Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2019, 16:45   #1

Boat: Rafiki 37
Pressure water - overrated?

I've just finished an article on stuff I've bought that I liked and stuff that I wish I hadn't got - and pressure water was on the 'wish I didn't have it' list.

I figure this will be a bit controversial so decided to ask others about it - I wish I'd ripped the whole shebang out and replaced it with a freshwater and a saltwater footpump.

When I got the boat 5 years ago I thought it'd be essential but it's turned out to be a huge pain.

- way higher chance of leaks
- uses way more water
- pumps seem to break fairly often (every couple of years, even the expensive ones)
- I don't shower on the boat anyway - in marinas I use the shower then and cruising I either solar shower or go for a swim.
- Don't really use the hot water either - washing up I use seawater, or cold freshwater.
- plumbing is the worst job on the boat and the less of it I have the better (have a composter for pretty much that reason)

Anyone here not have pressure water and glad of it? I've met quite a few people who don't have it, and not one of them wishes they did.
Old 18-01-2019, 16:54   #2

Re: Pressure water - overrated?

I would rather not have it.

On my previous boat I converted a crappy pressure water system (leaks, waste, noise) to manual. It was great.

On my current boat I inherited a perfectly functional pressure system. It works fine, but is still noisy, requires maintenance, and takes effort to ensure we don’t waste water. I have plans to fully replace it with a manual system, but since it works OK, it keeps staying low on the never-ending-to-do list.

I did install a parallel manual system for sea water. So I have both right now.

There are some nice things about the pressure water. And despite my preferences, it’s really not a big negative. It’s just that a good manual system is superior for me.
Old 18-01-2019, 16:54   #3

I used to not have pressure water. Now I do.

The wife and I are much happier with 1000 liters of water tankage and a 40 liter/hour water maker.

We buy good pumps that last (we don't know how long...) and plumbing is about the lowest maintenance item on the boat.

We only use about 20 liters of water per day, but it sure is nice just turning the faucet and having water come out.

The difference between Yachting and camping.

Of course we live this life 24/7/365 so a touch of creature comfort is nice.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 17:01   #4

Mik's mix of pressure fresh and hand seawater is a very good combination.

I have a 32 year old Shruflo pump still going strong. I attribute that the fact that I have a backup replacement on board. I also replaced the plumbing hoses about 5 years ago. Have owned this boat for 20 years.

Our former boat, which we had for 13 years, was smaller, with none.

Difference between camping and living is apt.

I almost never use on-shore showers, preferring my own privacy and cleanliness. 6 gallon Seward hater, elec and engine heat.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 17:43   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Always had it (since 1994) never once had a problem with it.
Wouldn't be without it. I've also never carried less than 200imperial gallons of water and would not want to carry less.

You choice has no effect on mine nor mine on you.

Also would not have a CQR on my boat
Old 18-01-2019, 18:16   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Pressure water is BIG water waster. Tied up to a dock would go through a 35 gallon tank of water in a week or little longer. Out cruising with pressure water turned off and using foot pumps, could go over a month without a refill. Don't really find foot pumps an inconvenience/annoyance but then don't sail in areas that I can't wash up in cockpit.

If I wanted pressure water would use it on the salt side. No concern with conservation using salt water.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 18:18   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post

The difference between Yachting and camping.

Of course we live this life 24/7/365 so a touch of creature comfort is nice.
I gotta say, I think a decent foot-pump is nothing like camping. Water still comes out the tap, you just have to move your foot a bit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Always had it (since 1994) never once had a problem with it.
Wouldn't be without it. I've also never carried less than 200imperial gallons of water and would not want to carry less.

You choice has no effect on mine nor mine on you.

Also would not have a CQR on my boat
Hey now, lets not turn this into an anchor thread (though I agree with you and would never have a CQR on my boat. My mantus has been rocking it for 4+ years now!)
Old 18-01-2019, 18:19   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

We have 2 boats, both with ample water tankage.

The 33’ boat has no pressure water but has foot operated salt and fresh water at both sinks. It came with very deep keel water tanks with a fuel tank under the cockpit sole. I had to remove the fuel tank for hull repairs . I relocated fuel to keel and water into 2 tanks higher up. With tanks in keel draining them was a major hasssel. I wanted power water to pump them out. Now I just let them flow into the bilge and the bilge pulp evacuates the water.

On the 44 we have a foot pump in the valley and a pressure pump in head. We use the pressure pump when we want a larger quantity of water, say for the solar shower. And I use it to drain the deep water tanks. All valley and most personal hygiene is done with the galley foot pump.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 18:28   #9

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

I'm converting manual to electric pump. I was quite happy with manual but ZERO chance for my wife.

I bought the small pump, 11lt/minute, still sounds like to much. And at 50psi, sounds like leaks to me. I'm thinking of putting the system on timers ?
Old 18-01-2019, 20:56   #10

Boat: Island Packet 40

Easy enough to have both.

On my last boat I had both fresh and sea water to the galley sink, both with electric pressure pumps switched with a foot switch and no valves on the discharges. The switch was about 9" wide and 3" deep and recessed into the deck, want salt water stand on one side, fresh the other.

The boat I have now has a pressure water system and no sea water to the galley and I am very conscious of the amount of water I waste and am considering replicating the system I had on the old boat but having a two way switch in addition to the foot switch on the fresh water system so that I can run it in both pressurised, with the faucet normally closed, or, foot switch operated with it open. It's really handy to be able to keep both hands free in the galley.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 21:16   #11

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

We've got both. Keeps the wife happy. No leak issues even with the original water circuit, which I've since upgraded. Went to pains to keep the noise level down which worked for the most part and also have an accumulator stashed somewhere that I'll add in to the circuit to minimise pulsing when running when I get a "round tuit".
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 21:22   #12

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

The good thing about pressure water is that you don't have to move your foot up and down. Maybe I'm a bit thick, entirely possible, but I can't think of any other compelling reasons to have it.
And for a pressure shower I use this. If you haven't tried it, it ain't bad! I heat up a teapot of water, mix it with the cool for the right temp, works great. Ridiculously cheap too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2019-01-18 at 9.27.16 PM.png
Views:	145
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	184092  
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 21:24   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

I have had both on the islander it was a rocket hand pump faucet . On the Spencer I had both pressure and foot pump fresh and hand pump seawater. On the defender I have pressure only . Made little difference to me honestly the pressure is a lot more convenient for filling the coffee pot and cooking pots. I have always lived a minimalist life so no difference in usages. I turn the pump off when I don't need it.
Old 18-01-2019, 21:27   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
The good thing about pressure water is that you don't have to move your foot up and down. Maybe I'm a bit thick, entirely possible, but I can't think of any other compelling reasons to have it.
Can you rub your belly and tap your head at the same time ?
Old 18-01-2019, 21:31   #15
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Love it, few problems.

No one said you had to open the tap all the way. It makes good water filtration much easier. Yes, I like hot showers, on occasion. The transom shower is a blessing. And it certainly increased the resale value of the boat.

I have had both (2 each), and for me, above about 25 feet, it's very nice. One of the things that makes it more like home and less like camping out, sitting on a rock.

No, we won't all agree.

Tags
water