...yzer-software/
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 01:33   #5

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

We have been very happy with our Stecktronics tricolor/anchor/strobe combination. We have no apparent RF interference with our VHF or AIS that I have noticed.

I especially like the fact that it requires only one pair of wires. I believe we installed it in 2013.

Innovative LED Lighting Products

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 03:33   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

Try LOPOLIGHT probably the best product out there.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 08:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rourkeh View Post
Try LOPOLIGHT probably the best product out there.

Sorry to contradict but there are several witnesses on the net about interference. For example by Attainable Adventure Cruising (https://www.morganscloud.com/). But perhaps they are better now.
The Aquasignal 32 or 34 are much cheaper, don't have RFI and were tested as best by Practical Boat Owner (UK)(october 2009).
nepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 08:33   #8

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I have had no problems with my SH GX2200 base VHF and my LunaSea tricolour: Ultra Light LED Navigation Light Fixture | Products | Lunasea Lighting
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 11:59   #9

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

I had the same probleme with RF from Anchorlight and Tricolor when using Multivoltage LEDs (10-30V) as I was afraid of Voltage changes maybe by charging the batteries. When I changed back to the cheaper 12V LEDs no more RF.
I have to say that my AIS Antenna was at about 14 feet above waterline, the VHF antenna on top of the mast about 70 feet above waterline.
Good luck James
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 12:17   #10

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

I had a lopolight combined tricolour/anchor light on my previous boat, and now have a NASA Marine combined light on my present vessel. I never had any issues with RF interference on either boat, but noting that some people have had issues particularly with the Lopolight, I wonder if it might be a problem with the installation (cable runs etc) rather than the lights themselves, or possibly particular brands of radio may be more susceptible than others? Any electronics/radio techs got any ideas?
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 12:18   #11

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
Check out marinebeam. I've measured the RF interference (RFI / EMI) from the marinebeam bi-color light that I mounted on my bow, and it is extremely quiet. On their website they discuss EMI and the steps they have taken to reduce it to a minimum, and from what I've seen they do an excellent job of it.

Paul is correct

We have a marinebeam masthead tri color and have notice ZERO RF from it. We have had it on about 4 years of mostly full time cruising.

I contacted MarineBeam before purchasing with the same question and was assured that they have tested it for RF and it was without RF interference on either VHF or HF

Good luck in your choice

Chuck
Jacaranda
lying Mo’orea
Old 23-11-2017, 19:21   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Recommend a low RF LED Tricolor

I have an aqua signal LED tricolor and have noticed no RFI from it on the Hf Radio. My Icom 802 is the most susceptible thing I have in my boat.
My boat is full of Marine Beam interior lights, bow and stern running lights and steaming and deck light, and I have noticed no RFI from any of them.
The biggest two emitters of RFI on my boat are the Satellite TV antenna or maybe receiver and the Adler Barbour fridge compressor, both emit something that sounds a lot like Morse code.
I wonder what it is the fridge is trying to tell me cause that bugger is noisy
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 20:41   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Another manufacturer you might consider is "Optolamp". I've got their "Amazonia" tricolor (http://www.optolamp.com.br/english/i...in-1-2013.html), and it puts out zero interference. It uses a linear (non-switching) regulator which is noise-free. I don't know for sure if their other nav-lights have similar regulator designs though.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 11:49   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

^^ This.

you can buy them here: LED Navigation Lights by Optolamp Boating Gear fit for the King

They are superb.

I tried a whole bunch of masthead lights before settling on these. Well made and no RF.

BTW, the lopo's actually suck. Poor quality (I had multiple fail) and had RF noise.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 12:06   #15

I have a marinebeam anchor light at the top of the mast. No change in AIS or VHF when it's on.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men