Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-06-2013, 19:57   #1

Boat: 1955 Børresen Dragon Class
Question on buying a boat out of state

I'm looking at buying a boat that is in WA. I reside in CA. I plan on winterizing it and putting it on the dry for about 2.5 years immediately at time of purchase. Then I am going to sail it to OR and have it there 3-6 months before leaving the country.

First, how does title transfer work? Do I just pay a transfer fee, sales tax, and then have it registered as non-operational like a car? Then get a permit to move it to OR and register it in OR once there? Or do I register it in WA before leaving and just leave it registered there? My mother lives in ME and she will be my mailing address, perhaps I should register the boat there?

Second, what type of insurance is advised while I have it stored on the dry? Also does any know how much dry storage costs + winterizing usually? It's a 41' monohull.

Lastly, I'm going to be out of the country and around the world for a minimum 10 years, might be 15 or 20 hopefully. Can I renew the registration while abroad?

Thanks!

Old 12-06-2013, 20:19   #2

Boat: csy 37
Re: Question on buying a boat out of state

get it a coast guard documentation certificate. a boat that size probably already has one and you just need to transfer it to your name. this will prove your ownership of the boat. no need to register it with the state as long as it's in storage. when you begin using it in OR or WA you may have to get a state registration, but once you go foreign your coast guard documentation is all you need and you can let your state registration lapse.

Old 12-06-2013, 20:23   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
get it a coast guard documentation certificate. a boat that size probably already has one and you just need to transfer it to your name. this will prove your ownership of the boat. no need to register it with the state as long as it's in storage. when you begin using it in OR or WA you may have to get a state registration, but once you go foreign your coast guard documentation is all you need and you can let your state registration lapse.
Freakin beautiful, thank you! I already knew about the USCG registration and planned on that anyway so awesome! Still need to research how to do it though. So I pay the title transfer fees to the USCG? What about any sales tax? Also what do I do for a release of liability on the seller behalf to the state of WA? So I can let the WA registration expire since it's in storage but what about penalties should I decide to re-register after storage? Or do I just go straight to OR and register it there? Maybe I'm just over thinking all of this lol.

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2013, 20:27   #4
Marine Service Provider

Are you planning on buying and sailing some, and storing on the hard part of the year? If you are planning on keeping her stored for 2 years you are really better off waiting 2 years to buy... Why suffer the depreciation, cost of storage, and things that will inevitably go bad while the boat sits...

Wouldn't you be better off waiting???
Old 12-06-2013, 20:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLLCatsailor View Post
Are you planning on buying and sailing some, and storing on the hard part of the year? If you are planning on keeping her stored for 2 years you are really better off waiting 2 years to buy... Why suffer the depreciation, cost of storage, and things that will inevitably go bad while the boat sits...

Wouldn't you be better off waiting???
2.5 years is worst case. I'm in the middle of selling all of my possessions and still in the planning stage. It could be sooner. Also I don't want everything sold then look for a boat and be forced to settle after a certain amount of time. I'm not made of money and plan on leaving ASAP after selling everything and quitting my job, no sticking around and loose money supporting myself while looking for a boat. To be honest though, I found a beautiful boat that is an amazing price that I just instantly feel in love with which is perfect for the journey. It's been totally gone through, like 100%, very recently and should not need too much after being stored. Plus I plan on replacing batteries and other consumables and also considerable upgrades anyway before leaving for a trip like this so I'll be going thru all that anyway with expected costs. Lastly, it will take me about 24 months of payments to pay it off so if I start now, I'll own it outright before leaving the states for good, which is a very good thing. I don't care about depreciation and I expect storage costs to be minimal stored like that on the dry.
Old 12-06-2013, 21:21   #6

Boat: csy 37

if you buy through a broker, they usually know how to handle a documentation transfer to a new owner. if not, go to this website for instructions...

USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, Home Page

there is a fee for the initial processing. every year thereafter, the uscg will send you a renewal form which you basically just return to them, with no fee required, although there has been some talk of charging a renewal fee it hasn't happened yet.

i was foreign when my renewal came through so it got lost in space. didn't stop them from sending another renewal the following year....
Old 12-06-2013, 21:30   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
if you buy through a broker, they usually know how to handle a documentation transfer to a new owner. if not, go to this website for instructions...

USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, Home Page

there is a fee for the initial processing. every year thereafter, the uscg will send you a renewal form which you basically just return to them, with no fee required, although there has been some talk of charging a renewal fee it hasn't happened yet.

i was foreign when my renewal came through so it got lost in space. didn't stop them from sending another renewal the following year....
Thanks!
Old 13-06-2013, 02:04   #8

Dear 92GTA. Before buying the boat you might want to ask for an Abstract of title, so you know the owner is the legal owner and therefore allowed to sell. It also states whether there are any mortgages registered on the boat. You don't want to buy a boat with the mortgage still on. If the boat is not documented you can ask the USCG for a 'Declaration of non- documentation' in writing. They will reply the vessel is not documented and therefore you can register her yourself with the right paperwork (Bill of Sale, documentation forms, etc.). When a vessel is not documented with the USCG there is also no mortgage on the boat in the US.

The link onestepcsy37 posted is the right one, but it seems the USCG has some IT issues. Here is how you document your boat with the USCG National Documentation Center:

When the boat is documented by the current owner:

Transfer of ownership. Send the following documents to the US National Vessel Documentation Center:

- Bill of Sale
- Original Certificate of Documentation(from former owner)
- Application for initial issue of Certificate of Documentation

In case the boat is not documented and you want to document the vessel at the US National Vessel Documentation Center:

- Application for simplified Measurements
- Application for initial issue of Certificate of Documentation
- Bill of Sale
- Builders Certificate
- Declaration of non-registration
- Authorization of credit card transactions

I wouldn't register straight away with any state if you are storing the boat. USCG Documentation is enough for now. If you do not want to register straight away the seller needs to un-register the boat with the USCG. If you do want to register at State level I would suggest to go to the 'State information page' of Boat U.S.

All the required USCG National Vessel Documentation Center forms are attached to this message. Please let me know if you need any additional assistance, a sales agreement or you want to know what other documentation you need when you are buying a boat. Good luck!
Old 13-06-2013, 07:27   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92GTA View Post
I expect storage costs to be minimal stored like that on the dry.
"Minimal" is a relative term. Before you buy the boat, you might want to do a little research, and find out where and for how much you can store it. I suspect you are going to find that it is not quite as "minimal" as you are hoping.
Old 13-06-2013, 07:52   #10
Marine Service Provider

What boat are you buying? What kind of deal did you get on the boat?
Old 13-06-2013, 09:19   #11

Jort,

Wow, thank you for all the info!!!!

denverd0n,

Of course I am going to shop around on where and how to store it, wasn't born yesterday I'll be going up there in person to take care of the deal and I'll be making phone calls about storage prior to heading up there.

FLLCatsailor,

Haven't gotten that far yet, I've only just made an offer a couple days ago. I'll for sure make a thread about the boat after the deal has been done.
Old 13-06-2013, 10:53   #12
Marine Service Provider

I'm going to come out and just say it... I think you are crazy for buying a boat that you are going to have to store on the hard for up to 2.5 years, while paying the loan off...

I understand your concern for not wanting to have to scramble to find a boat when you are ready to caste off your lines, but 2.5 years???

I'm sure the seller (or broker) must be absolutely tickled...

I'm not trying to be a buzz kill, or tell you not to buy a boat. I'm just saying as a yachting professional, what you are planning on doing makes no sense whatsoever...
Old 13-06-2013, 11:33   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLLCatsailor View Post
I'm going to come out and just say it... I think you are crazy for buying a boat that you are going to have to store on the hard for up to 2.5 years
I understand your concern however if it is fully winterized on the dry and kept on stands and shrink wrapped, I really don't think 2.5 years is long at all.

Besides, I know me. Having the exact boat that I want will give me the excitement and continued motivation to stick with my plan and work even harder to achieve it. Otherwise I tend to get caught up in work and keep pushing it off onto the back burner.
Old 13-06-2013, 11:41   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you can, have some kind of electricity to it when stored, put 2 or 3 long life 100 watt bulbs on in the boat. This will keep it from damp mildew and smell etc. Be sure to fog the engine. I would run some fresh water thru it at final shutdown using a hose into the sea water strainer.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 11:46   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
If you can, have some kind of electricity to it when stored, put 2 or 3 long life 100 watt bulbs on in the boat. This will keep it from damp mildew and smell etc. Be sure to fog the engine. I would run some fresh water thru it at final shutdown using a hose into the sea water strainer.
Good tips, thanks! I was thinking about some giant silica packets or something inside the main cabin to deal with the moisture.

Tags
buying

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: