Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2015, 16:58   #481
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Production Boats Fit For Blue Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Let's see know where is that thread on swinger's??
need a few wipes for that ?
__________________

__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 16:59   #482
Moderator
 
avb3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida/Alberta
Boat: Lippincott 30
Posts: 9,904
Images: 1
Re: Production Boats Fit For Blue Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
In fact here we also have mandatory regular boat inspections and without them the boat certificate is not renovated but I bought the boat in Italy and maintained the boat Italian flag and guess what?...This year I would need to have the boat inspected by the Italian authorities (RINA) for renovating my Italian boat certificate...and costs in Italy about the double than what costs in Portugal
So we agree Britain doesn't require regular CE inspections. I already showed you Ireland doesn't require them. Italy just started, and I can't find anything listed under the German TÜV, who one has to assume would be the agency in charge there.

So your assertion that ALL EU countries require ongoing inspections is false, at least pursuant to what I have documented.

Still feel like not showing us where this requirement comes from? It is likely not only myself who is willing to learn, but I suspect many others.



Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
If your attitude resembles the south end of a bull heading north, it's time to turn around.
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 17:00   #483
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 8,153
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Production Boats Fit For Blue Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
need a few wipes for that ?
You owe me a computer now.. Stop it!
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 17:05   #484
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,474
Re: Production Boats Fit For Blue Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
...

So your assertion that ALL EU countries require ongoing inspections is false, at least pursuant to what I have documented.
...
What is false is saying that I had said that ALL EU contries require ongoing inspections. Maybe you want to read again what I said? In fact you should have done that before saying that I said things I did not said
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 17:07   #485
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Production Boats Fit For Blue Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
So we agree Britain doesn't require regular CE inspections. I already showed you Ireland doesn't require them. Italy just started, and I can't find anything listed under the German TÜV, who one has to assume would be the agency in charge there.

So your assertion that ALL EU countries require ongoing inspections is false, at least pursuant to what I have documented.

Still feel like not showing us where this requirement comes from? It is likely not only myself who is willing to learn, but I suspect many others.



Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
EU law does not require a boat to be maintained in "class" or infact remain compliant with its original RCD requirements. There are strictures on commercial bodies working on your boat post construction , especially around engines , emissions and noise.

If individual countries are doing it, then that is at their own behest. I wasn't aware Italy was doing it as a matter of law.
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 17:10   #486
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 2,513
Re: Production Boats Fit For Blue Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
What is false is saying that I had said that ALL EU contries require ongoing inspections. Maybe you want to read again what I said? In fact you should have done that before saying that I said things I did not said
Oh boy, you can always tell when these threads have entered the flame-out phase.

Dave -- thanks for explaining the CE rating stuff so clearly. Your explanation of the brass seacock issue was also quite informative, and resolved some questions I've had for years.
__________________
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 17:25   #487
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,043
Images: 12
Re: Production Boats Fit For Blue Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Can someone try to explain to this guy the difference between Naval Bronze, Brass and DZR brass? He obviously won't listen to me.

What you see in the picture is definitely... positively DZR brass... the same crap that's specified in the Bluewater B.S. certification that you and others hold in such high regard. DZR brass... the same crap that self destructs every 5 years (or so) under normal use unless you replace them... usually, at the most inopportune moment.
You and Neilpride maybe the only people calling DZR brass crap.

Since you are replacing your seacocks, I suggest you don't use the highly rated Blakes and Isis brands because they are made solely of DZR brass.

I think you have another problem going on there that is unrelated to the material of your seacock. My advice would be to seriously check out that possibility before just checking it off to DZR brass.

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 17:28   #488
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mackay,QLD, Australia
Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat
Posts: 3,419
Images: 3
Re: Production Boats Fit For Blue Water

Polux,

The CF discussion on seacocks was from before you started posting possibly from 5 to 3 years ago and thats where many of the links that have been highlighted come from. Was also raised in many english speaking sailing magazines.

Certainly a good learning discussion on seacocks and raised everybodys awareness of brass seacocks fitted by many of the european production manufacturers.

Something to check and plan for replacement.
__________________
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 17:29   #489
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Production Boats Fit For Blue Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
You and Neilpride maybe the only people calling DZR brass crap.

Since you are replacing your seacocks, I suggest you don't use the highly rated Blakes and Isis brands because they are made solely of DZR brass.

I think you have another problem going on there that is unrelated to the material of your seacock. My advice would be to seriously check out that possibility before just checking it off to DZR brass.

Mark
in an unbonded boat, with EU style AC wiring, good quality DNZ brass is more then adequate. Bronze tends to be preferred in the US, because ABYC standards actually encourage or facilitate impressed corrosion. Blakes is an excellent seacock
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 17:38   #490
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,474
Re: Production Boats Fit For Blue Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
You and Neilpride maybe the only people calling DZR brass crap.

Since you are replacing your seacocks, I suggest you don't use the highly rated Blakes and Isis brands because they are made solely of DZR brass.

I think you have another problem going on there that is unrelated to the material of your seacock. My advice would be to seriously check out that possibility before just checking it off to DZR brass.

Mark
Bronze seacocks are more expensive but by what has been said one would suppose the difference in price to be huge regarding similar seacoks and that is not the case:

DZR Ball Valves

Bronze Ball Valves
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 17:43   #491
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,460
Re: Production Boats Fit For Blue Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
need a few wipes for that ?
And a Happy New Year to you my friend. Crazy thread on swinging, with my luck I'd draw my own car keys back. R
__________________
robert sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 17:57   #492
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,474
Re: Production Boats Fit For Blue Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Polux,

The CF discussion on seacocks was from before you started posting possibly from 5 to 3 years ago and thats where many of the links that have been highlighted come from. Was also raised in many english speaking sailing magazines.

Certainly a good learning discussion on seacocks and raised everybodys awareness of brass seacocks fitted by many of the european production manufacturers.

Something to check and plan for replacement.
Yes I read all the fuss on the British magazines years ago...and I was worried but then it has only the British magazines that made all that noise and I talked with the guys from Bavaria (I had a Bavaria then) and they laugh at me and the fact is that my old boat that is not mine anymore still has the same seacocks (13 years).

I have paid attention to the ones I have on my boat now (I don't know if they are brass or bronze), they are tested under pressure every year, inspected on the outside and inside, lubricated. At the smallest sign of a problem or corrosion I will change them but on the shipyard (that is the one that makes after sales service to my brand of boat) they say that never had any problem with seacocks, that they will change them only when needed and that normally is on boats much older than mine (8 years old).

I guess the problem on US is that boats tend to be a lot older and for what I have heard around on this forum, they took regular maintenance much less seriously than here.

British nautical press is a very conservative one, a bit like British sailors and they tend to make a big fuss about everything: AVS, Lost Keels, Seacoks, Rudders you name it. I guess that sell magazines.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 18:07   #493
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,460
Re: Production Boats Fit For Blue Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Yes I read all the fuss on the British magazines years ago...and I was worried but then it has only the British magazines that made all that noise and I talked with the guys from Bavaria (I had a Bavaria then) and they laugh at me and the fact is that my old boat that is not mine anymore still has the same seacocks (13 years).

I have paid attention to the ones I have on my boat now (I don't know if they are brass or bronze), they are tested under pressure every year, inspected on the outside and inside, lubricated. At the smallest sign of a problem or corrosion I will change them but on the shipyard (that is the one that makes after sales service to my brand of boat) they say that never had any problem with seacocks, that they will change them only when needed and that normally is on boats much older than mine (8 years old).

I guess the problem on US is that boats tend to be a lot older and for what I have heard around on this forum, they took regular maintenance much less seriously than here.

British nautical press is a very conservative one, a bit like British sailors and they tend to make a big fuss about everything: AVS, Lost Keels, Seacoks, Rudders you name it. I guess that sell magazines.
Now that my friend is funny, why would those crazy British be concerned about rudders and keels falling off sailboats? Kinda makes the brass seacock debate seem a bit on the wimpy side!
__________________
robert sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 18:38   #494
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 2,513
Re: Production Boats Fit For Blue Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Yes I read all the fuss on the British magazines years ago...and I was worried but then it has only the British magazines that made all that noise and I talked with the guys from Bavaria (I had a Bavaria then) and they laugh at me and the fact is that my old boat that is not mine anymore still has the same seacocks (13 years).

I have paid attention to the ones I have on my boat now (I don't know if they are brass or bronze), they are tested under pressure every year, inspected on the outside and inside, lubricated. At the smallest sign of a problem or corrosion I will change them but on the shipyard (that is the one that makes after sales service to my brand of boat) they say that never had any problem with seacocks, that they will change them only when needed and that normally is on boats much older than mine (8 years old).

I guess the problem on US is that boats tend to be a lot older and for what I have heard around on this forum, they took regular maintenance much less seriously than here.

British nautical press is a very conservative one, a bit like British sailors and they tend to make a big fuss about everything: AVS, Lost Keels, Seacoks, Rudders you name it. I guess that sell magazines.
Polux -- just out of curiosity, what do you mean by having your seacocks "tested under pressure"?
__________________
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 18:45   #495
Moderator
 
avb3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida/Alberta
Boat: Lippincott 30
Posts: 9,904
Images: 1
Re: Production Boats Fit For Blue Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
What is false is saying that I had said that ALL EU contries require ongoing inspections. Maybe you want to read again what I said? In fact you should have done that before saying that I said things I did not said
What you did say was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
You and your requeirements I am telling you that on most EC countries private boats have to be inspected regularly and my word on that is enough. It is not only boats, cars are also subjected to regular mandatory inspections in Europe. That is common knowledge.
It appears that very EU countries require the inspections you so vehemently insisted was "common knowledge".

Perhaps now you understand why I ask for references. Which you still have not given.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
If your attitude resembles the south end of a bull heading north, it's time to turn around.
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
water

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Production Boats vs Custom Boats seaturkey Monohull Sailboats 64 07-01-2015 08:23
Older, Higher Quality vs Newer Production Boats scevrog Monohull Sailboats 62 21-10-2010 04:23
Hunter 37.6 - Fit for Blue Water Cruising ? saltiepaw Monohull Sailboats 10 22-07-2010 15:12
production boats vs blue water cruisiers judithanne Monohull Sailboats 30 29-09-2005 08:53
More production boats BC Mike Monohull Sailboats 2 24-03-2005 19:29


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:30.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.