Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2014, 07:02   #166

Boat: PSC Orion 27
Re: Rebel Heart's Contribution to the Cruising Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
My guess would be that the last thing on their minds right now is another offshore boat.
Guess again;

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1417760

Old 13-04-2014, 07:05   #167

Well thats was then and this is now
Old 13-04-2014, 07:07   #168

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FecklessDolphin View Post
In regards to the initial question, if this incident will shed some positive light on cruising, the issue is getting a lot of exposure right now through this article out today in the NY Times.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/13/op...f=opinion&_r=0
That is a good piece. I note the comment that they "carried replacements for replacements and twice the necessary supplies." Sounds like they were realistic about the need to be prepared if you expect to be independent on a vessel, and able to fix the inevitable broken bits while having enough critical supplies to be able to weather delays in transit. No wonder the kids had a ball.
Old 13-04-2014, 07:40   #169
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
That is a good piece. I note the comment that they "carried replacements for replacements and twice the necessary supplies." Sounds like they were realistic about the need to be prepared if you expect to be independent on a vessel, and able to fix the inevitable broken bits while having enough critical supplies to be able to weather delays in transit. No wonder the kids had a ball.

Help in now doubt by the 6 crew !

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 13-04-2014, 07:44   #170

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Well thats was then and this is now
Hence the little devil guy.

I'm 100% behind Eric and family. Kids are born into families and adapt to them. Just because a child is born to a poor family in Ethiopia doesn't mean the parents don't deserve the child, even though the child has little chance of survival.

A family that eats at 'Rotten Ronnie's' or 'Dirty Bird' every day is endangering their child, but no one is calling Child Services or the New York Times.

I'm probably guilty of many endangering activities, raising kids in small Northern communities, but they turned out to be well adjusted (compared to me) young adults.

But the family does what the family does, and the kids go along for the ride.

As far as I'm concerned there were three outcomes; They completed their circumnavigation; they had to ask for help or; they lost everything and perished. I think they did O.K. and the family is stronger for the experience.

I don't usually post my opinions, as the opinion/a**hole saying goes, "everyone has one and everyone else's stinks". I'd just like to say that the outcome was better than it could have been.

Peace, Brutha'

Goat
Old 13-04-2014, 07:52   #171

Peace back to you Goat, a fellow Albertan. My thoughts are that we have chapters in our lives and changes are not only inevitable but also good for us.
Its not uncommon for dreams to be shattered or not fulfilled. I agree with most folks here that are just happy nothing terrible happened to the family. I'd be real surprised if the family jumped back into a boat and headed offshore again anytime soon but hey I've been wrong before so who knows!
Old 13-04-2014, 07:56   #172
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

But the family does what the family does, and the kids go along for the ride.
The problem is of course , where you draw the line, that attitude you mention has allowed some crazy situations with kids to develop. ( not in this case I hasten to add )

Hence as a society, we do " draw the line" , what was acceptable circumstances for kids , 20, 30, 50, 100 years ago , is not regarded as acceptable today.

In particular , society has restructured it's thinking to prevent danger to children in almost every case. Is this good , I don't know. But it's the way the world is and unfortunately we all live in it.

I saw a good quote recently

" all boys should be exposed to a series of dangerous events that " nearly" kills them " , it's was a tongue in cheek comment

Notice I don't think anyone hear is talking about the " removal of children " . It's more about the wisdom of taking certain actions in the knowledge that you have at the time.

Dave

Old 13-04-2014, 08:38   #173

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Help in now doubt by the 6 crew !

Dave

Although it is frowned upon, it is a lot easier today to safely cross oceans with limited crew, as in two people (or one) than it was when this chap was growing up. AIS alerts on a $200 VHF are pretty priceless if you want to see what is coming that might run over you. You can't see anything in the water that is half submerged at night and half the time during the day, so there are some risks that are hard to mitigate. The whale we hit 800 miles north of Kauai once was completely invisible, but that is why you want a strong hull and why some of us prefer keel hung rudders. Point is, two people can safely cross oceans, even if they are half dopey from lack of sleep for the trip.

