Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2018, 15:07   #16

Boat: 1979 Cape Dory 30 Cutter
Re: Raymarine Autopilot Wireless Remote

Rob,

The remote would work for at least a few minutes.

There is one circuit board inside the 4000+. If the buttons are failing, the rest of the circuit board is on it's way out.

That being said, the 4000+ is very serviceable. You could take it to just about any electronics wizard and get it fixed if the PCB isn't badly corroded.
J.Kitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 15:18   #17

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Check all connections before you do anything hung. A little corrosion will sink a boat

Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 20:57   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Kitchens View Post
Correct indeed!

I have had many customers who purchased one controller for their autopilot and put it at the nav station and then rely on a wireless remote in the cockpit. They come to me saying "My remote freaked out and I was having to run in and out of the cabin to control the autopilot. I need a second controller."

I happily sell them a shiny new p70s but they would have been better served installing it to start with. You pay more (either in time or money) by not having a dedicated wired autopilot controller in the cockpit in the beginning.

As they say... The cheap man pays twice.

I'm all for saving money. The whole reason I started JK Navigation was to save people money. If your going to use an autopilot you need a wired controller in the cockpit. Everything else is an accessory.
Agree with you on having a real wired controller at the helm.
Old 21-11-2018, 23:23   #19

Boat: Hunter 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-TechSystems View Post
Agree with you on having a real wired controller at the helm.
If I update to the P70 control head what would I need? Can I still use the same wheel drive unit?
RobD527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 07:13   #20

Rob,

There are four parts to every autopilot.

1. Course Computer - Main electronics
2. Control Head - Screen and buttons
3. Drive - Mechanical part that turns rudder
4. Compass - Finds heading

Every autopilot has these but sometimes the manufacturer combines parts in order to lower the price.

With the 4000+(your autopilot) the manufacturer combined the course computer and the control head into one piece. Therefore, if you are having a problem with your control head you are also having a problem with your course computer.

The p70s is a control head. You can use almost any Raymarine control head with almost any Raymarine course computer; if you have the right cables.

You could add a new control head to your current system and likely get buy for a little while but ultimately you need a new course computer also.

Your drive is essentially nothing more than an electric motor and some gears. It will work with almost any course computer. Raymarine or otherwise.

To answer your question

You would need:

1. E70328 Raymarine p70s
2. A06047 Raymarine SeaTalkNG to SeaTalk1 Cable
3. D22 Raymarine Jumper Block
4. D285 Raymarine Extension Cable

Yes, you can use the same wheel drive unit.

To be clear this is NOT an update it is an addition or an accessory. This may solve your problem for a short time but you need a new course computer.
Old 22-11-2018, 11:27   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Kitchens View Post
Rob,

There are four parts to every autopilot.

1. Course Computer - Main electronics
2. Control Head - Screen and buttons
3. Drive - Mechanical part that turns rudder
4. Compass - Finds heading

Every autopilot has these but sometimes the manufacturer combines parts in order to lower the price.

With the 4000+(your autopilot) the manufacturer combined the course computer and the control head into one piece. Therefore, if you are having a problem with your control head you are also having a problem with your course computer.

The p70s is a control head. You can use almost any Raymarine control head with almost any Raymarine course computer; if you have the right cables.

You could add a new control head to your current system and likely get buy for a little while but ultimately you need a new course computer also.

Your drive is essentially nothing more than an electric motor and some gears. It will work with almost any course computer. Raymarine or otherwise.

To answer your question

You would need:

1. E70328 Raymarine p70s
2. A06047 Raymarine SeaTalkNG to SeaTalk1 Cable
3. D22 Raymarine Jumper Block
4. D285 Raymarine Extension Cable

Yes, you can use the same wheel drive unit.

To be clear this is NOT an update it is an addition or an accessory. This may solve your problem for a short time but you need a new course computer.
The 4000+ is the course computer and control head so I wouldn't be able to add the P70s control head without buying a course computer also? or are you saying I can jump from the existing 4000+ control head to the P70s control head?
Old 22-11-2018, 11:39   #22

The parts I suggested will plug into the back of the 4000+ and you will be able to control the 4000+ with the p70s. But your 4000+ is failing and you will soon need a course computer.

The best and ultimately most cost effective thing for you to do is buy a whole new Raymarine EV-100. These are about $1300 and should include most if not all of what you need.

There are only so many ways I can explain this. If you are unable to comprehend you should hire a professional marine electronics technician to sort this out for you.
Old 23-11-2018, 10:47   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobD527 View Post
Im sure you talk like this to customers face to face? Not very professional so take your advice and stick it you know where.
I have been as clear as I can. Maybe someone else can explain it to you better but as far as I can tell you don't understand what I have said over and over again.

I'm trying to help you. If that is the way you respond to help you can take your questions else where.

Everything you need to know is written in this thread. Do with it as you will. I am done.
Old 23-11-2018, 10:57   #24

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49

Quote:
Im sure you talk like this to customers face to face? Not very professional so take your advice and stick it you know where.
Obviously you do not understand what he is saying. There is no need to be rude. Comments like this will keep people from helping you in the future.

I wouldn't have gone to the trouble of helping you as much as he did. He didn't have to do it but he was you needed it and wanted to help. What does he gain from helping you? Are you buying the new parts from him? Did he link to his website or ask you to PM or call him. Nope. He was helping you because he is a nice guy.
Old 23-11-2018, 11:00   #25

Quote:
this is exactly why i would like to know if the remote would work
Ask Raymarine...
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 11:16   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelMe View Post
Obviously you do not understand what he is saying. There is no need to be rude. Comments like this will keep people from helping you in the future.

I wouldn't have gone to the trouble of helping you as much as he did. He didn't have to do it but he was you needed it and wanted to help. What does he gain from helping you? Are you buying the new parts from him? Did he link to his website or ask you to PM or call him. Nope. He was helping you because he is a nice guy.
I would help anyone the same but I would never tell someone if they don't comprehend to hire a professional.
Old 23-11-2018, 11:46   #27

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49

I see nothing wrong with telling someone to hire a professional if they can not comprehend.

No one is obligated to hold your hand just so you can save a buck. Those who try are not at fault if they can't give you the help that you need. Sometimes hiring a pro is exactly what you need.

At this point, you should be able to read what has been posted and sort out your autopilot. If not you should hire a professional.
Old 23-11-2018, 11:50   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelMe View Post
I see nothing wrong with telling someone to hire a professional if they can not comprehend.

No one is obligated to hold your hand just so you can save a buck. Those who try are not at fault if they can't give you the help that you need. Sometimes hiring a pro is exactly what you need.

At this point, you should be able to read what has been posted and sort out your autopilot. If not you should hire a professional.
I wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing before spending thousands on new electronics. I figured it out today at West Marine and bought what I needed
Old 30-11-2018, 14:50   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnischt View Post
I have an ST7001 control head and smart controller remote. If you are interested, make me a reasonable offer.
Hello, I have a ST7000 plus type 3. If this set up is compatible with the smart remote controler I would be interested. Do you know if it is? Could you send some pictures?
Thk in advance - Edventure
edventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:39   #30

Boat: Hunter 41

I can send you pictures on 12/10. I am out of town until then.
wnischt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, marine, raymarine, remote