Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2015, 21:34   #1

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re-fitting in St.Croix, Parts & Service Availability

I may be taking a gig to re-fit a boat in St. Croix (USVI), prior to delivering said vessel. The catch being that I'm REAL thin on knowledge in terms of the availability of parts & services for yachts in said locale.
"Specifically", everything from sandpaper & paint, to rigging components & sail makers.

Might anyone be kind enough to steer me in the right direction, & or post some relevant links.
And also, if you have tips on getting both equipment, as well as boatbuilding type materials shipped in, that info would be appreciated as well.

Thanks

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 23:17   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Re-fitting in St.Croix, Parts & Service Availability

Depends on what you mean by refit. I have gotten some stuff at St Croix Marine, and there are hardware stores within walking distance. They have docks, and there are transient moorings. However, for a major refit I'd take the boat over to Red Hook, where there is a lot more infrastructure. If you stay in St Croix you will be spending a lot of time either waiting for parts to come over on the vomit comet, or going yourself.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 02:13   #3

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Re-fitting in St.Croix, Parts & Service Availability

The vomit comet is no more. A few years ago it was driven up on Great St James and no ferry has taken it's place.

As mentioned by DonR, if it were me, I'd be heading over to St Thomas where there are more options and more availability. This wouldn't be the first St Croix boat I've seen come over here for major work. I've never heard of anybody going to St Croix to have work done, not saying there aren't some good techs and some supplies there.

As far as shipping, it depends. USPS provides cheap, but slow shipping and won't ship paints and bulky type stuff. All the other carriers UPS, FedEx etc can get you stuff quickly but will consider everything next day International and will cost you huge money. Feel fee to PM me for additional info.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts, service