Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2015, 21:21   #1

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5
Prosciutto?

I'm sure someone will say to post under food and drink, but I think most people look on here first. Someone else was asking about provisioning, so it reminded me of a question I always think of whenever I'm in a good Italian Deli or food market. Has anyone ever hung a whole prosciutto in their boat as a food source for a passage, and if so, how long will it keep once you've taken the wrapper off and sliced into it? Does it have any life after opening it without refridgeration ? Just wondering because it seems like they last forever on the hook in the market. HMMMMMMM???????? anyone?
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 21:34   #2

Boat: Able 50
Re: Prosciutto?

I have kept a whole salami for 6 months. You must keep it aired and away from plastic. The same applies for prosciutto.

Once you cut into the prosciutto it will start going off. You may have to cut off a slice or two before eating. The outer bit will go moldy and grow salt crystals. I don't know how long it will last once cut.

Beware of flies.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 21:40   #3

It will last longest if it is stored in a cool and dark place around 40-50 degrees Fahrenheit, not too humid around 70%. Boat is probably a bad place.
tdominic_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 21:44   #4

Not sure how long it would last, but seeing as I just joined, I find it funny that this is the first post I see... here's a pic from my trip to Italy this past July... Mmmmmmmm

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1423633232120.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	408.4 KB
ID:	96970
Mickey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 21:51   #5

Yeah the humidity is what I was thinking about. You just always read stories about people running low on provisions, and whenever I see those cheeses covered in thick wax or the dried salamies hanging from the hook I think that would be a great long term safety food source. I wonder if food saver makes a big enough roll to fit a leg of prosciutto in and if resealing it would work? How sweet would that be, fresh prosciutto and cheese in the middle of the pacific lol.
Old 10-02-2015, 21:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_ View Post
Not sure how long it would last, but seeing as I just joined, I find it funny that this is the first post I see... here's a pic from my trip to Italy this past July... Mmmmmmmm

Attachment 96970
My sister just came back from Spain with a similar pic lol. The small peice of ham she brought me back was like $40.00 US and I mean it was small like the size of a spam can. Crazy expensive. I guess that **** is the real deal though.
Old 10-02-2015, 22:02   #7

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

We used to keep whole hams likt this: You would just put them in a cotton bag, which keeps the flies away, and hang them in a cool place. Then you just cut a few slices every day...
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 22:10   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

"back in the day" they hung the prosuit from the hooks in the stores of Arthur Avenue. It aged with the cigar, cigarette smoke and love that permeated the air.

Now I get landsieger from the German pork store and hang it, since I know it has no chemicals. So far I have gone about a week, no issues. But since there is no tobacco smoke on my boat- this may be reducing the time the meat will keep.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 23:44   #9

I've wondered about this myself - There's a "Museo de Jamon" (ham museum) in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic that's apparently known for it's Serrano but I think it's actually a restaurant? I'd be curious to hear from anyone who has visited. Might be a fun place to pick one up.

The next best thing to hanging Prosciutto in the cabin might just be a trip to the museum!
Sondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 00:26   #10

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdominic_97 View Post
It will last longest if it is stored in a cool and dark place around 40-50 degrees Fahrenheit, not too humid around 70%. Boat is probably a bad place.
Places like that are pretty rare on a boat. My salami and I crossed the equator. I found that once you start cutting you should eat a little every day or place it in the refrigerator. For me the best thing to buy was cacciatori which you can easily eat in a week.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:19   #11

Be aware any Customs will inpound it, with the expected fines, etc.
dpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:00   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Mickey.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:56   #13

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Yes we did. We got a huge piece of pork from the foot to the 2nd joint i think, ie the entire leg when we left La Lina Spain and were headed to Tunisia for the winter. We had pork all winter and were looking for one before we left Italy this past fall but could not find one.

We kept it hung in the wet locker and did not touch it for a couple of months and then just wipped it off and had good pork for quite a while.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:22   #14

Cured hams and many traditional deli meats (not modern mass produced stuff) use a combination of salt and drying to preserve the meat without refridgeration.

The biggest issue is keeping it dry. The original skin or covering does a decent job but once you cut into it, humidity has an easier time getting inside. This can dilute the salt and allow things to grow. That leaves a boat as not ideal.

If you eat a few slices a day so the exposed area is always kept fresh, it should be fine for quite a while.

We are in italy at the moment and if you see it pre-sliced, it is in the refridgerated section.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:02   #15
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

On the Canaries to Caribbean trip I had this all to myself!!

Hangs around! Tastes great! Lasts ages! And its YUM!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote