Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2014, 10:05   #16

Re: Question for Bahamian Cruisers

If your guests can arrive in Nassau and fly out of Georgetown that would be a great plan.. I would give it 10 days though....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 10:06   #17

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I remember once we saw it get down to 63 deg. here. It was February, 2006. It lasted for about an hour or maybe a little longer. Then it warmed back up.

But we still talk about it eight years later.
Remember how cold it was in 06? Yeah, nearly had to put socks on but it was too difficult with the flip-flops. Maybe I should get some of those Japanese socks that have a separate big toe.
Old 15-11-2014, 10:25   #18
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

You guys are too funny.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 10:29   #19

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I've often exchanged crew in and out of Marsh Harbour, a few times out of Treasure Cay as well, via the ferry to Green Turtle which makes it easy to head north the less visited Abacos. I've also switched crew out of Georgetown, Exumas, and Nassau. Personally, I have no desire to be cruising in and out of Nassau.

It's all a matter of trade offs and what your priorities are. Cold fronts do tend to hit the Abacos harder in winter and die down by the time they hit the southern Exumas. The water does tend the be warmer in the Exumas than in the Abacos. While I'm find jumping in for a bath, in the Abacos in winter, for any serous snorkeling, I prefer a shortie wetsuit.

Gerogetown is a popular place for cruisers to hang out for the winter. Many people love the sense of community there. The Exuma Land and Sea Park has moorings that are easy to pick up, again some people love that easy and being around other cruisers. Of course one can't get lobster, etc.

Personally, I prefer the many isolated anchorages of the Abacos to take friends to, even though the water is a bit cooler. Winter, before last, I chartered with some friends out of Marsh Harbour on a Cat and despite being the more popular southern Abacos, we had an anchorage to ourselves every single night for 8 nights, while still begin able to stop at and enjoy some of the fun Abacos towns. It may be windier, but the Sea of Abaco is fairly protected, and we enjoy the lobstering and being able to have a fire on an isolated beach at night. While I no longer have my own boat, we'll be chartering and going to the Abacos again this winter.

Again, I think it's just a matter of personal preference depending on what your priorities are.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 10:34   #20

Boat: Various

Abacos normal February. Highs in the mid 70's, lows around 63. This past February hit 80 on 17 days.

Normal February in Georgetown, highs in the upper 70's, lows in the mid 60's. This past February, 80's all but two days and up to 85. Lows from 67 to 75.

Nassau, normal February highs in the mid to upper 70's, lows in the mid 60's. This past February most days in the 80's, up to 85 and only one day it didn't reach at least 78. Lows in the upper 60's to lower 70's.

I like warm but at the moment in San Francisco where the high today will be 63. Much depends on what you enjoy. But Abacos can be pleasant year round, just a bit cool in the evenings during the winter. We would probably prefer further south that time of year but then we're going to NC and SC for Christmas so what can we say. I was surprised that the temperature variations from Abacos to Georgetown weren't greater.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 15:02   #21

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

I don't know what you think is too cold but the Abaco's in winter is similar to central FL. I have lived in FL for thelast 30 years and I don't find the Abaco's to be cold in the winter! Some 60s maybe, but good grief lets define cold! I would certainly not miss what the Abaco's have to offer because it might get chilly! Start in Green Turtle and work your way south to Georgetown, You can thank me that you did it, later.
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 15:21   #22
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
Start in Green Turtle and work your way south to Georgetown, You can thank me that you did it, later.

I left there (Green Turtle) on April 1 this year. Hey, glad we checked it out, but won't ever go back. I'll spend more time in the Exumas. Actually, we enjoyed Eleuthera more than Abaco. But, everyone should check things out for themselves and see what they like.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 15:53   #23

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

AHHHH ... the Bahamas ... what a terrifc place .. we loved the EXUMAS. Be sure to cruise around Norman Island on a calm clear day ... that day still lingers in my mind and we have covered 3/4 of our circumnavigation by now ... will definitely head that way again. Did not enjoy the Berry's that much ... Mayaguana and Rum pretty but almost too remote ... EXUMAS is a MUST DO / MUST SEE!

We had our kids arriving at different places ... Terry and Yolande arrived in Georgetown ... that was easy enough even with a dinghy ride across the bay to stocking island ... Tom and Lucy arrived in Nassau and we sailed back to Geortgetown ... we sailed up and down through the Exumas a number of times to Nassau very easily and without complications. Atlantis Marina was a great meet and drop off spot as there are fun things to do there ! The costs were not exorbitant and the entry into the greater part of Atlantis was covered in the Marina fee.

What one needs to take care of is weather when timing an arrival or departure ... the 'cuts' can be troublesome in the wrong weather and with Terry we had to take our chances getting through some of these in order to get there on time.

Attached this clip of going through the cuts ... and this was on a 'Better day' than some ... which is why one want to relax and wait for calm conditions ...

impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 16:22   #24

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
We had our kids arriving at different places ... Terry and Yolande arrived in Georgetown ... that was easy enough even with a dinghy ride across the bay to stocking island ... Tom and Lucy arrived in Nassau and we sailed back to Geortgetown ... we sailed up and down through the Exumas a number of times to Nassau very easily and without complications. Atlantis Marina was a great meet and drop off spot as there are fun things to do there ! The costs were not exorbitant and the entry into the greater part of Atlantis was covered in the Marina fee.

What one needs to take care of is weather when timing an arrival or departure ... the 'cuts' can be troublesome in the wrong weather and with Terry we had to take our chances getting through some of these in order to get there on time.
We love Atlantis and will make any excuse to go there. We once picked up a couple of people in Nassau, dropped them back, picked up others in Nassau and dropped them at Georgetown, while picking up others in Georgetown and dropping them in Nassau. When you live in South Florida, people think nothing of flying back and forth to meet you.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 07:57   #25

Definitely fly to Nassau for provisions and ease of flight schedules. In and out of Staniel in Exumas is also recommended. The Abacos, as others have stated is likely too cold. Check schedules in/out of Nasau and Watermaker Air into Staniel along with other options! Also, it is fun to go down to Georgetown and use their airport as well.
Skeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 16:57   #26

Boat: IP 40

We'll be cruising Abaco from Christmas through the 5th-6th of January before taking the boat back to Texas. Anyone else planing to be there around that time?

-EB
ErBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 17:29   #27

Boat: Lagoon 40

Unnfortunately we will not this year.....but if you get to the Pensacola area on your trip, please look us up!

Neil
S/V Midnight Sun II
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser