Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 18:23   #1

Not sure if this is the right sub category but here goes. Anyone have any exp re cutting or using a in mast furled main on a slab reef slide track setup. I'm completely ignorant of if there are any construction differences in the build of a in mast furled main. The reason I ask is I am looking for a used main for our boat and the majority of mains that I can find within usable dim are in mast furled.

Thanks
Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 18:44   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Re cutting a main

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingscotts View Post
Not sure if this is the right sub category but here goes. Anyone have any exp re cutting or using a in mast furled main on a slab reef slide track setup. I'm completely ignorant of if there are any construction differences in the build of a in mast furled main. The reason I ask is I am looking for a used main for our boat and the majority of mains that I can find within usable dim are in mast furled.

Thanks
In-mast roller furled mains have negative roach and no battons. If the sail is not stretched or past its UV life you should be able to make it do but with a lot of revision. You could consider adding positive roach and battons. There will be no reefing cringles or alternate tacs. It would need to be modified quite a bit to add these items. The Luff will have a bolt rope to run up the furler exactly as a roller furle jib. THere will be no cars or slugs. I strongly suggest you first consult with a sailmaker first. You may find the costs to modify are not what you had in mind. My opinion is that you should look for a better fit to start with.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 18:59   #3

Thanks for the info all negatives for my rig. Little bummed out had decent main available for a recut and took it to shattauer today and got the thumbs down too many things to modify to make it work. Found a couple maybes on bacon so the search continues.
Old 09-07-2012, 20:19   #4

Re: Re cutting a main

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingscotts View Post
Thanks for the info all negatives for my rig. Little bummed out had decent main available for a recut and took it to shattauer today and got the thumbs down too many things to modify to make it work. Found a couple maybes on bacon so the search continues.
A good source with many sizes is minneys..

they do ship.

Best of luck...
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 20:24   #5

Been there too, Minnie's and Bacon seem to have the best web info and inventory. It is pretty cool that in jan we still had no idea what we would do for a main mast and now I'm head scratching about sails. Found a really good fit at Bacon from St Michaels loft on the east coast originally on a Farr41. Anybody use this loft before?

Thanks for the heads up