Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2014, 04:41   #331
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Rebel Heart's Contribution to the Cruising Community

what a great response, who would think to wait for the real story before commenting
Old 15-04-2014, 06:25   #332

Boat: Catalina 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
It's real simple. Some of us are trying to reconcile what we were told in the beginning about the boat versus what the press conference/rescuers said versus post-rescue blogs by the owners. They are all very different. Why some want to see something nefarious in the inquires I don't understand. I have never doubted that Eric did what was right for him. Some seem to think asking questions is being critical, being unsupportive. I don't see it that way. I see it like a child that got into trouble .. you still love them, support them, but you want to know what really happened.
It isn't your business. If Eric decides to say anything it's nothing more than courteous on his part.
Old 15-04-2014, 06:36   #333

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Delfin...It's hidden in my signature block.
But now that I think about it...I like the "reality" tag line much better...the reality of Showers and CoolBeer and Ice Cream.

Opps...sorry to distract...now back to kicking folks when they are down....
You shouldn't kick people when they are down. Very unkind.
Old 15-04-2014, 06:50   #334

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Hi, everyone,

FWIW, part of what I think has gone agley here is that we have not made an effort to hold ourselves back from reading the blogs, and perhaps lost track that blogs are imperfect representations of what actually went on. Details are left out that are too boring to the writer to include, for one, and inadequate time to express oneself thoughtfully, for another.

If we could wait either till RH post here or on the other thread before commenting, for all the reasons put on the first thread, for maybe a month, that would at least make a space for the media to not dog our paths.

'Bye for now,

Ann
Hi Ann,
I will be very surprised if Eric shows up with any comments about the whole sorry episode.
All I've seen is one brief post on the closed thread along the lines of "... this makes interesting reading". So he is following everything here on CF.

I'd bet $ on the fact he has a media manager/agent/publisher who has told him not to say a word about the story until a contract is signed, and even then he may be bound to say zip until the book/60 minutes show or whatever comes out.

We all know Eric has a bit of an ego, and that he is keen to have writing career. He got handed a lemon and is working on the how to get the very best lemonade out of it.

I don't think we've heard the last of Eric, just maybe on CF, until he is advised the timing is right.

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
Old 15-04-2014, 06:56   #335
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Rebel Heart's Contribution to the Cruising Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
So why don't people just stop posting their 20th person stories and wait till a first hand version comes out?

I wonder what motivation there is to continue to toss out comments without knowing the story.
Well Hush Mah Mouth.....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 15-04-2014, 07:14   #336
cruiser

Personal note to the Rebel Heart Kaufman Family:

Please take your time, get well and I sincerely hope you get everything sorted out and launch into a bright, successful future; whether cruising or not, that's for you to decide... do whatever works best for your family.

Ignore all the criticism from the press, forums and others as best you can. When you're ready, you'll certainly be welcome back here anytime on CF with our full support. If you decide that you want to talk about your cruising experience.... that's fine, if not... that's fine too.

Cheers

Ken
Old 15-04-2014, 07:37   #337
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Other question is.. did they shout a 'Mayday' or do a Pan Pan Medico.. each prompts a different response.. one for Medical assistance and possible evacuation of the sick/injured.. the other for wholesale removal..
Hi Boaty!

I take it (and no one knows as we are in the dark) that Eric used his satellite phone. There was no word of an EPIRB activation and it would have been a pretty stupid thing to do in their situation whilst they had a sat phone.

I would guess as the child became more ill he and Charlotte would have consulted with a doctor on land, and then the Coast Guard, by sat phone.

Knowing his prudence, and he was an EMT which, I think, means an emergency medical technician, he would be well versed in obtaining advice for a patient either as a second opinion, or when his diagnosis/treatment ideas had run out.

Its one of the marvels of a sat phone.

If he used an eprib I would think it would have been after a discussion with CG and after the decision to come to them was decided. And its use it give accurate locations.

I would be pretty much surprised if he just hit the EPIRB first and left the Sat Phone in its box.

I bet his phone bill is bloody astronomical! but a good way to spend money!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 15-04-2014, 08:08   #338

You see there are known knowns, and known unknowns...

It seems to me we know about 95% of what happened. There are a few niggling details I'd be curious about, like what communication systems they had on board and what was wrong with those, if anything. What worked, what didn't work.

For some of it, we'd have to wait to hear from those who were on board. For some of it, I think we already have the information. There are some pretty insightful analyses on the forum based on the available information, but you have to weed through a lot of posts to get to those.
Old 15-04-2014, 08:25   #339
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
You shouldn't kick people when they are down. Very unkind.
EXACTLY.......which is why I was admonishing those who were doing it.....you know what....never mind...
Old 15-04-2014, 08:48   #340
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
There are a few niggling details I'd be curious about, like what communication systems they had on board and what was wrong with those, if anything. What worked, what didn't work.
The only things I'd personally be interested in is why did the motor leak when it ran and how could that be prevented and why did the boat loose steering. There are a lot of instances lately with these same problems and it would be good to have options to repair if it ever happened. Loss of steering especially seems to be a common problem with abandoned boats.
Old 15-04-2014, 08:50   #341

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
The only things I'd personally be interested in is why did the motor leak when it ran and how could that be prevented and why did the boat loose steering. There are a lot of instances lately with these same problems and it would be good to have options to repair if it ever happened. Loss of steering especially seems to be a common problem with abandoned boats.
The boat did not actually lose steering (well, not before they removed the wheel, anyway). That was mis-reporting.
Old 15-04-2014, 09:00   #342

Wish the Kaufman Family speedy recovery from all this, its obviously you love your children dearly and that's all that matters right now, all the best in the future.
Old 15-04-2014, 09:01   #343

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Hi Ann,
I will be very surprised if Eric shows up with any comments about the whole sorry episode.
All I've seen is one brief post on the closed thread along the lines of "... this makes interesting reading". So he is following everything here on CF.

I'd bet $ on the fact he has a media manager/agent/publisher who has told him not to say a word about the story until a contract is signed, and even then he may be bound to say zip until the book/60 minutes show or whatever comes out.

We all know Eric has a bit of an ego, and that he is keen to have writing career. He got handed a lemon and is working on the how to get the very best lemonade out of it.

I don't think we've heard the last of Eric, just maybe on CF, until he is advised the timing is right.

Vic
I actually really hope that he does find a way to turn this into at least some income to help either replace RH or set up a new life on land. They lost everything and have been torn apart publicly. I hope they find a way to at least partially monetize their 15 minutes to compensate.
Old 15-04-2014, 09:06   #344

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Don't go anywhere. You're one of the most qualified people in this whole thread.
Me thinks he missed the gist of your humor
Old 15-04-2014, 09:16   #345

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Me thinks he missed the gist of your humor
No humor. He has a cruising family and blogs about it. Not just an armchair quarterback
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising, rib