Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2015, 15:58   #481
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Production Boats Fit For Blue Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Let's see know where is that thread on swinger's??
need a few wipes for that ?
Old 05-01-2015, 15:59   #482

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
In fact here we also have mandatory regular boat inspections and without them the boat certificate is not renovated but I bought the boat in Italy and maintained the boat Italian flag and guess what?...This year I would need to have the boat inspected by the Italian authorities (RINA) for renovating my Italian boat certificate...and costs in Italy about the double than what costs in Portugal
So we agree Britain doesn't require regular CE inspections. I already showed you Ireland doesn't require them. Italy just started, and I can't find anything listed under the German TÜV, who one has to assume would be the agency in charge there.

So your assertion that ALL EU countries require ongoing inspections is false, at least pursuant to what I have documented.

Still feel like not showing us where this requirement comes from? It is likely not only myself who is willing to learn, but I suspect many others.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 05-01-2015, 16:00   #483
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
You owe me a computer now.. Stop it!
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 16:05   #484

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post

So your assertion that ALL EU countries require ongoing inspections is false, at least pursuant to what I have documented.
What is false is saying that I had said that ALL EU contries require ongoing inspections. Maybe you want to read again what I said? In fact you should have done that before saying that I said things I did not said
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 16:07   #485
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
So we agree Britain doesn't require regular CE inspections. I already showed you Ireland doesn't require them. Italy just started, and I can't find anything listed under the German TÜV, who one has to assume would be the agency in charge there.

Still feel like not showing us where this requirement comes from? It is likely not only myself who is willing to learn, but I suspect many others.

EU law does not require a boat to be maintained in "class" or infact remain compliant with its original RCD requirements. There are strictures on commercial bodies working on your boat post construction , especially around engines , emissions and noise.

If individual countries are doing it, then that is at their own behest. I wasn't aware Italy was doing it as a matter of law.
Old 05-01-2015, 16:10   #486

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
What is false is saying that I had said that ALL EU contries require ongoing inspections. Maybe you want to read again what I said? In fact you should have done that before saying that I said things I did not said
Oh boy, you can always tell when these threads have entered the flame-out phase.

Dave -- thanks for explaining the CE rating stuff so clearly. Your explanation of the brass seacock issue was also quite informative, and resolved some questions I've had for years.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 16:25   #487

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Can someone try to explain to this guy the difference between Naval Bronze, Brass and DZR brass? He obviously won't listen to me.

What you see in the picture is definitely... positively DZR brass... the same crap that's specified in the Bluewater B.S. certification that you and others hold in such high regard. DZR brass... the same crap that self destructs every 5 years (or so) under normal use unless you replace them... usually, at the most inopportune moment.
You and Neilpride maybe the only people calling DZR brass crap.

Since you are replacing your seacocks, I suggest you don't use the highly rated Blakes and Isis brands because they are made solely of DZR brass.

I think you have another problem going on there that is unrelated to the material of your seacock. My advice would be to seriously check out that possibility before just checking it off to DZR brass.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 16:28   #488

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Polux,

The CF discussion on seacocks was from before you started posting possibly from 5 to 3 years ago and thats where many of the links that have been highlighted come from. Was also raised in many english speaking sailing magazines.

Certainly a good learning discussion on seacocks and raised everybodys awareness of brass seacocks fitted by many of the european production manufacturers.

Something to check and plan for replacement.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 16:29   #489
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

Since you are replacing your seacocks, I suggest you don't use the highly rated Blakes and Isis brands because they are made solely of DZR brass.

I think you have another problem going on there that is unrelated to the material of your seacock. My advice would be to seriously check out that possibility before just checking it off to DZR brass.

Mark
in an unbonded boat, with EU style AC wiring, good quality DNZ brass is more then adequate. Bronze tends to be preferred in the US, because ABYC standards actually encourage or facilitate impressed corrosion. Blakes is an excellent seacock
Old 05-01-2015, 16:38   #490

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

Mark
Bronze seacocks are more expensive but by what has been said one would suppose the difference in price to be huge regarding similar seacoks and that is not the case:

DZR Ball Valves

Bronze Ball Valves
Old 05-01-2015, 16:43   #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
And a Happy New Year to you my friend. Crazy thread on swinging, with my luck I'd draw my own car keys back. R
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 16:57   #492

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Polux,

The CF discussion on seacocks was from before you started posting possibly from 5 to 3 years ago and thats where many of the links that have been highlighted come from. Was also raised in many english speaking sailing magazines.

Certainly a good learning discussion on seacocks and raised everybodys awareness of brass seacocks fitted by many of the european production manufacturers.

Something to check and plan for replacement.
Yes I read all the fuss on the British magazines years ago...and I was worried but then it has only the British magazines that made all that noise and I talked with the guys from Bavaria (I had a Bavaria then) and they laugh at me and the fact is that my old boat that is not mine anymore still has the same seacocks (13 years).

I have paid attention to the ones I have on my boat now (I don't know if they are brass or bronze), they are tested under pressure every year, inspected on the outside and inside, lubricated. At the smallest sign of a problem or corrosion I will change them but on the shipyard (that is the one that makes after sales service to my brand of boat) they say that never had any problem with seacocks, that they will change them only when needed and that normally is on boats much older than mine (8 years old).

I guess the problem on US is that boats tend to be a lot older and for what I have heard around on this forum, they took regular maintenance much less seriously than here.

British nautical press is a very conservative one, a bit like British sailors and they tend to make a big fuss about everything: AVS, Lost Keels, Seacoks, Rudders you name it. I guess that sell magazines.
Old 05-01-2015, 17:07   #493

Quote:
Yes I read all the fuss on the British magazines years ago...and I was worried but then it has only the British magazines that made all that noise and I talked with the guys from Bavaria (I had a Bavaria then) and they laugh at me and the fact is that my old boat that is not mine anymore still has the same seacocks (13 years).

I have paid attention to the ones I have on my boat now (I don't know if they are brass or bronze), they are tested under pressure every year, inspected on the outside and inside, lubricated. At the smallest sign of a problem or corrosion I will change them but on the shipyard (that is the one that makes after sales service to my brand of boat) they say that never had any problem with seacocks, that they will change them only when needed and that normally is on boats much older than mine (8 years old).

I guess the problem on US is that boats tend to be a lot older and for what I have heard around on this forum, they took regular maintenance much less seriously than here.

British nautical press is a very conservative one, a bit like British sailors and they tend to make a big fuss about everything: AVS, Lost Keels, Seacoks, Rudders you name it. I guess that sell magazines.
Now that my friend is funny, why would those crazy British be concerned about rudders and keels falling off sailboats? Kinda makes the brass seacock debate seem a bit on the wimpy side!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 17:38   #494

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:

Polux -- just out of curiosity, what do you mean by having your seacocks "tested under pressure"?
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 17:45   #495

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
What you did say was:

Quote:
You and your requeirements I am telling you that on most EC countries private boats have to be inspected regularly and my word on that is enough. It is not only boats, cars are also subjected to regular mandatory inspections in Europe. That is common knowledge.
It appears that very EU countries require the inspections you so vehemently insisted was "common knowledge".

Perhaps now you understand why I ask for references. Which you still have not given.

Tags
water