Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2019, 14:01   #76
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Power draw of Nespresso type coffee machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Looks like the nano also comes in yellow, is that so you can pack one in the grab bag
now that is a good use for a manual espresso machine
Others can't survive without me having my coffee.:-):-)
Old 04-10-2019, 14:05   #77
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanton View Post
Ben I cannot believe that I am reading this post. Electric coffee maker on a yacht? I love my cappuccinos but I love my sailing life better, so I take a normal on stove espresso maker and stir the milk in with a spoon. If you like the milk froth you can either use a spoon and stir the warm milk vigorously until it froths or you can purchase a battery operated milk frother. : I can only assume that you are not on your boat to get away from the hassles of modern life. Because worrying about making a coffee with an electric coffee maker is certainly not thinking about keeping it simple. Mate you got to get a life and keep it simple.
you do realise two things 1) major difference between a 22 ft boat and a 40+ boat.
2) most of us talking about the nespresso or any other electric coffee maker are full time or at least a couple months at a time living on our boats. I am old enough to deserve to live not camp on my boat.
Old 04-10-2019, 14:17   #78

Location: Plaza Ignacio Antonio Liaño, Numero Dos -Primero Izquierda,Rota 11520 (CADIZ) SPAIN
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailing4Jesus

Throw the coffee overboard, pretend you are a limey and have yourself A Spot Of Tea. Anyway, Tea is better for your health. The queen is already 93 but it is said she adds gin to her tea.
Sailing4Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 14:20   #79
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing4Jesus View Post
Throw the coffee overboard, pretend you are a limey and have yourself A Spot Of Tea. Anyway, Tea is better for your health. The queen is already 93 but it is said she adds gin to her tea.
trust me its not the tea.

Just for info tea has tannic acid in it .

In a more pure form tannic acid is used in the tanning of leather.

In other words its a preservative.
Old 04-10-2019, 14:29   #80

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:

One does not exclude the other.

I love coffee, I love tea
I love the java jive and it loves me
Coffee and tea and the java and me
A cup, a cup, a cup, a cup, a cup, boy

I love java, sweet and hot
Whoops, Mr. Moto, I'm a coffee pot
Shoot me the pot now pour me a shot
A cup, a cup, a cup, a cup, a cup

Oh, slip me a slug from the wonderful mug
I'll cut a rug till I'm snug in a jug
A slice of onion and a raw one, draw one
Waiter, waiter, percolator

A cup, a cup, a cup, a cup, a cup

Oh, Boston beans, soy beans (Yeah!)
Green beans, cabbage and greens (Home cooking!)
I'm not keen for a bean
Unless that is a cheery, cheery bean, boy

Coffee and the tea and the java and me
A cup, a cup, a cup, a cup, a cup, yeah

I love java, sweet and hot
Whoops, Mr. Moto, I'm a coffee pot
Shoot me the pot now pour me a shot
A cup, a cup, a cup (Yeah!)

Oh, throw me that slug from the wonderful mug
And I'll cut a rug till I'm snug in the jug
Drop a nickel in a pot, Joe, takin' it slow
Waiter, waiter, percolator

A cup, a cup, a cup, a cup, boy

We drink so much tea on board my boat that we have an actual tea locker. Not surprising with so many English and Russian persons coming and going.

But that does not detract from the joy of coffee.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 14:34   #81

Location: Plaza Ignacio Antonio Liaño, Numero Dos -Primero Izquierda,Rota 11520 (CADIZ) SPAIN

I love coffee, I love tea, as both will make you go PP.
Old 04-10-2019, 16:11   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry107 View Post
The only negative point is that it is another item that needs disposing of ,and these require recycling.A teaspoon of coffee or that matter coffee beans is preferable to reduce the amount of waste items. Ok if you are just pottering around the coast.
Great point!
Sailing Savana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 16:15   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The alu capsules are eminently recyclable.

You just stamp them underfoot after you use them, and they take up almost no space.

I use them offshore and far from civilization. Used them all summer long on a trip to Greenland in fact. Waste storage is not an issue.

I'm not entirely sure but they might even be suitable for deep sixing under the Rules. Metal cans are ok to toss overboard (a suitable distance from shore); but i'm not quite sure about these since they are painted. I am too lazy to look it up, so don't toss mine overboard.
Those capsules have a plastic film so will take a lifetime+ to disappear in nature...like anything painted not to be tossed overboard if you want to take a sustainable and responsible approach.
Sailing Savana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 16:21   #84

I saw a sign in a coffee shop window the other day that read: Special Of The Day, Pay double for your first cup of coffee and get a second cup FREE. I wondered as I walked on by if anyone had taken them up on their Special Of The Day.
Old 04-10-2019, 16:24   #85

Boat: Mumby 48

No electrical power at all, but just a little gas to get an espresso plus frothy milk... has anyone tried these? Look up The Little Guy on YouTube... originally developed my the Italians, this one is a good bit of Aussie Engineering.
allatsea99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 16:35   #86

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by allatsea99 View Post
No electrical power at all, but just a little gas to get an espresso plus frothy milk... has anyone tried these? Look up The Little Guy on YouTube... originally developed my the Italians, this one is a good bit of Aussie Engineering.

