Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-06-2013, 11:53   #16

Boat: Moccasins and pony
Re: Question on buying a boat out of state

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92GTA View Post
I understand your concern however if it is fully winterized on the dry and kept on stands and shrink wrapped, I really don't think 2.5 years is long at all.

Besides, I know me. Having the exact boat that I want will give me the excitement and continued motivation to stick with my plan and work even harder to achieve it. Otherwise I tend to get caught up in work and keep pushing it off onto the back burner.
Sounds like you've got your plan pretty well figured out, but is there not a way to keep it closer to home for the 2.5 years? Then you can work on it more conveniently, take it sailing, or just check on it from time to time.

Boat buying is an emotional thing. If the boat is that special, and truly inspires you, then who cares? Besides, many people own boats they do absolutely nothing with, which justifies nothing, just sayin.... Careful with shrink wrapping it and leaving it for a while, it could get nasty and mildewy. A boat that is used regularly is better off. You're going to want to put some real effort into laying it up.

G'luck

Old 13-06-2013, 11:58   #17

Boat: 1955 Børresen Dragon Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
Sounds like you've got your plan pretty well figured out, but is there not a way to keep it closer to home for the 2.5 years? Then you can work on it more conveniently, take it sailing, or just check on it from time to time.

Boat buying is an emotional thing. If the boat is that special, and truly inspires you, then who cares? Besides, many people own boats they do absolutely nothing with, which justifies nothing, just sayin.... Careful with shrink wrapping it and leaving it for a while, it could get nasty and mildewy. A boat that is used regularly is better off. You're going to want to put some real effort into laying it up.

G'luck
Thanks! I will be doing my best! I'm not bringing it closer because I plan on moving it to Astoria OR after storage and living on her there for several months while I get her ready for the trip. So it's actually going to be stored pretty close to there. The person who is going with me on my round-the-world journey lives in Astoria, she is finishing her college degree right now. Costs to keep it somewhere in CA would be totally insane too!!

It is totally an emotional thing absolutely. This boat is absolutely beautiful and a price I can afford, no way I'm going to miss out on grabbing her while I can! It's like a miniature version of the 100' sail boat my father had I grew up on far as the lines, so yeah, I fell in love.

Perhaps then tarps are a better option as opposed to the shrink wrap? Better ventalation?

Old 13-06-2013, 11:59   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah, I forgot... you need a ventilation scheme... a closed up boat is your nemesis, gets steamy hot in the sun and things grow. Sometimes a boat left closed up for too long can never really get rid of the smell. If shrink wrapped maybe open some portlites (have screens to keep critters out!). Congrats on your plan!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 18:39   #19

Boat: csy 37

i wish you well, and you sound like you're intelligent enough to look into things and to seek and take good advice. nothing wrong with making some long range plans - and i don't think three years ahead is too long.
Old 13-06-2013, 19:11   #20

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

Just curious, did you get a professional survey done? A beautiful boat in the eyes of the buyer, and a seaworthy boat in the eyes of a professional surveyor are two different beasts often.

As for documentation..if present owner let lapse you will have to get bill of sale paper trail, or chain of custody to give to USCG to renew documentation, as I did in my case. Present owner lapsed, so I had to go back and produce all bills of sale and chain of custody from two prior owners till present owner. Pays to ask all the questions now, and get or see copies of all paperwork in advance.

Most yards will require insurance as well, even if just stored. If older boat, insurance can be difficult to get and will often require professional survey first.

Good luck with plans.
Old 13-06-2013, 22:06   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
i wish you well, and you sound like you're intelligent enough to look into things and to seek and take good advice. nothing wrong with making some long range plans - and i don't think three years ahead is too long.
Thanks!!!!
Old 13-06-2013, 22:12   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimea Cruiser View Post
Just curious, did you get a professional survey done?

As for documentation..if present owner let lapse you will have to get bill of sale paper trail.

Most yards will require insurance as well, even if just stored. If older boat, insurance can be difficult to get and will often require professional survey first.
Good things to know, thanks!!!! I was planning on having minimal insurance while stored and it is and older boat so I was planning a survey.

I read about the BoS for USCG but didn't know about the "chain" of BoS! I'll definitely add that to my list of due diligence to verify!
Old 13-06-2013, 22:15   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yeah, I forgot... you need a ventilation scheme... a closed up boat is your nemesis, gets steamy hot in the sun and things grow. Sometimes a boat left closed up for too long can never really get rid of the smell. If shrink wrapped maybe open some portlites (have screens to keep critters out!). Congrats on your plan!
Thanks for the tips! I'm looking into dehumidifiers, non-electric ones, and solar vents, etc. I read all the past threads here on storage and some on other forums as well for tips! Looks like I'll also be taking all of the soft stuff out along with the sails and storing them at my house too.
Old 14-06-2013, 00:36   #24

I wish you all the best on your journey sounds like you are getting some really good advice from knowledgeable people here. some of which I am writing down in my notebook because I am shopping too ..
Old 14-06-2013, 00:41   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkle Toad View Post
I wish you all the best on your journey sounds like you are getting some really good advice from knowledgeable people here. some of which I am writing down in my notebook because I am shopping too ..
Thanks! Yeah I'm bookmarking everything I find useful. I can't tell you how happy I am. I know where I am is life right now is just all wrong (for me), I feel it to my bones and have for years, terrible feeling. This feels just so right and I've already been wanting to and put it off for years. No more!

Tags
buying

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: