Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2015, 10:41   #136

Re: Production Boats Fit For Blue Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
You guys keep saying this over and over. If this is true, why do some posters feel the need (even jokingly) to say things like this:

Again, he made it clear it was in jest - but it's also right on. If you have even a cursory look at virtually any sailing forum, you'll see this kind of bias being discussed quite often.

So, yes, there has ALWAYS been a debate. Hopefully, that can now end since we all seem to be in agreement that rated production boats are fine for blue deewater cruising.
There has never been a debate we all know anything that floats has crossed an ocean. If
Hunter owners have a deep streak of insecurity its something they have to deal with but I'm sure there is help they can get.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:44   #137
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalysis View Post
We just purchased a 1992 Pacific Seacraft 37 and are in the process of renovating back to new(ish).
We have been very impressed with the build quality and perhaps, as important, the excellent after sales support from Thumper Brooks (Pacific Seacraft's yard manager in North Carolina).
For us the combination of good sailing characteristics and confidence in the builder were high on our list.
Paul and Maureen

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I did some off-shore racing in a PSC 37 that then went on to do a circ. It is a nice boat for sure. Enjoy.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:44   #138

Boat: None yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Do you realize that production boats are almost all the boats out there, the term production boat make me laugh!!
Yes, but probably referring to boats that are produced in a large yearly volume- perhaps the top ten producers as far as yearly sales go?
fozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:45   #139
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
There has never been a debate we all know anything that floats has crossed an ocean. If
Hunter owners have a deep streak of insecurity its something they have to deal with but I'm sure there is help they can get.
Okay Bob - whatever you say.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:45   #140
cruiser

Quote:
Can you provide some examples of these keels falling off and boats breaking apart?So, I'm very interested in your additional examples.
A wet Hunter keel coming off (mine), same honeycomb build quality as the Hunter rudder pictured in the other guys thread. The keel came loose under light normal use, motoring around in San Francisco Bay. How many times do you have to be shown? Jeez... copy them for future reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	94825   Click image for larger version

Name:	016.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	94826  

Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:45   #141
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozrunner View Post
Yes, but probably referring to boats that are produced in a large yearly volume- perhaps the top ten producers as far as yearly sales go?
Yeah - I think you got it.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:48   #142
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
A wet Hunter keel coming off (mine), same honeycomb build quality as the Hunter rudder pictured in the other guys thread. How many times do you have to be shown?
Be shown for what? What exactly are you trying to get me to believe Keno? I'm asking honestly here.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:51   #143

Quote:
But this is what's interesting about this argument you keep wanting to engage in Robert...in this particular instance from another thread you insist the photos indicated just "fairing a keel" on that boat - when the guys actually working on the boat used the term "repairs".

Now, I don't know exactly what those repairs entailed. But neither do you. So how can you be so certain it is just fairing in those photos?

And how am I being misleading calling it a repair when they yard guys themselves used this very w

Again, let's just stick to facts. There's no reason to get personal in this stuff.

Cool?
Fairing a boat can be considered by some people as a repair and I guess it is but your interpretation was way over the top. You just couldn't find what you wanted to find so you threw it in as Evidence, another of your over used terms.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:52   #144

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Looks like a drug dealers boat, no ofense Keno, but this keel cavities score for that, he he....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:53   #145

Why is it that all the videos of fair weather fun are shot by people in light duty, production boats? Whereas the Force 8 videos are shot by people on large ships or heavy displacement sailboats?

Is it that the people on the 15,000 or 20,000 lbs. clorox bottles are hunkering down below listening to the groaning of their flexing boats, and praying for their lives??
JulieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:57   #146
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMac View Post
Why is it that all the videos of fair weather fun are shot by people in light duty, production boats? Whereas the Force 8 videos are shot by people on large ships or heavy displacement sailboats?

Is it that the people on the 15,000 or 20,000 lbs. clorox bottles are hunkering down below listening to the groaning of their flexing boats, and praying for their lives??
Did you not see the photo(s) above of Sequitur in the F10/11 near Cape Horn? Here's another one of my faves looking toward the bottom through his port sidelight in that same storm:

Freakin' scary.

I definitely don't think I'd be doing ANY photography in such conditions. This dude was a sailing stud. No doubt.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:59   #147

Quote:
Did you not see the photo(s) above of Sequitur in the F10/11 near Cape Horn? Here's another one my faves of his looking toward the bottom through his port sidelight in that same storm:

Freakin' scary.

I definitely don't think I'd be doing ANY photography in such conditions. This dude was a sailing stud. No doubt.
Could have taken that picture sailing on a lake!
Old 03-01-2015, 11:01   #148
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozrunner View Post
But what would make a production boat produced in greater volume be of less quality than a 1-2/yr "custom" boat?

Production Boat vs Custom Boat is the total BS, well not total BS....it's called Marketing. But will a Honda Civic get to to the same place as a Volvo or Mercedes, or Lexus. Sure if you get in a wreak maybe your chances are better in a Lexus than a Civic, but there are those that would never drive a Honda Civic or sail in a...gasp...."production boat" why....because "Production Boat" is like a Honda Civic to them so they gotta have a "non-production boat" what ever in the hell that means anyway.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:02   #149

Quote:
A wet Hunter keel coming off (mine), same honeycomb build quality as the Hunter rudder pictured in the other guys thread. The keel came loose under light normal use, motoring around in San Francisco Bay. How many times do you have to be shown? Jeez... copy them for future reference.
Building down to a price my friend, you get what you pay for in life.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:02   #150

Quote:
How convenient that it "fell off" right onto a pallet...!
KnuckleDragger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water