Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2014, 09:48   #181
cruiser

Re: Rebel Heart's Contribution to the Cruising Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
I can't even fathom any other human being onboard
I can understand where you're coming from, a primate would certainly make more sense.
Old 13-04-2014, 10:09   #182

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

I saw a good quote recently

" all boys should be exposed to a series of dangerous events that " nearly" kills them " , it's was a tongue in cheek comment

Notice I don't think anyone hear is talking about the " removal of children " . It's more about the wisdom of taking certain actions in the knowledge that you have at the time.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A common quote we used time and time again in the mountains was "if it doesn't kill you, it can only make you stronger". That was way before Kelly Clarkson made it famous.

It is true within reason of course. Bad things are never planned, but should be expected. How we deal with it builds character and strengthens us. Too most living in a bubble society, they cannot comprehend this and thus post negative non sense as we have witnessed.
Old 13-04-2014, 10:10   #183
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Priceless!

I dunno, seems to fly in the face of evolution to me. Humans are constantly updating, nonstop. If we were still in Beta, we'd still be Neanderthal or Denisovans or Australopithecine or something....

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Old 13-04-2014, 10:13   #184
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Cowboy View Post
It is true within reason of course. Bad things are never planned, but should be expected. How we deal with it builds character and strengthens us. Too most living in a bubble society, they cannot comprehend this and thus post negative non sense as we have witnessed.
Well that didn't save the Albatross much in a white-squall in 1961, did it?

"Where lies the final harbor from whence we unmoor no more…"
Old 13-04-2014, 10:15   #185
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I dunno, seems to fly in the face of evolution to me. Humans are constantly updating, nonstop. If we were still in Beta, we'd still be Neanderthal or Denisovans or Australopithecine or something....
Only a few humans seem to have access to the software updates. I read a study showing that the human brain has actually been shrinking in size over the past few thousand years. Either use it or loose it I guess.

My brain apparently peaked back in 1985.... since then, I've been on the waiting list for an upgrade. Even 1MB would be nice.
Old 13-04-2014, 10:19   #186
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Only a few humans seem to have access to the software updates. I read a study showing that the human brain has actually been shrinking in size over the past few thousand years. Either use it or loose it I guess.
Really? I'd like that reference, because from what I've read in Anatomy it's been constant.
Old 13-04-2014, 10:20   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
GG,

How is your boat search going? If the Kaufmans have balls of steel, you must have a titanium pair. With no experience, your plans are for getting 150,000 lb powerboat that is 40 years old and setting off.

I still wish you would consider a smaller, much newer vessel in the displacement range that you could learn on. Not every child needs their own stateroom.
Hoping to survey next week. Thanks for asking.

30 year old boats are common, and only half that weight. Don't worry, I'll be fine and I'll learn and won't do anything stupid or endangering in the process.

Spatial need is really a personal choice.

I'm planning coastal cruising with my kids. I wouldn't say that qualifies me as having balls, although I would like to think that I don't let fear and restriction run my life, as many do. But...your thread here isn't about me. We get enough of that at "completely"...
Old 13-04-2014, 10:23   #188

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473
Rebel Heart's Contribution to the Cruising Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Well that didn't save the Albatross much in a white-squall in 1961, did it?

"Where lies the final harbor from whence we unmoor no more…"
I enjoyed that movie. Even bought it. I will never forget the scene where Bridges is staring at his wife , who just woke up, through the hatch as the boat is going down, and there was nothing he could do to save her.
Old 13-04-2014, 10:30   #189
cruiser

@ Cowboy/ Yehaw. Burns a hole in my heart too. And the kid below unable to be freed
Old 13-04-2014, 10:31   #190

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Hoping to survey next week. Thanks for asking.

30 year old boats are common, and only half that weight. Don't worry, I'll be fine and I'll learn and won't do anything stupid or endangering in the process.

Spatial need is really a personal choice.

I'm planning coastal cruising with my kids. I wouldn't say that qualifies me as having balls, although I would like to think that I don't let fear and restriction run my life, as many do. But...your thread here isn't about me. We get enough of that at "completely"...
GG,

Everyone that knows me knows I don't care about drift on any thread I start, so with that in mind, I'm pleased to see coastal is your new goal and you didn't go the 150,000 lb route. You and your kids might really enjoy The Great Loop, and to me coastal still means runs out to the Bahamas. There is something out there you might like, and at 26,000 lbs would be a good fit, sleeps 9, and very economical to both purchase and operate. 1985 Logical Power Catamaran Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I just would like you to be able to take command of your vessel after a weekend with the owner going over the systems, docking, anchoring, piloting, DR, comms, etc., instead of needing a stranger on board for all vessel movements.
Old 13-04-2014, 10:44   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
GG,

Everyone that knows me knows I don't care about drift on any thread I start, so with that in mind, I'm pleased to see coastal is your new goal and you didn't go the 150,000 lb route. You and your kids might really enjoy The Great Loop, and to me coastal still means runs out to the Bahamas. There is something out there you might like, and at 26,000 lbs would be a good fit, sleeps 9, and very economical to both purchase and operate. 1985 Logical Power Catamaran Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Coastal is my SHORT TERM goal. I'll get over to Europe within 5 years or so, wait and see. But for now, I'll get my feet wet slowly

That cat is a cute boat, but I think that the one that I chose is perfect, for us, for now.
Old 13-04-2014, 10:50   #192
cruiser

GG what is your final boat choice? We know you don't want a cat.
Old 13-04-2014, 10:56   #193

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Coastal is my SHORT TERM goal. I'll get over to Europe within 5 years or so, wait and see. But for now, I'll get my feet wet slowly

That cat is a cute boat, but I think that the one that I chose is perfect, for us, for now.
Cute, well I guess, but the main thing is how it is outfitted you can tell that the owners were both knowledgeable and wanted to cruise, not just hang at the marinas. Not many powerboats of this size has HF SSB, not to mention L16 house batteries and 3000 watt inverters. Electric galley and 12 kw gen set, modern electronic chart plotters (2), and all at that price.

If the boat your looking at falls through, you might want to have a look at this one.
Old 13-04-2014, 11:05   #194
cruiser

She's been saying no to a cat from the minute she joined up over a year ago. She has a mental pic of herself in a big ass yacht and the cat has no place in her vision. She's literally stated it a hundred times.
Old 13-04-2014, 12:45   #195

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
... I heard a quote recently, that the average yacht today has more advanced systems then a 747 10 years ago...
Sorry, that was a very misleading quote. The average Cessna from 20 years ago had more advanced systems than the average yacht today. A 10 year old 747 (which is mostly what is flying today) is incredibly advanced compared to the few small rinky-dink systems on your average yacht being sold today.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising, rib