Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2015, 08:44   #751

Re: Production Boats Fit For Blue Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Polar bear hunting in pajamas. That's just awesome.
That little lady could probably outshoot most of the members on this board
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 09:31   #752
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

-Groucho Marx
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 09:37   #753

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Probably. 303 British, those were ubiquitous in the north for the better part of the last century.

Here's an article about a native lady in my home province of Alberta, who shot a grizzly bear with a . 22 rifle.

http://www.ammoland.com/2014/11/what...#axzz3OonTeJvF

We grows them tough up in the great white north

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 14-01-2015, 10:01   #754

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
While we're injecting controversial topics into this thread, like guns and anchors, I thought I'd point out that this boat has chines and slab sides...

Yes but that's a trimaran...kind off
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 10:09   #755

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
..Bavaria was one of the older model production boats that apparently have thicker hull lay-ups. Do you guys think the newer ones that we've seen with thin hulls in the bow sections would be suitable in waters like these?..
The new Bavarias have Kevlar protections on the hull impact zones at the bow. This one, a recent one, had made a even more difficult passage, the Northwest passage. It was an ex-charter boat and it was very lightly equipped (nothing on the hull or sails) just equipment to provide energy.

I have not any desire to sail on these parts but if I would sail there it would not be on a fiberglass boat but on one of the others on the movies I posted on my blog: Aluminium sailboats. In what regards fiberglass sailboats there is a Comet being designed for that kind of sailing. They say that the hull made from Kevlar and vinylester resins is as resistant as an Aluminium one but I just don't know.

http://www.comaryacht.com/en/comet-explorer-46-ex-2/
Old 14-01-2015, 10:12   #756

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Thought I'd chuck this in for the 'Financially Disabled' who may be sitting looking at all these out of space priced boats that have been convinced that blue water voyaging Production Boats are out of their league check out the Alternative ARC...
The Jesters Challenge..
2 different Challenges held alternately..
1st is Plymouth to Azores
2nd is Plymouth to the USA held the following year.. many use the Azores one as a proving ground for the following year.
Most cost less than £10,000
Maximum LOA 30ft.. though guests with greater LOA are often admitted.
Everything you need to voyage except..
W/machine, W/maker/Jacuzzi/Bath, Generators, A/C and a few other things..
You mean the one where small old heavy boats have all kinds of problems and where modern mass production small boats come out with flying colors?
Old 14-01-2015, 10:17   #757

About the bear and the attack on the dinghy there is a movie:

I would love to know how they got back to the boat
Old 14-01-2015, 10:19   #758
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Production Boats Fit For Blue Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
You mean the one where small old heavy boats have all kinds of problems and where modern mass production small boats come out with flying colors?
If you don't include Tiki 21's...
Yes.. that's the one... but its a Gentleman's Race... no prizes and no rules.. just get there.. as and when you can.. kinda like 'Cruising'..
Also... its not held at the best time of the year.. its all beating most of the time.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 10:22   #759

Quote:
About the bear and the attack on the dinghy there is a movie:

I would love to know how they got back to the boat
Wow, now we can add Porta-Bote V inflatable to the bluewater/offshore gun discussion.
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 11:49   #760
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think the topic of "Gun Required in some locations" is a worthy one, and off topic for a discussion thread about production boats. So I have started another thread specific to the topic of places like Svalbard where guns are required, suggested or tolerated (e.g. due to bears etc.).

NOTE: I am neither "pro or con" guns, and I am aware of the many previous "guns" threads that endlessly argue for or against, based on perceived threats of pirates and the conformance to laws in visited countries.

But, since I found this mention of guns required in Svalbard and Canada (some locations) interesting (in this thread), and because I hope to see those locations by boat, I think it might interest and inform others too.

Perhaps those who have some experience with those locations (as mentioned above) will share that and more in this new thread dedicated to that topic.

Locations Where Guns Are Required by Authorties - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

As for the "Production Boats Fit for Blue Water" discussion, I have found it interesting to see the change in perspectives, the numerous examples of different production boats making circumnavigations, and the many Points of View on the topic.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 12:20   #761

Azuree 33, a mass production boat that has been proved in several occasions to be a very seaworthy boat (for its size)

Great interior too:

Old 14-01-2015, 19:06   #762

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Azuree 33, a mass production boat that has been proved in several occasions to be a very seaworthy boat (for its size)

Great interior too:

Great videos.

Personally I'm not so keen on the trend for the open sterns at all. I see it as a safety factor, although one must say, scuppers become redundant.

On the other hand, I see no way one could mount a windvane. That would certainly be a detriment for any long passages I would contemplate. A definite down side to the new designs, don't you agree?

It IS a well laid out design... If you like to use your sink only on one track. It is appealing to the eye, but again, I would want to see a lot of modifications for long passages.

Old 14-01-2015, 19:35   #763

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
On the other hand, I see no way one could mount a windvane. That would certainly be a detriment for any long passages I would contemplate. A definite down side to the new designs, don't you agree?
A windvane is fine but the modern tendency is to use a very high performance autopilot (NKE) and use a high spec hydrogenerator to have always the power to run everything. That is what is also used on long range racing (Transats and circumnavigations). A top autopilot is much more efficient than a windvane.

The video was taken on the last Middle the sea race that was raced in incredible conditions with winds up to 50K. No sunken boats but many retired, not this one that was the smallest on the fleet and raced only by a crew of two. One of them was the boat designer.

Regarding open transoms they are a big advantage in what regards to evacuate immediately the waves that come over the side. I have been on F10 conditions on a boat with open transom and the worst I got was wet feet going up waves so big and steep that the back of the transom was under water.

Going downwind I never experience any problems except occasionally some water in, but not waves. These transoms are used on modern light boats that are quite fast downwind and go at almost the same speed of the waves surfing for a long time. On an heavy boat that goes much slower than the waves I admit they do not make sense and can be a problem.
Old 14-01-2015, 19:35   #764

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Great videos.

Personally I'm not so keen on the trend for the open sterns at all. I see it as a safety factor, although one must say, scuppers become redundant.

It IS a well laid out design... If you like to use your sink only on one track. It is appealing to the eye, but again, I would want to see a lot of modifications for long passages.

What do you see as a safety factor with open sterns? Seems to me that the immediate draining in the case of being "pooped" is a big plus. Although you can tend to lose unsecured items out the back!
A number of windvane manufacturers have figured out how to mount their products on such sterns.
KnuckleDragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 19:54   #765

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW, the use of wind vane steering on really fast boats begins to loose its luster, despite the many good features of this sort of steering. Specifically, for boats that surf readily, and all of Pollux's favourites surely do so, the apparent wind changes direction rapidly as the boat takes off down a wave. The vane attempts to maintain a constant apparent wind angle, and so steers further down as the AW moves forward. This can lead to broaching, crash gybing and general poor steering... none good things for the cruiser.

I hate to say it, for I loved the vane on our previous boat, but the boats have outperformed this steering mode IMO.

Jim

Tags
water