What you can't compensate very well for is when half the crew hates being there, is sick and busy tending to very young kids. Then six adults may not be enough for the job.
Old 13-04-2014, 08:45   #174
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Although it is frowned upon, it is a lot easier today to safely cross oceans with limited crew, as in two people (or one) than it was when this chap was growing up. AIS alerts on a $200 VHF are pretty priceless if you want to see what is coming that might run over you. You can't see anything in the water that is half submerged at night and half the time during the day, so there are some risks that are hard to mitigate. The whale we hit 800 miles north of Kauai once was completely invisible, but that is why you want a strong hull and why some of us prefer keel hung rudders. Point is, two people can safely cross oceans, even if they are half dopey from lack of sleep for the trip.

What you can't compensate very well for is when half the crew hates being there, is sick and busy tending to very young kids. Then six adults may not be enough for the job.

I agree, what happens today, is that production boats are so capable and the support system on board so advanced ( I heard a quote recently, that the average yacht today has more advanced systems then a 747 10 years ago) , that we consider voyages that heretofore would have required either extraordinary fortitude, luck or a combination of both.

Now we can push off , safe in the knowledge of all the systems

The one thing we forget is that humans haven't had any upgrades applied and are basically running on beta software.

Dave

Old 13-04-2014, 09:12   #175

As an inexperienced newbie I have been avoiding commenting although I have been reading some of the posts in both threads figuring I can learn something. All I want to say is Eric and Charlotte have real balls. Although I am in the planning stages of soon taking my kids out cruising, I honestly cannot fathom, as a Mom, making a 3000 mile crossing with 2 babies and 2 adults. If nothing else, the adult to child ratio would never work for me. Maybe if the kids were older like, 9 and 10 or something that would be different for me. But I would have wanted at MINIMUM another capable adult onboard. Not at all criticizing, I would never dream of doing that, as I have yet to get out there, I really can't say to much, but I know for sure they have real balls and I think that I would be way to chicken sh*t to do that journey with that adult to baby ratio. Taking care of 2 children of that age is a full time job, and I can only imagine this job would be magnified at sea, and especially at rough sea. So who is there to help with the boat handling and watches etc. when one adult is exclusively dedicated to babysitting? I know that it has been done by others with babies, but it really does take steel balls...I couldn't do it.
Old 13-04-2014, 09:15   #176

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
and he had decent light air sails.
They had an old used drifter that he admitted they did not expect to last more than a day or two, and an old piece of bamboo he was going to use as a whisker pole. They did not have enough fuel to compensate for calmer conditions.

Knowing they needed to cross the ITCZ, that was the extent of their preparation.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 13-04-2014, 09:18   #177

Boat: Catalina 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
As an inexperienced newbie I have been avoiding commenting although I have been reading some of the posts in both threads figuring I can learn something. All I want to say is Eric and Charlotte have real balls. Although I am in the planning stages of soon taking my kids out cruising, I honestly cannot fathom, as a Mom, making a 3000 mile crossing with 2 babies and 2 adults. If nothing else, the adult to child ratio would never work for me. Maybe if the kids were older like, 9 and 10 or something that would be different for me. But I would have wanted at MINIMUM another capable adult onboard. Not at all criticizing, I would never dream of doing that, as I have yet to get out there, I really can't say to much, but I know for sure they have real balls and I think that I would be way to chicken sh*t to do that journey with that adult to baby ratio. Taking care of 2 children of that age is a full time job, and I can only imagine this job would be magnified at sea, and especially at rough sea. So who is there to help with the boat handling and watches etc. when one adult is exclusively dedicated to babysitting? I know that it has been done by others with babies, but it really does take steel balls...I couldn't do it.
As a childless adult I can't fathom dealing with two babies in ANY situation. We all adapt to what we have and what we are capable of dealing with.
Old 13-04-2014, 09:33   #178

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
GG,

How is your boat search going? If the Kaufmans have balls of steel, you must have a titanium pair. With no experience, your plans are for getting 150,000 lb powerboat that is 40 years old and setting off.

I still wish you would consider a smaller, much newer vessel in the displacement range that you could learn on. Not every child needs their own stateroom.
Old 13-04-2014, 09:40   #179
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The one thing we forget is that humans haven't had any upgrades applied and are basically running on beta software.

Dave
Priceless!
Old 13-04-2014, 09:41   #180
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

I can't even fathom any other human being onboard
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising, rib