Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2014, 15:27   #286

Boat: 55' Romsdal
Re: Rebel Heart's Contribution to the Cruising Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Some people here are saying "Oh gawd -- they might get criticized on a public forum! She ought to be keeping those thoughts to herself!"

The fact is that the reason the blog is interesting is because she gives her real opinions, and doesn't sugarcoat it.

They might get a bit of criticism, but I'm thinking the blog is useful to others who might choose this path. Their donation site has raised $18K. I'm thinking partial credit for that goes to the blog.
I don't have much problem with people posting the most intimate and embarrassing details of their personal lives in public view. Mostly because I am so profoundly uninterested in those details that I ignore them to extent I can. What I find very odd is that when people who make a public spectacle of themselves run into trouble that brings them into the spotlight, they or their surrogates immediately begin to call for everyone to give them a little privacy. Once you've posted online the kind of things you probably would never dream of mentioning at a dinner party with your parents, you have no claim to privacy. Which is why I find the whole trend towards shameless self exposure just a bit disheartening.
Old 14-04-2014, 15:54   #287

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInHand View Post
I wouldn't even assume that, more like "it's the truth as she wishes to present it". I see nothing wrong with using a blog to present her story the way she wants it known. She's under no obligation to inform anyone.

The National Guard Crew, however, were at a press conference. They were under an obligation to present facts and inform.

I'm afraid I see things exactly the opposite.

Speaking of blogs in general, when I read a blog, it's like reading an online diary. Who writes lies in their diary? What is the point in being untruthful or fabricating stories in a blog? I see no point in misleading your readers, surely if they found out that what they were reading is a gross misrepresentation of the truth they wouldn't bother to read it any more. If it was labeled as a work of fiction, then it would attract those interested in reading fiction.

By the same token, when was the last time you saw the plain, unvarnished truth spoken at a news conference? That is where they trot out the platitudes, pat everyone on the back for an outstanding job, praise the heroism of the unborn child and thank baby Jesus for the strength to carry on.

For even more egregiously spun versions of news conferences, see political press releases and post game interviews of athletes.
Old 14-04-2014, 16:02   #288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
I don't have much problem with people posting the most intimate and embarrassing details of their personal lives in public view. Mostly because I am so profoundly uninterested in those details that I ignore them to extent I can. What I find very odd is that when people who make a public spectacle of themselves run into trouble that brings them into the spotlight, they or their surrogates immediately begin to call for everyone to give them a little privacy. Once you've posted online the kind of things you probably would never dream of mentioning at a dinner party with your parents, you have no claim to privacy. Which is why I find the whole trend towards shameless self exposure just a bit disheartening.

To be fair, the calls for privacy and "give them space" did not originate from RH or from any duly appointed representative. It was just sentiments from a few people who wanted to retain control of the thread direction.

AFAIK, there is no steering wheel or rudder on a thread. It goes where the posters take it, just like the wind.
Old 14-04-2014, 16:13   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
To be fair, the calls for privacy and "give them space" did not originate from RH or from any duly appointed representative. It was just sentiments from a few people who wanted to retain control of the thread direction.

AFAIK, there is no steering wheel or rudder on a thread. It goes where the posters take it, just like the wind.
Actually, it steers a course approved by those who shall remain nameless, for to name them is forbidden, but their name rhymes with Odd.
Old 14-04-2014, 16:15   #290

Boat: Catalina 36

Quote:
I'm afraid I see things exactly the opposite.

Speaking of blogs in general, when I read a blog, it's like reading an online diary. Who writes lies in their diary? What is the point in being untruthful or fabricating stories in a blog?
Interesting. Knowing that my family read my blog, I am very careful about what I put in it. Same with emails about adventures. My mom doesn't want to know if I fell off the boat or ripped open a toe on a cleat, so I leave that stuff out.

If I planned to write a book later I would absolutely (as an example) characterize a couple of splashes from big waves as seawater pouring in to the cabin. Why not? It isn't my autobiography, it's my story.
Old 14-04-2014, 16:16   #291

Quote:

Speaking of blogs in general, when I read a blog, it's like reading an online diary. Who writes lies in their diary? What is the point in being untruthful or fabricating stories in a blog?
This rang a bell with me, and as it turns out, political flaks lie to their diaries. Perhaps just out of habit?

Dear Diary . . . Someone Involved In The Whitewater Scandal Is Not Telling The Truth - Philly.com
Old 14-04-2014, 16:50   #292

Boat: Little Harbor 53'

My two cents. Accelerating certain plans and destination ahead of experience requires honesty for the safety of your crew, vessel and yourself, not to mention the lives if those that may be put at risk to help you out. For us, gaining that experience will be something that will continue to take place over YEARS not months.

Our solution for off shore voyages when the one thing you can plan on is things happening you didn't possibly consider, is to bring a qualified captain familiar with our boat and at least one other highly capable crew member. This gives us not only peace of mind that we are increasing our chances of success but also an incredible learning opportunity to watch the thought process and subsequent actions that follow to deal with the adverse affects that sailing offshore is going to bring your way.

It's worth the money for our family. Just my opinion though.
Old 14-04-2014, 17:13   #293

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Have you ever thought about waiting for a few hours between posts then making one that is longer than 7 words and has some point to it?
This has got to be a joke? Why on Earth would you attempt to influence the length of another members posts by making snarky condescending comments?

That's pretty trifling behavior for a big shot who writes whole paragraphs.
Old 14-04-2014, 17:36   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Have you ever thought about waiting for a few hours between posts then making one that is longer than 7 words and has some point to it?
Short answer, no. Besides, you're a rich bugger as evidenced by your boat, not a man of the peeps without one, so your opinion on boats and matters pertaining thereto are irrelevant.
Old 14-04-2014, 18:01   #295

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

I just have one question … was the boat in danger of sinking or not? In fact, was there anything really wrong with the boat?
Old 14-04-2014, 18:04   #296
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

One answer - we don't know.
Old 14-04-2014, 18:12   #297

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
One answer - we don't know.
Why is it such a mystery still?

Initially, we heard no steering, no comms, taking on water, torn sails, no engine … but nothing much about any of that in the press conference. In fact, contrary statements. And now the latest blog from Charlotte? Eric has posted here, on FB, etc. since returning but nothing about the condition of the boat.
Old 14-04-2014, 18:16   #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post

Initially, we heard no steering, no comms, taking on water, torn sails, no engine … but nothing much about any of that in the press conference. In fact, contrary statements. And now the latest blog from Charlotte? Eric has posted here, on FB, etc. since returning but nothing about the condition of the boat.
I guess we'll have to wait for the book.
Old 14-04-2014, 18:23   #299
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Think they had a log (not a blog)?
Old 14-04-2014, 18:48   #300
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
What Right do WE have to know anyway?
You guys are acting like they owe us an explanation in the first place....
Besides then you will know the ending and won't want to see the Movie.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising, rib