Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2016, 07:37   #1126

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Production Boats Fit For Blue Water

Yes, there was a post there. Don't know if he was permanently banned or if it was a temporary ban and he is back. Anyway it is strange that he was able to post and then the post goes away.

Basically it said that it was a positive thread with good points all around. He was the one that started this thread.

Anyway it is a good occasion to talk about a new production boat and one that has really impressed me not only in what regards looks and design but also in what regards building and price. The boat cost just a tad more than a Bavaria and less than a Beneteau, in Europe.

Not going to lose much time talking about it since I have made a detailed post about it on my blog (look on the search engine).

The first model is a 55 (photo) the next one will be a 40: beautiful boat. I will try to know more about that one on Dusseldorf boat show, in some more days.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 19:59   #1127

Boat: wanting a cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
That's why modern commercial passenger airplanes are very simple: Max reliability is requeired
I have a lot of respect for your boat knowledge, read many of your posts,
as a professional pilot for over 35 years, I can assure you that modern aircraft today have a lot of redundancy, but are some of the most complex systems designs that are cutting edge and are by far not Phucking simple...

"just sayin"

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 20:09   #1128

Our friend does know his sailboats but doesn't know dick about airplanes but always has an opinion, gotta love the guy.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:14   #1129

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Having dealt with my share of portlight leaks, and having friends and acquaintances with far more, I really value tight portlights that can take long passages in rough weather/conditions and still keep the boat dry inside. Then I look at the big portlights (picture windows!) of many new productions boats. I marvel at how much brighter and lighter they are down below. But then I wonder how well they handle the other part they are supposed to deal with - keeping the water on the outside of the boat. It wasn't too long ago that some sailors advocated putting "storm" windows on the exterior of the smaller/beefier portlights - just in case. I think adhesives have had major improvements over the years so that would help. The the larger windows certainly have to have more strain on them from expansion/contraction/twisting since all parts of the hull are not rock solid/rigid in all conditions.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:23   #1130

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Our friend does know his sailboats but doesn't know dick about airplanes but always has an opinion, gotta love the guy.
With 18 years of age I gave in the morning instruction to would be pilots, kids less one or two years than me and have advanced training (aerobatics) on the afternoon with a air force major. I guess I know at least something about airplanes.

(at the time the country had colonial wars and Air force went to schools looking for kids with good sportive performance and after some testing, if they were selected, pilot training started at 15/16 years of age).
Old 12-04-2016, 08:37   #1131

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatservo View Post
I have a lot of respect for your boat knowledge, read many of your posts,
as a professional pilot for over 35 years, I can assure you that modern aircraft today have a lot of redundancy, but are some of the most complex systems designs that are cutting edge and are by far not Phucking simple...

"just sayin"

meatservo
I guess you did not understood I was just kidding. See the at the end of the phrase. I wanted to state exactly the opposite.

Regarding modern boats a lot of hydraulics and electrical systems are used, not with the redundancy of a modern airplane carrier but with the possibility of using those systems manually, for instance winches.

In what regards airplanes, big ones I don't believe they could be sailed without assistance, the forces would be just too big, so the redundancy has to be bigger.

Not many aid in my boat, but a single electric winch that never failed (after 9 years and many waves over the boat) and that is absolutely great for putting the big mainsail up.

If I had the money I would just change that winch, that as a remote control that I use around my neck, for one of the new ones that can pull and let go the lines and I would add two others on the the genoa winches. That way I could have absolute control of the boat from the steering wheel without having to putt the boat on autopilot and go forward for adjusting everything.

That's what more modern boats have, specially cruising ones but with a command on the pedestal.

That is a Halberg Rassy:

Old 12-04-2016, 08:47   #1132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
With 18 years of age I gave in the morning instruction to would be pilots, kids less one or two years than me and have advanced training (aerobatics) on the afternoon with a air force major. I guess I know at least something about airplanes.

(at the time the country had colonial wars and Air force went to schools looking for kids with good sportive performance and after some testing, if they were selected, pilot training started at 15/16 years of age).
Airlines are no longer flying DC3's and new airliners are extremely complex unlike sailboats that are basically built like they were 50 years ago.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:59   #1133

Sorry Polux, missed your sarcasm completely! You are smarter than I look.

All good my friend...

meatservo
Old 13-04-2016, 16:20   #1134

I did learn a lot from this twisted, sidetracked thread, where did smackdady go?

Anyone seen the BD 56, SUV of the sea?

Kinda like sailing, only different...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	103_Falcon900LX_2015USB49.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	265.2 KB
ID:	122585  
Old 13-04-2016, 17:22   #1135

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatservo View Post
I did learn a lot from this twisted, sidetracked thread, where did smackdady go?

Anyone seen the BD 56, SUV of the sea?

Kinda like sailing, only different...
There is a Scandinavian one I like more and they have actually not only made the boat but also made the ARC (transat) with it, sailing and fast. Have made a post about it on my blog (30 november 2014). On engine It can go really fast and while sailing is better than most old sailboats.

The price, as expected, is the problem.

Smackdady was too irreverent and kind of rude to this forum. Had problems with that and was kicked out. Fact is that I appreciate the relative lack of rudeness on this forum but I miss the guy, he was fun. He posts on another forum where he is the OP of a very popular thread similar to this one and has a blog.
Old 01-06-2016, 18:53   #1136

Boat: Top Hat (Mark III) 25 feet

Sven Yrvind's "Bris Amphibie". That guy is an amazing sailor!

Welcome to Sven Yrvind- the official website

http://www.yrvind.com/present_projec...09/sailing.jpg
PommyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 19:56   #1137

This is a very good thread but long. Thank you. Very informing and much entertainment!!!
Monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water