Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2015, 12:21   #421

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: Production Boats Fit For Blue Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
+1 about tapered bronze seacocks.
What comes to backing plates you have had your share of shitty installations on that side of the pond too.
Yeah, no doubt about that. I'm pretty sure the concept of shitty installations is not nation or region specific!
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:22   #422

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I could but I don't want. I am feed up with you asking about confirmation regarding what I say. You should know UK is not properly EC, I mean they are in but they have a foot in other out and may probably go out as a result of a referendum they plan to make. Contrary to other EC countries they also don't need boat licences to sail so that goes with liberty package that some other European countries see as irresponsibility.

The UK is properly in the EU, and is even one of the more loyal members when it comes to correctly applying EU law and directives. (Contrary to for example France...)
That the UK doesn't require licenses is not that exceptional. Neither does, afaik, Belgium or The Netherlands. And probably many others.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:24   #423

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
OK, thanks. Wonder what Polux meant when he said Britain had one foot in and one foot out? This seemed to be a separate reference from an upcoming referendum on the matter.
He's quoting their PM, thou if they decide to jump of the train Scotland and Northern Ireland might not and will take their own referendums..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:27   #424
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Ireland is a full EU member. The link I provide for not verify your claim.

It is easy to make claims. To maintain credibility, most people when asked will attempt to back up those claims. I am a willing student, but I also need to see evidence when anything I find contradicts your statement.

If you are not willing or unable to back up your statements, the wise thing is not to make them at all. After all, this is a matter that either is factual or it is not. There is no wiggle room here nor is it a matter of opinion.
AV - I'm really trying to help you out here. You're starting to look a little silly. Look at where Polux lives and center your search on the requirements of that country. Hint - he doesn't live in Ireland.
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:34   #425
cruiser

Okay - this is what's hilarious to me about these kinds of debates. We see example after example after example of production boats out there plying very blue water all over the world. People having an absolute blast.

And, instead of talking about the real joy these people are getting out of it all and digging into how they did it - most guys here are obsessing over a broken sea-cock, socio-economic-political organization, and legalese.

THAT is as funny as it is sad.

So, to you whose sailing lives revolve around such minutiae, I say enjoy your seacocks, federations, and contractual language. It's admirable.

To everyone else, I say - doesn't this look awesome!?!!?!?!

THIS is what this thread is about.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:41   #426

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Hey Smack after thousands of topics about this subject you still dont get it, right?
No one here say they cant sail around the world baby, no one say in this fórum is really dangerous to sail a Bavaria to the Marquesas or beyond, how many topics you need to understand that!!
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:42   #427

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
He's quoting their PM, thou if they decide to jump of the train Scotland and Northern Ireland might not and will take their own referendums..
OK, thanks for educating the Yank. Not all that up on Euro politics over here.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:42   #428
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
OK, thanks. Wonder what Polux meant when he said Britain had one foot in and one foot out? This seemed to be a separate reference from an upcoming referendum on the matter.
Britain is a fully vested member with a few sovereign exceptions on membership. They are not in the fiscal community as per the EURO for one. Britain also retained the right to refuse compliance with rules that conflicted with Heritage and some British traditions.

Also, EVERY member country has the right to run referendums for the general populace to see if they want to retain membership or not.

There is no such thing as "not properly EC", you are either in or out. There are joining "stages" for new members, which are to equalise rules etc, but you are "IN" when you start, just some things dont apply to you at that time until you are fully vested.

Britain has been in from the near the beginning of the EC.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:43   #429

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Okay - I was just going by what you wrote:

If it's prudent to change out fittings on an Oyster and a production boat every 5 years, why are people freaking out about the CE spec for fittings lasting 5 years?

Sounds like it's actually imprudent for most of these guys to be trusting their old fittings in their Water boats">blue water boats regardless of material.

What actually most bronze fittings will last a lifetime so while some people may choose to replaced them that is just a personal decision, you should know that now that you have plans to do some cruising. If you had a boat with brass fittings then it would be very prudent to replace them every 5 years.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:47   #430
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Hey Smack after thousands of topics about this subject you still dont get it, right?
No one here say they cant sail around the world baby, no one say in this fórum is really dangerous to sail a Bavaria to the Marquesas or beyond, how many topics you need to understand that!!
Oh, I've been convinced of that since day one. The thread keeps going because others are not so convinced that production boats are safe off-shore. So you might want to ask them.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:48   #431
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Britain is a fully vested member with a few sovereign exceptions on membership.
So, Polux was essentially right.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:48   #432

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Britain is a fully vested member with a few sovereign exceptions on membership. They are not in the fiscal community as per the EURO for one. Britain also retained the right to refuse compliance with rules that conflicted with Heritage and some British traditions.

Also, EVERY member country has the right to run referendums for the general populace to see if they want to retain membership or not.

There is no such thing as "not properly EC", you are either in or out. There are joining "stages" for new members, which are to equalise rules etc, but you are "IN" when you start, just some things dont apply to you at that time until you are fully vested.

Britain has been in from the near the beginning of the EC.
Remarkable what you can learn from a bluewater boat thread! Thanks for taking the time to explain.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:50   #433
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
What actually most bronze fittings will last a lifetime so while some people may choose to replaced them that is just a personal decision, you should know that now that you have plans to do some cruising. If you had a boat with brass fittings then it would be very prudent to replace them every 5 years.
So, as one who wants to be prudent, should I believe you, or Keno, or the CE rating?

Old 05-01-2015, 12:55   #434

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Oh, I've been convinced of that since day one. The thread keeps going because others are not so convinced that production boats are safe off-shore. So you might want to ask them.

No diference at all with topics like this regarding what they think or not, i mean you cant change the way of thinking of some members...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 13:00   #435
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
No diference at all with topics like this regarding what they think or not, i mean you cant change the way of thinking of some members...
You definitely have that right. My goal with this thread is not at all to change these guys' minds. Not interested.

My goal is to simply acknowledge the patently obvious. That's important for new sailors.

Tags
water