Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2015, 05:00   #211

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519
Re: Production Boats Fit For Blue Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMac View Post
Why is it that all the videos of fair weather fun are shot by people in light duty, production boats? Whereas the Force 8 videos are shot by people on large ships or heavy displacement sailboats?

Is it that the people on the 15,000 or 20,000 lbs. clorox bottles are hunkering down below listening to the groaning of their flexing boats, and praying for their lives??
Hum must be because light displacement boats must have better captain's and the must not sail into weather like that. Or maybe they don't know how to operate the camera when there about to die. So many options... really

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:12   #212
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Production Boats Fit For Blue Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Good post Tanzer,

You are right about the CE stickers, its a tag the manufactures dreamed up to enable them to produce boats that met a standard even if that standard does not mean very much.
You are also correct in taking real experiences above a CE tag because pretty much all of us will tend to believe in something that has been there and done that.

That aside don't believe that because you have this sticker that you now have something special that was designed to take whatever the sea has to offer.

The posts showing 40 foot entry level boats sailing offshore waters doesn't mean much when a solo Japanese sailor can sail around the world in cluding Cape Horn in a little plywood boat simply proving that it is not the boat but the sailor in it. I am not suggesting that it doesn't make sense to have as much going for you as possible so it does make sense to buy the best boat you can if you plan on doing a lot of offshore sailing.
It was dreamed up to stop us from bringing loads of cheap boats from the US and flooding the market... Full Stop...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:14   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
julie -- do you sail?? did you read the postings here?? if you had you would have noted we did a 2 person crossing of the atlantic and spent 3 days in winds from 25-35k - is that close enough to force 8 for you? and we did not hunker down and pray for our lives or ect. we simply sailed on and the boat handled well.
Good on ya guys for making your crossing double handed, it gets tiring for sure. We also made the crossing and experienced very similar weather but I have to tell you it was the easiest ocean we ever crossed and certainly no test for a boat as I could have sailed a Mac 26 in the same conditions but I would not want to as I like my comfort too much these days, LOL. Julie and her mate may have a different area in mind with their sailing plans and may want a boat that is not only stronger but also more capable in carrying addition fuel, water and stores that most production boats are shy of and no need to take this stuff personally after all you and your mate have crossed an ocean and that puts you into a small group compared to all the armchair sailors.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:16   #214

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMac View Post
Why is it that all the videos of fair weather fun are shot by people in light duty, production boats? Whereas the Force 8 videos are shot by people on large ships or heavy displacement sailboats?

Is it that the people on the 15,000 or 20,000 lbs. clorox bottles are hunkering down below listening to the groaning of their flexing boats, and praying for their lives??
Wow, the lack of logic and reasoning in this post is mind-boggling.

But kudos for deploying both red herring and straw man devices in only three sentences!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:36   #215

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

Best production boat for water sailing">blue water sailing is the one I am doing it on. Anyone tells the wife different is in for a difficult timehttp://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
Old 04-01-2015, 05:45   #216
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post
Best production boat for blue water sailing is the one I am doing it on. Anyone tells the wife different is in for a difficult time
To that, I would add that 'The Best', for me, is one that is fully Paid For...

:-)
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:46   #217

Those older 35's were great boats with multiple crossings to their credit!
Old 04-01-2015, 05:53   #218

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Those older 35's were great boats with multiple crossings to their credit!
ARE for god's sake ARE!!! LOL
Old 04-01-2015, 06:10   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
It was dreamed up to stop us from bringing loads of cheap boats from the US and flooding the market... Full Stop...
Tell you what Boatie you are probably not that far off the mark. With the US dollar increasing in value against the Euro this is probably a very good time to buy a European boat and bring it back to the States.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:14   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post
ARE for god's sake ARE!!! LOL
Of course they "are" and a very good choice if its in decent shape, I'd sail on anywhere!
Old 04-01-2015, 07:08   #221

Seems to me a Corsair F-27 would be a lot more fun!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:14   #222

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
SV Third Day said:

"My son wants the two of us to make a trip back to Mexico after he graduates from High School and he wants to do it on a MacGregor 26x, which would be the perfect Sea of Cortez boat for a young guy for a season or two. There is a big part of me that wants to buy one and sail down Baja, over to the Mexican mainland, and then all over the Sea of Cortez just to drive the "Blue Water boat Guys" crazy.."

I met two sets of folks doing just that in the Sea of Cortez north of Loreto.

One M26 had five (Yes 5 - count 'em FIVE) full size adults on board. They did it every early spring - tow the boat down from Arizona - launch in San Carlos and cruise for a couple weeks. Then take the boat back to Marina Seca and leave it for a couple months then come back and cruise again. In September they would tow the boat back to AZ.

They had a lot of fun and had been doing it for years.

Another M26 was a pair of guys from Oklahoma or Minnesota - they would bring the boat down every couple years for a couple months cruising. They too had a lot of fun.

Nothing wrong with an M26 and 50HP if you have common sense and good judgement. My Caliber 40 never beat them to the next anchorage.

Seems to me an F-27 would be more fun!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:42   #223
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanzerTom View Post
From this thread there seems to be disagreement on the value of an A category rating.
There is definitely a lot of disagreement with the CE Category ratings. I see it a lot. But I honestly don't care. The reason is that most of the disagreement comes from people who are not in any way NAs or engineers or builders. They just don't like the rating for whatever reason. So their disagreement means nothing really. They don't know.

As I said above - the CE rating system is accepted within the industry and, as Polux has pointed out in another thread, is pretty well vetted by professionals.

So, unless we hear about vast deficiencies from those who actually know something about it - it's the standard...even if it gives some people heartburn.
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:52   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
There is definitely a lot of disagreement with the CE Category ratings. I see it a lot. But I honestly don't care. The reason is that most of the disagreement comes from people who are not in any way NAs or engineers or builders. They just don't like the rating for whatever reason. So their disagreement means nothing really. They don't know.

As I said above - the CE rating system is accepted within the industry and, as Polux has pointed out in another thread, is pretty well vetted by professionals.

So, unless we hear about vast deficiencies from those who actually know something about it - it's the standard...even if it gives some people heartburn.
Of course its the standard, who would argue that? Fender washers under cleats and travelers, brass thru hulls, fibre glass rudder shafts that leave town and the odd keel that drops off... a long list of all the wonderful features that have been vetted by Smack, Polux and the factory engineers who came up with a formula to build the cheapest sailboats in history, CE rated offshore.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:00   #225
CLOD

Boat: none

I'm always impressed in these threads just how many CF readers know more about boat design and building than the designers and manufacturers. Please provide your certification and experience in boat design and building prior to making statements.

Talking about a specific boat problem is fair, but applying it to a whole model run, manufacturer, multiple manufacturers is just a display of pig headed ignorance.

Tags
water