Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2014, 20:15   #316

Boat: 55' Romsdal
Re: Rebel Heart's Contribution to the Cruising Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Wow Delfin, don't you have enough dogs to take pictures of? You've reached a new low attacking the vendor folks too.

Thought you'd be out to sea by now or updating your blog.
Now, Monkey, do try to be civil. I was merely asking what he sold that people would buy. He sells reality.
Old 14-04-2014, 20:22   #317
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Now, Monkey, do try to be civil. I was merely asking what he sold that people would buy. He sells reality.
Ok all yours.

I'm outta here.

(climbing up a tree)
Old 14-04-2014, 20:25   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
This rang a bell with me, and as it turns out, political flaks lie to their diaries. Perhaps just out of habit?

Dear Diary . . . Someone Involved In The Whitewater Scandal Is Not Telling The Truth - Philly.com
Apparently lying in one's blog is much more commonplace than I ever imagined.

I kind of expected it in the political arena, it's par for the course. But normal people's blogs? I thought the truth still meant something. I guess I'm far more naive than I thought.
Old 14-04-2014, 20:25   #319

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Ok all yours.

I'm outta here.

(climbing up a tree)
That's good. Living in a tree will free up rent money for the boat.
Old 14-04-2014, 20:27   #320

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I don't know why that is even relevant. They had a 1yr old that was sick enough to cause them to be concerned so much for her life that they felt compelled to call for help.

The condition of the boat is neither here nor there.

Mark
Really? I beg to differ. This is a sailing forum, a boat was supposedly in dire straits and ended up being scuttled. Why? .. I think is relevant to me, and others I'm sure would like to know.
Old 14-04-2014, 20:28   #321
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Delfin...It's hidden in my signature block.
But now that I think about it...I like the "reality" tag line much better...the reality of Showers and CoolBeer and Ice Cream.

Opps...sorry to distract...now back to kicking folks when they are down....
Old 14-04-2014, 20:35   #322
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Really? I beg to differ. This is a sailing forum, a boat was supposedly in dire straits and ended up being scuttled. Why I think is revenant .. to me, and others I'm sure would like to know.
We probably all would like to know. Some out of interest only, some out of genuine concern,some out of wanting to learn and, unfortunately, some out of wanting to stick some knives in because they can.

The problem is, nobody can claim the "right' to know. The people involved can decide if they want to tell, when they tell, and what they tell.

Coops.
Old 14-04-2014, 20:42   #323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
We probably all would like to know. Some out of interest only, some out of genuine concern,some out of wanting to learn and, unfortunately, some out of wanting to stick some knives in because they can.

The problem is, nobody can claim the "right' to know. The people involved can decide if they want to tell, when they tell, and what they tell.

Coops.
Of course. Nobody is saying we have a "right" to know, and obviously they can tell what they want and when. But at the same time this is a public sailing forum and people are going to ask and we can't or shouldn't guess as to their motives, not that it really matters even.

They have come out with some statements so people are naturally going to raise more questions. This is still an internet forum isn't it?
Old 14-04-2014, 20:47   #324
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

We certainly hope so, unless it is all just an awful dream that never ends.

PS. Was not aiming at you merely generalising.

Coops.
Old 15-04-2014, 00:05   #325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Of course. Nobody is saying we have a "right" to know, and obviously they can tell what they want and when. But at the same time this is a public sailing forum and people are going to ask and we can't or shouldn't guess as to their motives, not that it really matters even.

They have come out with some statements so people are naturally going to raise more questions. This is still an internet forum isn't it?
The first rule of Rebel Heart threads is that you do not ask questions about Rebel Heart. The second rule of Rebel Heart threads is...
Old 15-04-2014, 01:20   #326
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Rebel Heart's Contribution to the Cruising Community

My curiosity lies in other directions.. from what I understand the US has a one off.. all off policy re rescues.. so the one thing I approve with RH was the decision to scuttle the boat and not leave her out there as a hazard to other small boats the way Wolfhound and Alpha and others were.. it can get bad enough out there without the extra worry of unlit floating hulks to bump into coz someone bottled it and bailed..
Other question is.. did they shout a 'Mayday' or do a Pan Pan Medico.. each prompts a different response.. one for Medical assistance and possible evacuation of the sick/injured.. the other for wholesale removal..
If a 'Mayday'.. they'd decided to abandon regardless and much of what's been apparently blogged about non-stop bailing can be viewed as 'justification' as opposed to fact from what I can make out..
The other thing about Blogs is they're often edited to suit.. those who remember my 'Change of Plan' thread about the Oz trip read a blog posted by my crew Liz.. and some commented that what she wrote did not sound as bad as my posts on here..
There was a good reason.. I'd asked her to tone it down so as not to 'P Orf' the owners and maybe cause problems down the line come payday..
As it turned out.. I should have let her vent..
As for cruising with kids.. I know couples who've given birth on board and kept the life style.. you've no idea how disconcerting it is to meet a 5yr old who can converse in 5 languages.. at the same time..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 15-04-2014, 02:09   #327

Boat: Valiant 42

Boatman, they punched the EPIRB which doesn't have a PAN PAN button. As far as I know the EPIRB only has a Mayday button. But they were able to communicate via other voice or text their medical emergency so the rescuers knew the situation on board and decided to fly out ASAP.

IMHO all this blather about wanting to know the condition of the boat is just some people looking for a way to go at Eric for not switching to single hand mode and in effect abandoning his wife and girls. By the known accounts the boat leaked slightly when sailing and leaked more when motoring. The family never reported the boat was in danger of foundering. Indeed the 4 initial rescuers lived aboard for some days with the family as they sailed the boat toward the US Navy ship. According to the accounts I read Eric had made the decision to be taken off with his family before the rescuers first arrived on scene. For that some here want to roast him but for the life of me I can't figure out why.
Old 15-04-2014, 03:06   #328

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Boatman, they punched the EPIRB which doesn't have a PAN PAN button. As far as I know the EPIRB only has a Mayday button. But they were able to communicate via other voice or text their medical emergency so the rescuers knew the situation on board and decided to fly out ASAP.

IMHO all this blather about wanting to know the condition of the boat is just some people looking for a way to go at Eric for not switching to single hand mode and in effect abandoning his wife and girls. By the known accounts the boat leaked slightly when sailing and leaked more when motoring. The family never reported the boat was in danger of foundering. Indeed the 4 initial rescuers lived aboard for some days with the family as they sailed the boat toward the US Navy ship. According to the accounts I read Eric had made the decision to be taken off with his family before the rescuers first arrived on scene. For that some here want to roast him but for the life of me I can't figure out why.
It's real simple. Some of us are trying to reconcile what we were told in the beginning about the boat versus what the press conference/rescuers said versus post-rescue blogs by the owners. They are all very different. Why some want to see something nefarious in the inquires I don't understand. I have never doubted that Eric did what was right for him. Some seem to think asking questions is being critical, being unsupportive. I don't see it that way. I see it like a child that got into trouble .. you still love them, support them, but you want to know what really happened.
Old 15-04-2014, 03:52   #329
CLOD

Boat: none

So why don't people just stop posting their 20th person stories and wait till a first hand version comes out?

I wonder what motivation there is to continue to toss out comments without knowing the story.
Old 15-04-2014, 04:18   #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
So why don't people just stop posting their 20th person stories and wait till a first hand version comes out?

I wonder what motivation there is to continue to toss out comments without knowing the story.
You don't have to read them you know. You are free to sit on the sidelines and wait for the first hand version to come out.

Tags
cruising, rib