I just did.

Hell’s Bells! You might have warned us about the price first.
Old 04-10-2019, 17:26   #87

Boat: 1990 Oyster 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
The beauty of the Nespresso type machines is the speed at which you can get things done on an angle. When single handing upwind I can hop down below and put a coffee on in 30 seconds, then go back down again a couple of minutes later and it’s done. No other way of making coffee is simpler if you’re making coffee for one and busy sailing at the same time.

Pod storage isn’t too bad — the boxes fit in very out of the way places and are waterproof so safe in the bilges. I built tracks in the galley to store forty or so on an otherwise useless space. And price wise buying in the right place and at the right time makes the pods half the price. Nz50c a cup is ok with me — sure beans and grinding are cheaper but not by much. I can’t be doing with all the faffing around in the morning for the sake of saving 10-20c.
For offshore this has been my direction for years... Convenient and safe.

I had a microwave and heart freedom 20 inverter on my 35 footer for the passage from Los Angeles to the marshal islands and the passage home. I was told I would never use it.

I found that small, quick hot meals in rough conditions made for a great double handed solution. Believe it or not, shelf stable meals like Dinty Moore Turkey and gravy are a real hit in rough weather at 2 in the morning! A frozen burrito is wonderful as is microwave popcorn.

I run a nespresso machine on the new boat off a 1200 watt victron inverter (24v in 120v out) on a 440ah golf cart battery bank (8 batteries is a 4s 2p configuration.

This inverter wont run a 1200 watt microwave but a 900 watt unit runs fine.

I find that the times I have been most worried cooking at sea in rough weather is with a pot of boiling water getting away from me. I avoid it if the weather is rough.

The upshot is I like espresso (which is not french press, or drip, or whatever) at sea, i like french press with deserts, i like drip for groups. I do all three, but when i want espresso that is what i want. (I know some consider coffee as purely an infusion device for caffeine, that's not my focus)

I find that determining if a device will run on the inverter I use a device called a 'kill-a-watt' and use the VA (volt amp) setting rather than watts. The inverter we call 1200 watts is actually 1200VA. For resistance devices VA and watts are the same, for other devices VA required can be much higher than watts. (Microwaves, computers, etc)

So answering the OP question, yes with a modern inverter it works fine. If buying am inverter for this application I would look for 1600 watts for some headroom and to be able to run a 1200 watt inverter
botanybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 18:29   #88

Boat: Careel 22 (long cabin)
Send a message via Skype™ to Wanton

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
you do realise two things 1) major difference between a 22 ft boat and a 40+ boat.
2) most of us talking about the nespresso or any other electric coffee maker are full time or at least a couple months at a time living on our boats. I am old enough to deserve to live not camp on my boat.
But of course there is a difference, I see it all the time as I am sailing as larger yachts are nicely tied to their marina jetties with brain coral growing on the boarding ladders. Yes I know the difference, that is why I sail my boat and keep things simple.
Wanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 21:05   #89

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
I saw a sign in a coffee shop window the other day that read: Special Of The Day, Pay double for your first cup of coffee and get a second cup FREE. I wondered as I walked on by if anyone had taken them up on their Special Of The Day.
I would have, just to show that I like their sense of humour.
Old 04-10-2019, 22:50   #90

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by botanybay View Post
For offshore this has been my direction for years... Convenient and safe.

I had a microwave and heart freedom 20 inverter on my 35 footer for the passage from Los Angeles to the marshal islands and the passage home. I was told I would never use it.

I found that small, quick hot meals in rough conditions made for a great double handed solution. Believe it or not, shelf stable meals like Dinty Moore Turkey and gravy are a real hit in rough weather at 2 in the morning! A frozen burrito is wonderful as is microwave popcorn.
Absolutely. I run a 1600W Victron inverter, which happily runs my 1200w microwave (requires 1500w). At night in really foul weather a big tin of chunky stew poured into two bowls and dinged for two minutes with a big hunk of bread is a lifesaver. Boiling water is a no-no in a heavy sea, and it’s rare to find a crew who’s happy to cook in those conditions. Even for tea, I put a teabag in an insulated cup with a firmly fitting sipper top, fill with water and microwave for 90 seconds. Quicker than any kettle, and no risk of scalding.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote