Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2011, 19:23   #1

Boat: Prout Event 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Aussie_Sequoia
Real Delivery Cost - An Experiment

I have been searching the CF forum for the last 5 hours straight trying to track down some information about deliver costs to Australia. What I find is that the info spans quite a few years and may not be to date and of course comparing apples to apples is difficult when reading threads that started from many different topics.

So, here's my experiment:

Let's standardize the equation- 40 ft sailboat (give for take 1 or 2 feet might be OK?) delivered from:

1) the West Coast of the US
2) the East Coast of the US

Delivered to East Coast of Australia by:

1) Paid skipper and crew (delivery service)
2) Cargo ship (in a container or custom cradle)

If you have personally done any of these combinations recently, please post you cost. Delivery cost only - eg: the amount charged by the company or service - I'm not interested in import costs or extras.

Since this info is not compiled anywhere else I have looked, it should be interesting as many more Australians are looking at boats in the US and asking about it here!
Aussie_Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 19:43   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Real Delivery Cost - an experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_Sequoia View Post
I have been searching the CF forum for the last 5 hours straight trying to track down some information about deliver costs to Australia. What I find is that the info spans quite a few years and may not be to date and of course comparing apples to apples is difficult when reading threads that started from many different topics.

So, here's my experiment:

Let's standardize the equation- 40 ft sailboat (give for take 1 or 2 feet might be OK?) delivered from:

1) the West Coast of the US
2) the East Coast of the US

Delivered to East Coast of Australia by:

1) Paid skipper and crew (delivery service)
2) Cargo ship (in a container or custom cradle)

If you have personally done any of these combinations recently, please post you cost. Delivery cost only - eg: the amount charged by the company or service - I'm not interested in import costs or extras.

Since this info is not compiled anywhere else I have looked, it should be interesting as many more Australians are looking at boats in the US and asking about it here!
Dunno about all... but in general size does not enter the equation.. most charge a milage fee plus expenses which are usually travel/food/fuel and any marina/repair charges incurred along the way...
As for the milage rate... it varies from $1.50/mile to $4+/mile... generally the service is good to excellent... but there are 'Noobs' fresh outa school with their crisp new certificates and no experience...
Or the occasional 'Pisstaker' as in Red Dragons case where they come out... have a free holiday then buga off...
Its down to you to sort the 'Wheat from the Chaff'....
All any Aussie has to do is post something like... 'Delivery Quote Wanted' and he'll soon find out with PM's....
For shipping costs... ask a shipping company...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 18:55   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Real Delivery Cost - an Experiment

Why are you asking us to do your research for you? You can Google - Yacht Delivery and get the names and contacts for the shipping companies that transport yachts all over the world. You can on-line fill out the quotation request forms and get back a "real-life" quote of what each costs.
- - As to delivery Captains, it is the same thing. Google "Yacht delivery" and you will get hundreds of outfits that will give you a quote for the delivery to Oz.
- - As boatman61 said, the quoted amounts for Captain yacht deliveries can vary wildly all over the spectrum depending upon the experience and references for each outfit.
- - For a simple 1200nm delivery from the Caribbean to Florida, I was quoted prices with over 100% variation.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 21:56   #4

Boat: Prout Event 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Aussie_Sequoia

I never asked any one to do any research for me. I am perfectly capable of that (and I do). What I did ask, was for anyone who has done this recently to share their experience.

Obviously you haven't so you really didn't need to post

This is a community forum. Full of people who share experiences with each other. I've seen dozens of posts started just like the one I did saying: if you've done something like this... chime in!

What I do see here, more and more, is people asking about delivering yachts from the US to Australia. Personally I would sail mine myself... so I don't even need any of this info - but I thought I'd see if folks could compile their own experiences into one thread (since my earlier research was spread over many dozens of threads)... and it might help curb some of the repeat questions that keep popping up.

Perhaps not many have actually had a yacht delivered lately - and that's fine... it was, after all, an experiment
Aussie_Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 02:24   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

i delivered a 33ft yacht from hawaii to bundaberg last year,and the total costs,including 2 air tickets were in the region of £9000
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 03:12   #6

Hi, this is my 1st time online with the forum. I too am looking for a rough estimate to transport (shipped or skippered) a Bavaria 50 from Abu Dhabi/ Dubai to either a port in South East Asia or Australia. We are thinking about buying the yacht but these costs down the track will have an impact on our decision. Any help would be appreciated.
Nealm86.
nealm86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 03:58   #7

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

There is a thread on it in here, Two actually,
Its a excell broadsheet of what it currently costs,
I also got a broker to send me a copy of getting a brand new boat to here from the USA,
They list all the costs, and the hidden ones as well.

I know this because I am currently importing a cat from Fiji.

Importing a boat to Australia I think its called.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 06:15   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Nealm86.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 07:07   #9

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Aussies dont complain boats are too expensive, Thats the thread that I just put in the full costs of importing a boat from BVI to OZ,

Came from a broker 2 weeks ago, for a boat I was looking at importing.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delivery, experiment