Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2010, 13:44   #1

Boat: Pearson 30
Process Started

Well, finally we have started the process....we are selling everything and we are getting ready for our sailing adventure. First thing that went was my Harley, next it will be the business and my collection of HI FI gear, after that ....whatever there is left. We are planning to leave in the spring of 2011, put the kids on the boat and go wherever we feel like it.
I am looking around for a boat already, somewhere in the 38/40 foot, a nice safe cruiser.

We are getting closer
cla6665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 13:50   #2
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My commiserations on the Harley, but congratulations - you are closer than we are!! If you left the kids behind, could you fit the HI-FI gear onboard??
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 13:56   #3

Yeah I know.....I felt kind of " sad" for a few minutes but just the thought of sailing away put a smile on my ugly face....
I would love to leave the kids behind and have some good music on board but unfortunately the law doesn't allow it.....
Old 24-07-2010, 14:46   #4

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
Congratulations! Taking the first step has got to feel good. Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 24-07-2010, 15:30   #5

I have to be honest, it does feel good. You can actually see things starting to happen instead of just thinking about it. I have been thinking about it for a long time and now it's time to get moving.....
Can't wait for the day that I 'll be saying " I am off to I don't where and I don't know for how long either". The more I think about it the more I think that it's the right thing to do, especially for my 2 kids. I want them to experience what life should be like, simple and rich, not in money but in experience.
For the first time we will be free, no house, no bills, no running around and stressing out trying to keep up with what's around you. I am ready .....
Old 24-07-2010, 17:03   #6

Boat: Mason 53
Congratulations! It helped us to have a written list of all the items to check all. You can make it a family event once a week to update the status. We gave ourselves a year. In the end the house didn't sell, but we left anyway. The day it did sell, we chucked the keys in the Pacific and broke out the bubbles!! Welcome to the lifesytle. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 17:23   #7

Thank you much,
fortunately I don't have a house to sell ( it would be nice to sell one when the economy is good). Th e business is the only" big thing" we have to sell, other than that just " stuff". I had the kids starting to work on a list of thing that they would like to bring along ( man...if I go with that I would need a 100 ft boat). My 11 years old is reading books with me and learning the basics " things", parts of a boat, lines, this and that. He is having fun.

Can't wait
Old 24-07-2010, 18:06   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
My two bikes were the first to go when we bought our boat. I don't regret it at all.

Home goes on the market in the next few weeks. We are keeping our fingers crossed!

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 18:10   #9

Good luck widzgall,
Old 24-07-2010, 19:57   #10

Boat: Mason 53
One thing to keep in mind as you find your ship, that a lot of people overlook in the process, is the amount of weight you will be moving aboard. The typcial coastal cruiser is not designed for the additional weight it takes to live long term on. Since you have children that will contribute to the challenge. Another list to start. Take a shot at putting down some poundage to go with the items. It will surprise you how it adds up. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 18:08   #11

Getting closer

Hi crew,
just an update, we found a buyer for our restaurant and we are going to close in the next few weeks.
Most of our "stuff" is gone, including the bike.
If everything goes well we will be buying a boat in a month or so and start the process of moving aboard.

We can't wait.....
Old 16-09-2010, 06:05   #12

I've been lurking here for a long time and finally decided to post.

I feel you about the bike. We've been "planning" selling out and full time cruising for a while. This summer, we made the leap of faith. I've been a motorcycle racer (roadracing) for a long time. I officially retired this summer following another crash.

I developed a business plan to get us where we need to be financially. I've sold the motorhome and trailer already. I sold one race bike and tons of go-fast race parts. The other i gave to my son to turn back into a street bike.

It was the big step to commit to this thing i needed. I gave up what i love to pull this thing off.
PurpleHaze is offline   Reply With Quote