Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2019, 21:46   #16

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Power draw of Nespresso type coffee machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl.NZ View Post
I am also looking at tackling this issue. The inverter is a Victron MultiPlus 2kva.

Batteries is GEL (4x6v in series-parallel) with 360/C20 - will this handle the voltage drop?

Also flat white is popular here, so I think the draw is 2 part - heat water then heat and froth the milk.
Umm.... can't you just answer the question by plugging in an equivalent load and seeing what happens? A vacuum cleaner maybe? A small toaster?

Edit: The frothers are easy, most only draw around 400 watts.
Old 28-09-2019, 22:18   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
I draw about 100 amps for 15 minutes around noon every few days at anchor in the summertime to make hot water.

My single 200 aH LiFep04 bank goes from 13.2 down to 12.6 near the end of the run while still delivering 100 amps.
After dropping the load, the voltage returns to around 13 and solar fills them back up by the end of the day.
Some people love their compost toilets, I love my lithiums!
that idea is why I like both on my boat/ home.
Old 28-09-2019, 22:26   #18

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Umm.... can't you just answer the question by plugging in an equivalent load and seeing what happens? A vacuum cleaner maybe? A small toaster?

Edit: The frothers are easy, most only draw around 400 watts.
Good to know about the frothers. Even if I had a equivalent load, I would still be wondering about the possible difference in startup draw.

And the inverter installation is still a work in progress.
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 22:37   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl.NZ View Post
Good to know about the frothers. Even if I had a equivalent load, I would still be wondering about the possible difference in startup draw.
With thermoblock machines that have no hot water tank, at least part of the equation is dictated by the physics of "making a good coffee".

There is a required rate of flow to ensure the correct brewing time, and that water has to be heated to the correct temperature at that flow rate. In practice, this means 1200 watts is going to be about the lowest running draw you can find.

As for startup, it is likely to be fractionally higher for a short period of time (a few seconds) while the heater element heats up and thus increases in resistance. In practice, I am betting this is a pretty minor variation, maybe 10% more at startup.

Once warm, I find mine cycles on and off two or three times a minute, with the on phase lasting less than ten seconds each time.
Old 29-09-2019, 08:23   #20

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
I have one of these, and hit an unexpected problem that you may or may not also experience.

My original battery bank was quite small, just 210 AH from a pair of 12 volt decent quality FLA batteries. My inverter was rated at 2000 watts, so I figured the 1300 watts draw of the pod machine would not be a problem.

What I had not considered was the voltage drop on the batteries from the load. The batteries were perfectly healthy, but hitting each battery with a 50+ amp draw led to massive voltage drop, even when fully charged. This in turn freaked out the inverter which would shut down after a few seconds of alarm to protect the batteries. So even though I only required a tiny fraction of the stored energy in the battery bank, I could not access it at a high enough rate.

So unless you have at least four batteries to share the load (or batteries of a chemistry that does not experience such voltage drops under load) I suspect you will find you have a problem. I now have 6 batteries in parallel, and the pod machine works fine, but I still see a drop of around 0.7 volts on a full battery bank while making the coffee. This is with a load of a little under 20 amps from each battery.
We have somewhat similar experience. 2kw inverter and 1.3kw coffee machine. But way larger house bank (660ah)
When machine is being started the voltage drops for a second and battery monitor sounds an alarm. The inverter works on and all I do is silence the alarm. The battery voltage gets back to normal when the machine is in normal operating mode after the initial spike.
Old 29-09-2019, 08:25   #21

Boat: Rival Sailing Yacht 34ft

The only negative point is that it is another item that needs disposing of ,and these require recycling.A teaspoon of coffee or that matter coffee beans is preferable to reduce the amount of waste items. Ok if you are just pottering around the coast.
Terry107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 08:32   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
I have one of these, and hit an unexpected problem that you may or may not also experience.

My original battery bank was quite small, just 210 AH from a pair of 12 volt decent quality FLA batteries. My inverter was rated at 2000 watts, so I figured the 1300 watts draw of the pod machine would not be a problem.

What I had not considered was the voltage drop on the batteries from the load. The batteries were perfectly healthy, but hitting each battery with a 50+ amp draw led to massive voltage drop, even when fully charged. This in turn freaked out the inverter which would shut down after a few seconds of alarm to protect the batteries. So even though I only required a tiny fraction of the stored energy in the battery bank, I could not access it at a high enough rate.

So unless you have at least four batteries to share the load (or batteries of a chemistry that does not experience such voltage drops under load) I suspect you will find you have a problem. I now have 6 batteries in parallel, and the pod machine works fine, but I still see a drop of around 0.7 volts on a full battery bank while making the coffee. This is with a load of a little under 20 amps from each battery.

I'm all for LiFePo, but with a reasonable battery capacity, a Nespresso machine is no problem even with lead acid batteries.

They use very small amounts of power for seconds at a time at 1200 watts (or so).

I run mine all day long off lead batts with no problem.

Thread drift, but I have accidentally hit on some excellent pods -- Solimo Ristretto -- most delicious ones I've had in ages.

Nespresso is a very good solution for boat coffee.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 08:55   #23

Boat: Baba 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben373 View Post
A good morning which is always better with coffee of course. Thinking it may be simpler to use a small pod machine like Nespresso DeLonghi. The ones I have looked at are 1250 watts or so.

I have a 1200w inverter. Has anyone used a unit / brand with less power draw? I appreciate they don't draw power for long.

I also appreciate there are lots of other ways to make coffee but think this will be simpler for me with space limitations.
Starbucks Via packets. Zero electrical draw. You’ll never go back...
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 08:59   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry107 View Post
The only negative point is that it is another item that needs disposing of ,and these require recycling.A teaspoon of coffee or that matter coffee beans is preferable to reduce the amount of waste items. Ok if you are just pottering around the coast.

The alu capsules are eminently recyclable.

You just stamp them underfoot after you use them, and they take up almost no space.

I use them offshore and far from civilization. Used them all summer long on a trip to Greenland in fact. Waste storage is not an issue.

I'm not entirely sure but they might even be suitable for deep sixing under the Rules. Metal cans are ok to toss overboard (a suitable distance from shore); but i'm not quite sure about these since they are painted. I am too lazy to look it up, so don't toss mine overboard.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 09:29   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The alu capsules are eminently recyclable.

You just stamp them underfoot after you use them, and they take up almost no space.

I use them offshore and far from civilization. Used them all summer long on a trip to Greenland in fact. Waste storage is not an issue.

I'm not entirely sure but they might even be suitable for deep sixing under the Rules. Metal cans are ok to toss overboard (a suitable distance from shore); but i'm not quite sure about these since they are painted. I am too lazy to look it up, so don't toss mine overboard.
yes they appear to be at sea disposable ( they consist of aluminum and used coffee grounds ) exceptions are .
MARPOL Annex V places limits on ocean discharge of solid waste materials. Plastics may not be discharged into the sea at all. Paper (including cardboard), metal, and glass may not be discharged in Special Areas. Special Areas include the North Sea, the Mediterranean Sea, the Greater Caribbean (including the Gulf of Mexico), and other important areas
Old 29-09-2019, 09:48   #26
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Devil's advocate.

You just need to figure out how to boil water.

https://www.amazon.com/GSI-Outdoors-.../dp/B07B1S1G83

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Class.../dp/B072N3RF2B

Slightly smaller than a full 12-cup pot,

super sturdy unbreakable thermos, hot coffee for 2-3 hours.

Ideally paired with a hand grinder.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 10:26   #27

Boat: 44 Lagoon

my Hamilton Beach flex brew draws 1050watts
saucur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 10:34   #28

Boat: Passport 41

A lot of quality inverters are conservatively rated (for continuous), often with up to a minute at 150% load....

This one is a "mid range" in terms of cost but you can see the surge rating on the listing.
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 10:36   #29

Boat: Paceship Py 26 26.6

I boil water on my stove and use a plunger pot, great coffee in minutes
High Pointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 14:27   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I'm all for LiFePo, but with a reasonable battery capacity, a Nespresso machine is no problem even with lead acid batteries.

They use very small amounts of power for seconds at a time at 1200 watts (or so).

I run mine all day long off lead batts with no problem.

So how many batteries are you running in parallel, or in other words, how much current are you drawing from each when the machine is heating?