Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2011, 19:25   #1

Boat: Solaris 42 Catamarnan - Fraid Knot
Rainy Season in Central America

Im sitting just north of Tehjuanapec in Mexico leaving for costa rica a month or two before the rainy season. Can anyone tell me if the rain is only costal or if its everywhere? Should I wait it out in the north for the next four months or can I go offshore and avoid it. plus any other advice that you think would be pertinent.
EvermanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 06:09   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Rainy Season in Central America

During the monsoon, it rains pretty much everywhere in Costa Rica.
Costa Rica weather is made up of two main seasons, the wet season and the dry season.
On the Pacific side of Costa Rica, the wet season begins in May and runs until November. However, on the Caribbean side of Costa Rica, the wet season begins in April, and runs until December.
In the wet season it’s usually warm and sunny in the morning, while pouring rain in the afternoon and evening/night.
Costa Rica's mountain systems are primarily cooler than the rest of the country, with temperatures ranging from freezing cold to slightly cool. The mountains contain a diverse weather system, primarily fed with precipitation by the high winds of the area.

See ➥
The Land of Costa Rica

And ➥ costa rica weather climate

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 10:06   #3

thanks for the reply, my concern is being able to avoid the rain by going offshore. is that possible?
Old 30-04-2011, 21:18   #4

Boat: Catalina 38
When are you coming ??? Right now the weather is great here.... The rainy season is about to start, but September, October , and November are the worst months ..
Old 01-05-2011, 04:45   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvermanJ View Post
...my concern is being able to avoid the rain by going offshore. is that possible?
Probably not.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 18:50   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxsoto View Post
When are you coming ??? Right now the weather is great here.... The rainy season is about to start, but September, October , and November are the worst months ..
soon, leaving on friday and heading straight there. about 600 miles. see you there. whats a good anchorage?
Old 03-05-2011, 18:51   #7

Boat: Catalina 38
You won't be having any serious problems with the weather....don't need to sail offshore, unless it's the sorter distance!!
There are several anchorages. I can recommend you some, but what part of the pacific are you planning to stay, north (golfo de papagayo), central pacific (golfo de nicoya) or south(golfo dulce)???????
Old 03-05-2011, 20:08   #8

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

My major concern would be getting safely acrossed the Gulf of Tehjuanapec. DO NOT cross this Gulf more than a mile offshore, if that far. There is a low depression in the mountains forming the continantal divide in that region, Weather patterns in this area are influnced by what happens in the Gulf of Mexiico creating an off shore winds and at Salina Cruz gale force winds blow an Average of 135 days a year. This constant offshore gale interacts with the large pacific swells coming from the west that build to great hights.
Listen to the cruisier nets on SSB or stay in contact with those that have the radio. When you get a four day window, motor sail like hell staying close to the beach. A popular saying is that if you can't hear the dogs on shore barking, you're to far offshore. Don't stop at Salina Cruz, its a commercial port and you're unwelcome.
I tried to cut the corner and found ten foot seas five miles offshore during a four day weather window and returned to shore where the waves were more manageable.

Costa Rico has a very large rain forest as does Panama. There is a rainy season and a not so rainy season. During the rainy eason it can rain several inches per day, the not so rainy season it seldon rains an inch when it rains.

The Gulf of Nicoya is an absolutly great to spend months cruising, don't miss it!.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Central America