Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2015, 15:34   #31

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Quarter Life Crisis

buy and read Beth Leonards book The Voyagers Handbook.If it doesn't discuss it - you don't need to know it.

Their website is an education in itself

Beth and Evans Home Page

lots of reading - go for it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 15:44   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
buy and read Beth Leonards book The Voyagers Handbook.If it doesn't discuss it - you don't need to know it.

Their website is an education in itself

Beth and Evans Home Page

lots of reading - go for it

I've read 80% of it already. I have been reading it like a novel! I will go back and read it again when I'm finished,
Camcmillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 15:48   #33

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

Well,there you go. All questions answered. Buy the book. No more worries.
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 00:41   #34

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

If folks need any inspiration to get out there & do it, & do it with as little waiting as possible, just do a little reading @ these sites, & or dig up her articles in Latitude 38 for the last decade.
https://www.facebook.com/Liz-Clark-a...2395/timeline/

www.swellvoyage.com

Swell Voyage » Blog

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 18:55   #35

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camcmillen View Post
Hey everyone! thanks for all of the replies. I am currently landlocked in Texas till I graduate. So far I am thinking about going to get some certs and crewing and learning as much as I can for 6-12 months then buying a boat and being a live aboard. Ive been sailing once before and I have been captivated by it ever since. I am extremely passionate and borderline obsessed if you ask my friends and family. but I am very thankful for all of the advice. So here is the 2 year tentative plan:

-Graduate
-Get experience and skills
-liveaboard while working and saving every spare penny
-refit and get ready
-1-2 years later sail away
-when the kitty dries up head home work some more
-head out again permanately
This is someone who did almost exactly that.

Watch away...

SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 03:07   #36

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Unless you are perhaps in Lubbock or a small number of small schools in the badlands, Texas isn't as landlocked as people assume. There are many lakes with active sailing communities. Again, check meetup.com and check if your college has a sailing club.
Old 30-09-2015, 04:44   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Howdy!

I read your post carefully. I considered it. Just because my suggestions below do not seem to be a direct answer that fits your two choices you outlined, does not mean I did not consider those choices you suggested.

I have a couple of possible paths for you.

Save your money. Make some more money. Gain some experience. Do some traveling.

1A. Join the Navy!
See the world.
Serve your country.
Earn some money.
Get some sea time.
Make new friends.
Learn new skills.

1B. Join the Coast Guard!
See some of the world.
Serve your country.
Earn some money.
Get some sea time.
Make new friends.
Learn new skills.

With your engineering and math degrees, I would suspect that if you are in good health you should be able to get some very good job offers and opportunities (in the Navy or Coast Guard).

Of course this is not the life for everyone but there is no need for you to spend your entire life doing it. Several members of CF have been in Navy or Coast Guard and from what I can see in their comments, they gained a lot from the experience.

Or…

2. Take some sailing lessons abroad in a great place to learn and get some very good certifications.

2B. Take those new certifications and get a job on some boats or with a charter company. Gain experience.
With respect steady, don't tell the poor guy to join the Coast Guard.

The navy I have no experience with, but I suspect is even more miserable and badly paid than the CG.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 04:55   #38

Boat: Cape Dory 28

You should buy a boat in Florida, live aboard for three months and learn how to sail, then cross to the Bahamas. Live on as little money as possible.

$7000 buy a 27 foot boat
$3000 upgrades
$10000 live for year
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 06:54   #39

Boat: Holman & Pye Red Admiral 36

Hi - Ok, first question that no one has asked is are you a guy or a girl?

If you decide to take off now and are a girl you will have chance to work on a bigger charter boat somewhere and see how things are done, and if you don't like it, walk away and it hasn't cost you much money.

If a guy, same thing, except probably a lot more looking.

With your background, and if you can stand 4 more years of school, you could go to a Maritime Academy. I would go for the Engineer side of it as they make a ton of money and are ALWAYS in demand. You'd come out licensed as a Unlimited 3rd Assistant Engineer if memory serves....

Or go to work. Houston (oil related companies) always pays big bucks - earn it while you can. And since you would be earning a small fortune, you can charter a boat for a couple of weeks a year to satisfy your sailing urges. Again, when done, you had them back the keys and the boat is their problem.....

If a girl, hook up with or marry some guy who earns even more money than you and get a boat together. Companionship and a boat at the same time - doesn't get a lot better than that.

If a guy, entice some young babe with the thoughts of adventure and get a boat together.

You have the world by the tail with your degrees, use them to your advantage and have a ton of fun!

Best of luck!
Doug Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 07:15   #40

Doug, no need to go to a maritime academy with a math/engineering degree, the individual already has adequate education to challenge the exams, just needs the sea time.

I agree, if one were to work on boats, engineering is definitely the way to go. More money, and more importantly, more transferable skills.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 19:34   #41

Thanks everyone for help.

I am a guy, and I am in Lubbock so I am 9 hours away from nearest coast. There are no lakes to sail on near by that I know of........I am from Houston so I do have connections there to oil and gas. But I don’t want to work in oil and gas due to the fluctuation of that field.

I thought about a maritime academy, but that would be four more years of school and I don’t want to do all of that. I am graduating with an engineering and math degree already, I don’t want any more school time.

I do however work on engines, tractors, and boats at work and have a few years experience working as a mechanic.

Enticing a young babe and sailing away sounds nice but I find that women are expensive and I do not need to waste any more money.

I have thought about Florida, but since I have family in Galveston and Houston, a good starting place would be in the Kemah / Clear Lake area since I could have a place to stay until I buy a boat and maybe live aboard!

The coast guard doesnt pay anything and I think that working something related to my degrees would help me out more. That was a good idea though1 Thanks.

Sorry the responses were out of order, I did them off the top of my head!

Thanks!
Old 30-09-2015, 19:43   #42

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Enticing a young babe and sailing away sounds nice but I find that women are expensive and I do not need to waste any more money

Only the women with big hair and nails...

There are "wash and wear" women out there. I'm too old for you, but those of us that are out there won't be found near malls or salons. We are more fun too because we actually love new experiences instead of new things. Don't give up on the idea of first mate just yet. You might be surprised one day when she finds you and has her own boat!
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 19:48   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Enticing a young babe and sailing away sounds nice but I find that women are expensive and I do not need to waste any more money

Only the women with big hair and nails...

There are "wash and wear" women out there. I'm too old for you, but those of us that are out there won't be found near malls or salons. We are more fun too because we actually love new experiences instead of new things. Don't give up on the idea of first mate just yet. You might be surprised one day when she finds you and has her own boat!

Age is just a number........

I know but I seem to only attract the ones with expensive taste. I guess i should stay away from the expensive places! IT would be nice to have a first mate. BUT only time will tell on that one. Unless you're available?! lol just kidding
Old 30-09-2015, 23:05   #44

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:

I know but I seem to only attract the ones with expensive taste. I guess i should stay away from the expensive places! IT would be nice to have a first mate. BUT only time will tell on that one. Unless you're available?! lol just kidding
Of course you could get really lucky like me and find one that both enjoys (and looks hot!) in long gowns, stillettos and all that pazzaz, and also loves to both sail and hang around on the boat in old shorts (still looking hot!) and a t-shirt.

They really are out there - takes a bit of looking.

I'd still suggest you crew on someone else's boat for a few months. The cost is negligable and you'll gain vast amounts of experience.

And guess what - those "wash and wear" gals are also out there crewing - good place to start looking - at least you know they love to sail

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:50   #45

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:

This is silly but....you might be portraying a rough guy image. Seems like the more versatile women I know go for cleaner cut. Hear me out here... the point being that sometimes "expensive women" gravitate to the tough guy and more sensible types look farther afield. It's just a theory
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote