Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2014, 15:11   #601
Eternal Member

Re: Rebel Heart's Contribution to the Cruising Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman
Of course, Moitessier lost more than one boat (three was it?), including Joshua. So, there is that.
Which makes about one every 75,000 miles or so.
One of the better anecdotes related in Herb McCormick's wonderful book about the Pardeys AS LONG AS IT'S FUN, is that at the time JOSHUA went up on the beach at Cabo during the infamous storm in '82, Moitessier was in an apartment in town smoking dope with the actor Klaus Kinski... :-)

BERNARD MOITESSIER: What Really Happened to Joshua

Old 17-04-2014, 15:16   #602

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Since we have no new info from Eric, we might as well talk about something else for a moment…..

Why Blog and give personal details of your live online....three reasons:
1) $$
2) Ego
3) $$

We made an "easy" $150 to $250/mo from our blog while actively cruising. The more traffic you get to your site/blog then the more money you can make. You don't really think the Bumfuzzles blog just for "fun" do you? I put "easy" in quotes because keeping interesting posts up on a blog is WORK. Once you start making a few hundred dollars a month from writing and sharing your adventure, thoughts and opinions, it's addictive and besides $200 goes a long way on a cruising budget.

I fell into all three of the above. Sure I enjoyed it, but I also viewed and referred to it as "work" needing to write a fresh blog post 2-4 times a week to keep interest and most of the other cruising bloggers I met out cruising had the same feelings about their blog, which was: It started out as fun, then became a way to make some extra cruising money, then it was an ego stroker, and then it became work. The better the blog, the better the writers ability to make it seem less like work and more like talking to 1500 of your closest friends via email and being a "normal guy".

Once a week AT LEAST, I get a call from a cruiser outfitting their boat asking if I will give them a discount because they have "a very popular cruising blog". In exchange for a free water maker or Refrigeration unit they will talk favorably about us on their blog, I'm told. I've already had 3 of that type of call just this week! I tell them what I tell everyone, no thanks. We are happy to have our clients blog about our water maker or products, but we don't buy favorable blog posts with discounts.

This money making mindset out there these days. I'm not saying Eric and crew thought this way and viewed their blog as a money maker....but heck...you don't write a Cruising Mexico Book after a year of being down there with limited anchorage experience because you want to share your expert knowledge with your fellow cruisers. Eric did it to make money and publicity. There is nothing wrong with this...but we also need to be realistic about what blogs are and how people are using them these days for "fame and fortune".

One old time cruiser I met while we were in Mexico asked me if anyone just buys a boat and goes cruising anymore without having the need to grab a slice of fame with their blog. He has circled the world twice and lived aboard with his wife for 30 yrs, but no one knew him. He wasn't famous. He didn't have a blog, facebook page, or internet presence. I have learned more from him about cruising and boats than from any other person…yet you have never heard of him, read his books, or helped him make money with his blog with a “Donate to us” button.
Old 17-04-2014, 15:27   #603
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Unless you beleive humans are de-evolving.
They aren't devolving, just concentrating into groups. That's because the smart people marry each other and have 1-2 kids, or wait too long working on their education and careers and can not have kids. So their genes are lucky to past on.

But Bubba the Moron marries Marybeth the Idiot that was willing and they have 4-6 kids all named Bubba Jr and MB2&3. And Bubba is "smart" so knows that Kittery the Cat is less smarter so he meets up with her when she is in heat and they have a litter or 3. Then the litter grows up and goes looking for mates and runs into Jr and the MBs and they have a few of their own! Till 20 years later Bubba meets up with those and gets some "nice young thing", making a little more inbreeding.

And the banjo music plays on till they don't have enough fingers to play it.

And if you don't know the truth in this .........................
Old 17-04-2014, 15:37   #604
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
They aren't devolving, just concentrating into groups. That's because the smart people marry each other and have 1-2 kids, or wait too long working on their education and careers and can not have kids. So their genes are lucky to past on.

But Bubba the Moron marries Marybeth the Idiot that was willing and they have 4-6 kids all named Bubba Jr and MB2&3. And Bubba is "smart" so knows that Kittery the Cat is less smarter so he meets up with her when she is in heat and they have a litter or 3. Then the litter grows up and goes looking for mates and runs into Jr and the MBs and they have a few of their own! Till 20 years later Bubba meets up with those and gets some "nice young thing", making a little more inbreeding.

And the banjo music plays on till they don't have enough fingers to play it.

And if you don't know the truth in this .........................

Wow. Just wow.

Dave
Old 17-04-2014, 15:58   #605
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Unless you beleive humans are de-evolving. There is no evidence to suggest sailors are less tenacious.

Dave
Sailors of old who shirked work or didnt work hard enough were whipped till the bones of their backs shone through and blood smeared the deck.

By crikey, lad, you would be tenacious after I had a go with the cat 'o nine tails!

Yes, today we are all pussy.

But thats because we done allow the physical and mental torture of just a generation ago.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 17-04-2014, 16:02   #606
Jud

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Sailors of old who shirked work or didnt work hard enough were whipped till the bones of their backs shone through and blood smeared the deck.

By crikey, lad, you would be tenacious after I had a go with the cat 'o nine tails!

Yes, today we are all pussy.

But thats because we done allow the physical and mental torture of just a generation ago.
What exactly do you mean by "pussy"? Are you referring to cats, or to the female genitalia?

Sorry, mate, just yankin' your chain there. Oops, leg I mean. (Chain may be inappropriate vocabulary in this delicate crowd.)
Old 17-04-2014, 16:22   #607

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
Good stuff, Jon. Good to hear from you too, man! As someone else noted, summarizing that classic American libertarian Harry Browne, who wrote "How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World," laying low is the best strategy.
Hola Jud, long time no speak.... did Jon send you the keys?

Wotchaupto apart from busting your mast?

El Ping aka CdS
Old 17-04-2014, 17:03   #608
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa

After discussion by the site team this thread is being shut down.

We wish only the best for Eric and his family and hope that they are able to put this behind them and move forward. If you have comments of questions please contact Rebel Heart directly. Let's respect their request for some breathing room and find some other topic to natter about.

Thank you.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising, rib