Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2019, 16:26   #1

Boat: 1984 Hobie Holder 12'
Rank the different boat brands

I’m hoping this doesn’t come across as too dumb of a question, but I’m looking for some help in understanding boat brands/manufacturers.

I understand there are too many to cover them all. I understand it will be very subjective. I understand everyone has different sailing goals and experience. Ok - with the disclaimer out of the way - who wants to sort the different boat manufacturers into categories?

Maybe relating to cars would be helpful.

The Kia/Hyundai tier: boats that are super cheap, good for beginners, and you won’t lose too much sleep if it sinks due to the cost (no offense to Kia owners, I’m sure they’re great cars).

Honda Accord/Toyota Camry tier: solid boats, no bells or whistles, won’t turn any heads in the marina, but will get the job done and probably hold their resale value - based on my 3 months of hanging out around this forum, I’d guess Catalina’s would go here.

Lexus tier: higher end of boats that average people can afford

Feel free to add higher tiers if you’re bored, but they’re out of my range. I want to start looking at boats and would love a cheat sheet to help me quickly sort the brands.

Edit: looking at monohulls, but not opposed to multis
Salt to Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 16:42   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch
Re: Rank the different boat brands

Svsumurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 16:42   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Monohulls or Multis?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 16:48   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Monohulls or Multis?
Mono, please. Thanks.
Old 16-08-2019, 16:55   #5

Sounds like you need to hang around another 3 months.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 16:58   #6
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

the brand is only 1 piece of the puzzle, there is the model, year, and even the various options within each
Old 16-08-2019, 17:04   #7

Boat: Seafarer36c

If I could get a cheap cruising boat that has a 20 year warranty like our KIA, I would be buying it.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 17:17   #8

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

My first boss said his Ford Pinto was the “best car he ever had”. Turned out it was the only car he ever had.

I’d rank a well-maintained Kia over the lemon Mercedes my wife has. And the Kia doesn’t cost me $400 for an oil change. Best boat .... there is no such thing.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 17:31   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
My first boss said his Ford Pinto was the “best car he ever had”. Turned out it was the only car he ever had.

I’d rank a well-maintained Kia over the lemon Mercedes my wife has. And the Kia doesn’t cost me $400 for an oil change. Best boat .... there is no such thing.
Not looking for the best boat. I spoke with a Lyft driver who told me to checkout Hunters. He said they’re great boats. I was hoping it might be possible to say brands x,y,z are really good, and brands a,b,c have terrible reputations.

I knew it was a dumb question as I typed it, but I was hoping someone could simplify it for a total dummy like myself. I plan to get a boat next year and will be doing some research between now and then. There are so many brands that it’s overwhelming. I need to work on my list of what I’m looking for, and tbh, I don’t know enough to even do that yet. I’m hanging out at the marina when I can and talking to everyone (even my Lyft drivers) about sailing. Really wanted to be able to cross off some of the 200+ brands that I see on the boat classifieds, but looks like all I’m going to accomplish is a well deserved reputation around here as completely incompetent.
Old 16-08-2019, 17:35   #10
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

now you gone and done it
Old 16-08-2019, 17:38   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
the brand is only 1 piece of the puzzle, there is the model, year, and even the various options within each
Y’all are overthinking this. All thing equal, are some brands regarded as better than others?

Obviously, a brand new X will be better than a rusted out 30 yr old Y. I get that. But, generally, is Y considered a good brand to look into?

Maybe the car analogy wasn’t the best way to frame this. Maybe I’m just an idiot.
Old 16-08-2019, 17:39   #12

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

#1: Cal

#2: I don’t care.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 17:49   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

This is an impossible and even foolish request.....it would be like trying to rank the people that inhabit this planet.
There must be 1,000's of variables....makes, models, years, draft, ketch rig, schooner rigs, catboats, center cockpit, aft cockpit...the list is endless !!
On top of that....like the saying goes...some people like blondes and some people like Brunette's, so there is no accounting for personal taste, budgets, etc.
West coast boats are not always found on the east coast...
You can get steel boats, fiberglass boats, wood boats, concrete boats, plastic boats, composite boats....
Race boats....cruising boats...
I'm sure you get my drift.
If you are looking to buy a boat...start with a budget...this will narrow your search considerably. No point in walking down marina's eyeballing mega yachts with a VW budget. Likewise, peruse online....Yachtworld and many others...find a broker...etc...
Better to find a boat you like...and can afford...then ask the question...is this a good boat ??
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 17:54   #14

This summary of monohulls by John Neal is very good. See the list of boats at the end.

https://www.mahina.com/cruise.html
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 18:02   #15

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Salt to Sea,

Of course, everyone feels a need to defend his own choice, and boat choice is at the end of the day, more personal than cars, because the basic environment (the ocean) is not as safe as land for humans.

Boats that are lightly built can be very good and expensive (due to materials costs) or dreadful and prone to having issues and there's a middle ground, as well. When you have settled on a marque in which you think you might be interested, go to the owners forum and see what kinds of repairs they are discussing.

What you will eventually want is one that has been better maintained [see http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-78671.html], than the others you're interested in. Don't allow boat lust to develop till you've found exactly what you think you want, given that ALL boats are compromises.

One of the easier entry level stances is like a used Catalina 22, 27,or 30. Very common boat, easy to buy and sell, and you can learn a lot with one and have a very good time. Or, look for posts about a Hunter 27 bought by a CF member called something like <Teknishn>, sorry, I don't remember how he spelled it.

Or, look at Sailorboy1's avatar, he has a Hunter listed as hi s boat. Ask him the pros and cons. Mostly boat owners like to talk about their boats, but there is sometimes brand bashing that occurrs, which is unpleasant to deal with. Just as there is sometimes conflict between the preferences of mono vs. catamaran owners. Boats are built to price lines and their solidity or lack of it is part of that.

Ann

Tags
boat