Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2015, 07:23   #31

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Re-naming or not?

I'm of the rational school of thought, and lean toward atheism. I changed the name without any ceremony.

The boat was struck by lightning at her mooring within 6 weeks of launch. I believe it had nothing to do with the renaming. Boats that haven't been renamed have also been struck.

Do what you want. Believe what you want. You're free to choose your god(s). Have a party anyway to celebrate the renaming or just to celebrate the new boat.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 08:44   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1977 Cuttyhunk 59 Ketch, "Diva" in Trinidad
Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff S.

When I bought Diva, she had a name that triggered my gag reflex: "Pearl of Paradise". Ack. Superstition or no, there was no way I was going to be able to say that name over a radio with a straight face. She'd had a rough time of it during the tenure of the namer's ownership...a brief, failed attempt at two-bit chartering in the BVIs (judging from the state of the sails, running rigging, mechanicals, and the ridiculous number of coffee pots and strudel pans in the galley, they merely motored back and forth from Tortola to Jost Van Dyke serving coffee and pastries) , then packed full of detritus and left to rot upon the hard for six years. So, I figured if Poseidon rewards good seamanship, a clean break from her neglected past would not offend.

We did the full-blown renaming ceremony as described by John Vigor, saluting the winds of the cardinal points and the big P himself. We couldn't find a bottle of actual champagne to save our life, so instead we talked the owner of the marina bar into parting with his 5-year-old Christmas Commemorative Edition magnum of Heineken. My crew and I were beer drinkers anyway. Given the appalling dry rot and termite damage that prompted my surveyor to write in capital letters "NOT SAFE TO VOYAGE" at the bottom of his assessment, we didn't dare whack any part of her with a heavy glass bottle, so we popped the cork and poured our tributes fore, aft, port and starboard during the ceremony. At the end, we removed the tarp covering up the new vinyl lettering, though her old name was still clearly legible in the oxidized gelcoat. Technically, one is supposed to destroy any mention of the old name in paperwork or log books... we really didn't have that luxury, as we needed to be able to show proof of sale, etc.

We then set sail for Chaguaramas for her inevitable ground-up refit (still, 13 years later, still not quite done, sigh) and en route had just about everything go wrong that could go wrong, but we did arrive alive and barely afloat. Some have argued that our trials en voyage were proof of Poseidon's wrath, but I look at all that as hangovers from the previous era. Particularly since the 18 days of our Ship of Fools Cruise were in late July/early August—firmly in Storm Season—and not one major squall hit us on the way.

Ironically, her current name was bestowed upon her by my unfaithful ex-wife...some would say that's got way more Bad Mojo than anything Neptune could dish out. But the name has turned out to be appropriate with regard to her expensive tastes and my slavish devotion to restoring her to her former glory.

Hm, I thought I had a point to make here...I guess a certain amount of superstition is healthy, reflecting one's reverence for the power of Mom Nature. It goes hand-in-hand with checking your oil and rigging with religious fervor. But when you pick up the transceiver to hail a port, you gotta love the name you're stating.

I think "Svalan" is a lovely name. Beats the heck out of dumbass pun names like "Sea Ya", "Seas the Day", and "Master Baiter".

Cheers,
Geoff
Old 25-05-2015, 09:30   #33

Boat: 37C Hunter

We have wanted to rename our boat since we purchased her a year and a half ago. Her current name is Obsession which we don't care for, though members of our family have told us it fits us perfectly. The only thing that is keeping us from renaming is the paperwork involved. (It's such a hassle.) I think it's important to have a boat name that reflects who you are and/or what your boating life is all about though. So eventually we'll get it done.

I vote for naming her something you love.

Camile
mountainsandseashore.blogspot,.com
ObsessionSTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 14:25   #34
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

My current boat is named Drifter. There wasn't enough room on the transom for "High Seas Drifter". 🙀

The original name was "Banker's Hours". Yuck pewey. I'd have to wear a paper sack over my head every where we went until finally replacing the paper sack for a plastic one.

If I were superstitious, which I'm not, I would suspect the boat is grateful.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Quantum Entagelment
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 15:31   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff S. View Post

I think "Svalan" is a lovely name. Beats the heck out of dumbass pun names like "Sea Ya", "Seas the Day", and "Master Baiter".

Cheers,
Geoff
I once thought all the pun names were less appealing until I saw a beauiful yellow/cream Huckins with "Hoosier Daddy" on the transom.