Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 21:36   #1

Boat: 1982 Macgregor 25
Previous Owner Afriad of Sinking???

We just purchased our 1982 MacGregor 25 and I'm having a great time fixing up some cosmetic things and exploring all of the storage options. I noticed however that huge compartments of storage are filled with large broken up pieces of styrofoam. Not stuff that is supposed to be there, it's literally used packing material from electronics and other delicate items. Some of the compartments are even screwed shut with the styrofoam inside. The MacGregors have a reputation for being 'unsinkable' because they have a foam layer in the hull. This wasn't exactly what I thought the manufacturer had in mind. Is this common? Do any of you other sailors do this?? Or was this previous owner a little nutty...
pennelopesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 21:46   #2

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Re: Previous Owner Afriad of Sinking???

When I had my Chrysler 22, I had some extra foam put in the bow compartment. But you can overdo it. It sounds like the previous owner had concerns about sinking.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 21:48   #3

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

We owned an 07 McGregor 26M at one time and it had simular flotation in every little place from the factory . There a good boat but a little sensitive in strong breezes. There is a McGregor web site for owners with all the info you miht need. Have a great time out sailing.
Old 05-07-2012, 21:50   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

It sounds a bit overkill if it affects how functional the boat is to you.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 22:40   #5

Safety is critical but it sounds like a little bit of paronoia on the part of the previous owner. Tear all of that trash out and get the CG required safety gear+maybe a little more and enjoy the boat. Get good ground tackle and if things go bad get anchored before you are on the rocks. That is safety, not paranoia._____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 22:47   #6

Did you really buy that boat without opening up these compartments first?
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:01   #7

Boat: 1982 Macgregor 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
Did you really buy that boat without opening up these compartments first?
We did open up the compartments and just saw they were all filled with broken up styrofoam. The compartments that are screwed shut are the ones that are the most filled with the foam. Pretty much the whole space under the bow and one space at the stern. This is my first sailboat so it's just really interesting to me where I find all of the spaces for storage and how I'm going to organize our supplies when all of the foam is gone. We got the boat and motor with a bunch of extra supplies for $3k so we're prepared for any surprises we may find (and have found a few already!) but couldn't beat the price.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo07051929_1.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	43089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo06301558_3.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	43090  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo06301559_2.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	43091  
pennelopesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 14:10   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennelopesmom View Post
We did open up the compartments and just saw they were all filled with broken up styrofoam. The compartments that are screwed shut are the ones that are the most filled with the foam. Pretty much the whole space under the bow and one space at the stern. This is my first sailboat so it's just really interesting to me where I find all of the spaces for storage and how I'm going to organize our supplies when all of the foam is gone. We got the boat and motor with a bunch of extra supplies for $3k so we're prepared for any surprises we may find (and have found a few already!) but couldn't beat the price.
Since this is your first boat, I'd recommend you get this book sooner rather than later:

Amazon.com: Don Caseys Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual : Including Inspecting the Aging Sailboat, Sailboat Hull and Deck Repair, Sailboat Refinishing, Sailbo eBook: Don Casey: Kindle Store

Some sections you won't need for this boat (the section on diesels, for example) but if you stick with sailing, the whole book will pay for itself many times over. First section I would read is "Inspecting The Aging Sailboat"... Take a full day, get a flashlight and screwdriver, go over the boat, and make a list of repairs based on what the book tells you to do. If anything looks like a safety issue, get it taken care of right away. Less critical stuff can probably wait, if you and hubby are comfortable with that.

If you have friends who are experienced sailors, ask them to help out with this inspection and recommendations for people who can do the repairs or DIY help.

And be careful about overloading this boat with supplies.. With your family of six, plus safety equipment, anchor, etc. you will probably be close to maximum capacity without any supplies, so think bare minimum. You won't be doing any over nighting right away is my guess, so you should really only bring along what you need for that day on the water, including plenty of drinking water.

Finally, make sure that outboard is in good shape and very reliable.. Make sure the kids are always in CG approved PFD's when on the boat. You and hubby too.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 14:35   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
Since this is your first boat, I'd recommend you get this book sooner rather than later:

Amazon.com: Don Caseys Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual : Including Inspecting the Aging Sailboat, Sailboat Hull and Deck Repair, Sailboat Refinishing, Sailbo eBook: Don Casey: Kindle Store

Some sections you won't need for this boat (the section on diesels, for example) but if you stick with sailing, the whole book will pay for itself many times over. First section I would read is "Inspecting The Aging Sailboat"... Take a full day, get a flashlight and screwdriver, go over the boat, and make a list of repairs based on what the book tells you to do. If anything looks like a safety issue, get it taken care of right away. Less critical stuff can probably wait, if you and hubby are comfortable with that.

If you have friends who are experienced sailors, ask them to help out with this inspection and recommendations for people who can do the repairs or DIY help.

And be careful about overloading this boat with supplies.. With your family of six, plus safety equipment, anchor, etc. you will probably be close to maximum capacity without any supplies, so think bare minimum. You won't be doing any over nighting right away is my guess, so you should really only bring along what you need for that day on the water, including plenty of drinking water.

Finally, make sure that outboard is in good shape and very reliable.. Make sure the kids are always in CG approved PFD's when on the boat. You and hubby too.
+ get a VHF handheld and vessel assist or seatow
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 14:52   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

Packing foam would never save you under any possible sinking situation. You'll go under sure as anything. Fear of sinking is a a good thing when diverted into learning to sail and navigate better! Properly trained and conditioned you could sail anything and not sink even if you could still end up dead.

Some sailors are nutty. - deal with it! The good news is if you are too you'll never figure it out. Being a better sailor is better than foam packing. You'll have more fun and sink far less often. Being safe is really thinking safe not being afraid of sinking. Being afraid means you don't know what to do. It tends to make you nutty. If you feel afraid it's time to fell better by knowing more. It's not like you came to a bad place either. You probably are not nutty but maybe just have nut tendencies that we can fix.

Having more fun safe is the only solution to your problem. I would suggest doing it as often as possible.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 14:52   #11

Boat: Pearson 281

A fun boat for Penelope and her mom!! Hooray!
Maybe the po was a shop-by-mail junkie who had to hide all the packaging from his/her spouse
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 14:53   #12

Boat: Ericson 35-3

Long time lurker, thought I would jump in. I had a Venture 22 for a bit. The foam under the cockpit and under the v-berth ARE the flotation in these boats. It can be debated wether this is necessary or not, but this quote.

Quote:
MacGregors have a reputation for being 'unsinkable' because they have a foam layer in the hull.
is incorrect there's nothing fancy about the hull its just fiberglass.

Personally I wouldn't take any of the flotation out because you can already easily overload this boat without the extra storage.

I'd suggest getting Brian Gilberst books on trailerable boats.

Just my 2 cents.
brownr377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 15:00   #13

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

The OP did not say he/she is afraid of sinking.
Good thing Too--because IF that is the case--you need to get rid of the boat (any boat) ASAP.
Old 06-07-2012, 15:17   #14
Marine Service Provider

Speaking of McGregors sorry for diversion, what do the new 26's cost in the US?

They have a boat show special this week in Melbourne Australia for $57k as displayed with a 60hp Evinrude.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 15:42   #15

Is the 25 waterballasted? If so it may be one of the few boats where foam would help keep her from going under. Of course it's not that simple....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote