Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2013, 06:23   #31

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Rainy Day Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
What if you can... Because you planned ahead and have a steady income stream. Not everyone lives "hand to mouth."
If you planned ahead and have a steady income stream then you probably won't have a rainy day pot problem. But that's not what's being discussed. What's being discussed is someone who's rainy day pot has gone or is going dry. Now what does he do? Go to work, give up the cruising,..what? What you're suggesting is he take a no interest loan payable over 12 months. That's cheap money for sure, but it has to be paid back and if the person is living "hand to mouth" that's going to be quite hard wouldn't you say?
Old 15-10-2013, 06:42   #32
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Rainy Day Pot

Give up 'Tailor Made's' and start rolling your own smokes... switch to 0.99c/Litre cardboard wine... go to bars with free Tapas.. 7 small beers at 0.75c each and your full-ish
Make more lady friends...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 07:00   #33
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
If you planned ahead and have a steady income stream then you probably won't have a rainy day pot problem.
Not so. Everyone needs a rainy day fund.... what's being discussed is creative ways to pay it back after some of it gets used up and needs to be replenished. A credit card can get you "over the hump."
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 07:18   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Not so. Everyone needs a rainy day fund.... what's being discussed is creative ways to pay it back after some of it gets used up and needs to be replenished. A credit card can get you "over the hump."
Sorry but I just don't see it that way. It's still a loan and you can't replenish with a loan. For example, if you need $10K and the rainy day pot is empty and you borrow the $10K on the cc the pot is still empty because you used the $10K for repairs. Over 12 months you pay back the loan but the pot is still empty. You've either got to earn the funds to replenish the pot or take it from some other source like savings. The cc loan may get you over the hump but it doesn't solve the real problem which is your rainy day pot is dry. The cc loan just kicks the can on down the road.
Old 15-10-2013, 07:42   #35
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Sorry but I just don't see it that way. It's still a loan and you can't replenish with a loan. For example, if you need $10K and the rainy day pot is empty and you borrow the $10K on the cc the pot is still empty because you used the $10K for repairs. Over 12 months you pay back the loan but the pot is still empty. You've either got to earn the funds to replenish the pot or take it from some other source like savings. The cc loan may get you over the hump but it doesn't solve the real problem which is your rainy day pot is dry. The cc loan just kicks the can on down the road.

And makes it a bigger can to boot. I've never owned a credit card in my life, never purchased anything I didn't pay cash for. Not about to start now.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 14:53   #36

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
And makes it a bigger can to boot. I've never owned a credit card in my life, never purchased anything I didn't pay cash for. Not about to start now.
Never had to rent a car?
Old 15-10-2013, 14:58   #37

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004

I second the vote on credit being the devil...
bbowers2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 15:19   #38
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Never had to rent a car?

Dollar rent a car will rent to you without a credit card almost anywhere. When you live without credit you learn these things in the course of getting around the obstacles they throw up for those of us who don't want to play their game....

There is usually a way around, but sometimes you just have to make sacrifices in the realm of convenience if you want to live free of debt. I've never owed anyone a dime (except my dad).

Old 15-10-2013, 15:19   #39
CLOD

Boat: none

I see no problem with using a credit card and yes it is a loan, so what!!! It is 2013 after all and loans have only been around 2000+ years.
Old 15-10-2013, 15:39   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I see no problem with using a credit card and yes it is a loan, so what!!! It is 2013 after all and loans have only been around 2000+ years.
Nothing wrong with a loan as long as you have a way to pay it back. But maybe I'm being too old fashion, after all it is 2013 like you say and the world is running on debt that isn't getting paid back.
Old 15-10-2013, 16:08   #41

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Dollar rent a car will rent to you without a credit card almost anywhere. When you live without credit you learn these things in the course of getting around the obstacles they throw up for those of us who don't want to play their game....

There is usually a way around, but sometimes you just have to make sacrifices in the realm of convenience if you want to live free of debt. I've never owed anyone a dime (except my dad).
I have no debt either but I have several that I use regularly. I just pay it at the time the bills come in.

Except for one or two occasions I have never carried a balance over to the next month. But I could carry thousands on several.

Debt free =

And I am further curious...........Airline tickets?? Booking Hotel??
Old 15-10-2013, 16:13   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Never had to rent a car?
They make things called debit cards !
Hoofsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 17:00   #43

Hertz takes debit. You have to register or something.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 17:24   #44

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We have been going and workin till the Pots full again,then going again! for 30+ yrs! now we have got some waterfront dockage and are about to get a small to us cat, and plan to caribe sail Nov, to June. Then spend summers at our hurrycane safe dock down the Bayou! Connie will continue to do her Nursey thing when we are home! and my retirement, and SS, and The extra money I make working on diesels I put aside for our cruiseing time! We will still anchor out 95% of the time, and eat well but cheaply, as always! we might hit a shore dinner a little more then we used to! but mostly we will just hang out and enjoy our time together!! It don't take big dollars to have a good time cruiseing!! Just our 2 cents
Old 16-10-2013, 15:19   #45
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

Sure have, and for at least as long people have frowned on the practice.

Usury - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia