Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2016, 14:53   #16

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Re: Q and A site for boating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
In a Stack Exchange
Think what it would like, for example, if we had a place where someone could ask about how to properly declare a shotgun, when entering the Bahamas, where answers could be restricted only to those by people who had actually done it?
But how will a "qualification" be vetted? Who can decide if a someone has actually done it? Only the person self reporting knows if they are truful or not.
In the end one still has to do thier own due diligence.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 15:11   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrymac View Post
Excellent, you clearly have something to offer! That's where you can down vote the ones that lead to ambiguity, opinion and discussion.

Vote up the ones you think are actually helping and ask some better ones that are based on evidence and lead to clarity and building repeatable facts. That's how your experience and knowledge can help the rest of the world.
Yeah, that would be easy, just keep posting links to Maine Sail's website. Your "reputation" and his would keep going up, up, up.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 15:18   #18

Boat: Bahia 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
But how will a "qualification" be vetted? Who can decide if a someone has actually done it? Only the person self reporting knows if they are truful or not.
Googling "stack exchange vetting" retrieved this answer which is close to your question. There are probably more, and of course you can also ask one that more accurately describes to what you want to know. IMHO the process is very transparent and self critical.
barrymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 15:32   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Yeah, that would be easy, just keep posting links to Maine Sail's website. Your "reputation" and his would keep going up, up, up.
You should try that strategy and see how far it gets.
Old 13-06-2016, 21:46   #20

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
It's a wisdom of the crowds thing. Every reader can vote an answer up or down. The users who accumulate the most votes gain moderation permissions.

So, who vets the qualifications? The readers do.

It's a paradigm that works wonderfully, in a great many areas. It might work well in this.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 05:00   #21

So it's basically a forum with a like/dislike function and if you get popular enough you can shut down those who disagree.

While I can see some value in a like/dislike function, it's really not that different from a forum. Way too many of these questions are subjective and you need back and forth discussion to get to an answer as the answer often changes when more info comes out.

I'm still sticking with Gord's answer. Thousands on CF is far more effective than a couple dozen on a beta site.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 05:11   #22

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I'm still sticking with Gord's answer. Thousands on CF is far more effective than a couple dozen on a beta site.
I don't disagree. But the Stack Exchange format, in other areas, has proved an effective way of creating an archive of quality answers, as usage increases and content accumulates.

It may well accomplish that, here.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 05:24   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
I don't disagree. But the Stack Exchange format, in other areas, has proved an effective way of creating an archive of quality answers, as usage increases and content accumulates.

It may well accomplish that, here.
If you are talking about subjects with discrete questions and fixed answers, I would agree but you left out the first part of my response.

The vast majority of questions I see on CF are subjective in nature with no fixed answer. People aren't generally asking for the definition of port vs starboard where you can populate a correct answer and it's there for the next guy who wants to know. Instead you get stuff like, what's the best type of sailing rig...to which there is no single right answer.

The issue with starting a new crowd sourced site isn't making a better system technologically, it's getting a critical mass of content. I'm on a number of sites that are technologically out of date but they have so much valuable content, the group isn't willing to lose that in an effort to modernize the technology. I occasionally come across really cool sites (technologically) but there is no content so they quickly drop off my radar.

This isn't to say CF won't be supplanted some day but the technological end is going to have to be massively better to pull enough people in to hit that critical mass of user input.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 10:53   #24

@valhalla360 it's absolutely not a forum

but of course you are right that a lot of questions are subjective and lend to a much sort of , it depends , type of answer.

So to tackle this they have the process of improving the questions themselves. Questions get rejected as being too subjective, inflamatory, etc and askers have the chance to redeem it for whatever reason like making it more specific and objective.

People may still answer the question unless it's hated by so many people that the community closes it permanently.

As for gaining the network effect and enough users to become valuable, well that's why we need people to help get it off the ground by showing support.

So the entire structure is designed with the goal of the highest quality of questions and answers as a resource for everyone. So if I wanted to know for example, what is the procedure for priming the diesel line on a Yanmar 3QM30, someone who's done one can answer.

On the other hand if I want to read at length the flame wars on anchors I can surf forums so I can form my own incognizant yet strongly held convictions, and go about berating anyone who dares challenge them. Who would dare argue with someone that has 10k posts anyway, they must be intelligent to have achieved that.

Tags
boating