Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2019, 18:55   #121
Bailing as fast as I can.

Boat: Swanson 42
Re: Power draw of Nespresso type coffee machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post

I suppose that is why Tassie is routinely left off the Aussie maps
I remember Sadam's foreign minister, Muhammad Saeed al-Sahhaf, explaining to the press that they were going to give everyone a jolly good thrashing. I noted at the time that the map of the world on the wall behind him didn't have Tasmania on it.

I decided that if the guy turned out to be right, I'd move to Tassie because they'd never find me there.

Old 05-10-2019, 20:51   #122

Boat: Tasman 40' catamaran

really sorry to bring this thread back on track, but :

we have an elcheapo chinese 3000w/6000w PSW inverter (just i know, but let's stay on topic) that will NOT run our little nespresso. 700AH house never less than 95%

all that happens is the nespresso lights start sending morse code and the machine does not heat up. inverter does not alarm

now the inverter paperwork says "DO NOT USE WITH INDUCTION MOTORS" so i'm wondering if anyone knows if a nespresso has an induction motor ? maybe this is the problem ?

(although even if nespresso does have induction, i'm not sure if this is really a problem as the inverter happily runs our washing machine)

cheers,

chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 22:00   #123
Bailing as fast as I can.

Boat: Swanson 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
really sorry to bring this thread back on track, but :

we have an elcheapo chinese 3000w/6000w PSW inverter (just i know, but let's stay on topic) that will NOT run our little nespresso. 700AH house never less than 95%

all that happens is the nespresso lights start sending morse code and the machine does not heat up. inverter does not alarm

now the inverter paperwork says "DO NOT USE WITH INDUCTION MOTORS" so i'm wondering if anyone knows if a nespresso has an induction motor ? maybe this is the problem ?

(although even if nespresso does have induction, i'm not sure if this is really a problem as the inverter happily runs our washing machine)

cheers,
This sounds like classic modified sine wave inverter symptoms to me. Any chance of getting a CRO on it to see what the wave form looks like?

Given that I have seen PWM solar controllers sold as MPPT controllers on Ebay, I take any claim by a no-name manufacturer with an artery hardening amount of salt.
Old 05-10-2019, 23:38   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
I've never used one but your question got me interested enough to track this down:
https://nowpresso.com/pages/tech-specs

It is rechargeable and draws only 56 watts at 12 volts, so that would be 4 2/3 Amps. Charges in 2.5 hours and will make 3 cups on a charge, so if it is just you drinking coffee that probably is OK. Interestingly it also lets you heat the water externally so if you boiled water and started with a thermos of hot water you could make all the coffee you would need for a crowd without recharging.
This is worth a look being rechargeable ac and usb. Would be perfect for a live aboard couple on passage.

iEMH is offline   Reply With Quote