Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2018, 15:03   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1
Problems with ordered boats?

My wife and I are considering purchasing a new boat. While looking around, we observed several boats which were delivered with equipment different from what was ordered. Any of you know of (maybe experienced first hand) a boat ordered from the factory not being as ordered?
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 15:11   #2

Re: Problems with ordered boats?

It can happen but you go through an acceptance process and check off the items you ordered. Don't accept until it's complete. They can substitute equipment but they have to ok it with you. A contract signed by both parties is binding on both.

For what it's worth I ordered a 40 footer (years ago) and about a month before delivery the agent called and we went through the items. He said "white hull" and I said it should have been blue. Had the emails to prove it.

They offered to paint it blue for me after delivery as a way to fix the problem!
Needless to say I declined and cancelled the order 3 weeks from delivery.
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 15:12   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Not sure who you're alluding to. Got any examples? Some "options" are dealer supplied and installed, some factory installed.
Old 30-09-2018, 21:43   #4

Boat: Hanse 531

I came across this just a few months ago when interviewing the owner of a new boat (same model we ordered ourselves a bit later). The boat was delivered with one piece of (optional) deck equipment actually missing.

Also during our ordering process I noticed the risk of getting selections and options wrong due to communication problems etc, so here's the most important steps of the process so far, and some comments:

- The final order should include a complete and accurate list of equipment, options, fabrics, colours etc. Take the time to iterate through this until everything is as it should be before signing. Unintentional mistakes can creep in and they are much more difficult to fix later on. (I've heard of a couple who had to redo their whole interior at their own cost due to bad communications, but that was another dealer and another brand )

- To prevent mistakes being made between the dealer and the manufacturer, request (if not automatically provided) a copy of the manufacturer's order confirmation and recheck that everything is in order.

I'll report back in December about whether the actual boat matches the specifications but meanwhile I'll just end by saying that so far we've had communication mishaps in both of the steps above, and it would have been surprisingly easy to end up with a boat with different specifications than we expected.
Old 01-10-2018, 00:07   #5

Read the Contract closely, often they put an "out" that they can change brand/model.

If there is something you want specifically, make sure to put it in the Contract that you want that specific item by make & model and will not accept alternatives.

Now if they completely forgot something, make them make it right.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 00:47   #6

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Nothing to do with boats but we are manufacturers. We follow ISO 9001 quality assurance and it would require someone deliberately falsely filling out the paperwork for a product to go out not as specified in the paperwork.

I would think it is more likely that the original order specifications are not documented accurately and would agree that asking for the order schedule and checking that early in the process would solve issues before they exist.

We supply this as part of our procedure, it covers our backside as much as anyone elses.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:14   #7

Boat: Beneteau First 42

For what it's worth, examine the standard Representations and Warranties of the purchase agreement closely. I have seen 'boiler plate' language in purchase agreements that provide, essentially, that: 'Seller reserves the right to substitute equipment substantially similar in function and quality to optional equipment selected by Buyer at its own option.' With the foregoing, or something equivalent, you could end up with equipment quite different than what you thought you were getting without recourse.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:42   #8

Boat: 42' Grand Banks M/Y

Here are two general suggestions; work with a well established dealer that's been in business a long time and has a strong reputation. If something is wrong upon delivery, it's the dealer who will go to bat for you with the manufacturer. Also choose a broker (or salesperson) who has experience with new or custom builds.

Second, don't front any more money than necessary. I watched a dear friend lose a small fortune (and their boat) when the dealer they placed their order through went out of business. (This was in Newport Beach, CA)

Good Luck!
Blaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 13:59   #9

Boat: 1998 Hunter 410 (now), 1981 Bayfield 32c (old)

Consider getting a clause in writing that holds back your payment, (less the deposit of course), until the new vessel passes independent survey.

While a new boat has a warranty, some issues may not be discovered until years later. eg) Voids in the fibreglass.

The other big advantage to the buyer is it keeps onus on the broker to get things fixed quickly rather than have you take the boat away, and hopefully forget about the issues you bring up.
VanIslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 14:59   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslandGuy View Post
Consider getting a clause in writing that holds back your payment, (less the deposit of course), until the new vessel passes independent survey.

While a new boat has a warranty, some issues may not be discovered until years later. eg) Voids in the fibreglass.

The other big advantage to the buyer is it keeps onus on the broker to get things fixed quickly rather than have you take the boat away, and hopefully forget about the issues you bring up.
^^^^

Sadly, this is the most important of all, with a brand new boat. Mostly fdue carelessness or corner cutting by workers or a builder. It can save you tens of thousands over time. The independent surveyor clause is the way to go!

Ann
Old 02-10-2018, 15:20   #11

Often the fine print allows them to substitute or change design points. keep that in mind. Also, my impression is builders are very seldom on schedule, but that may not be up to date.
If you really want to get into it you could itemize the specific things important to you to get only that brand and model.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat