Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2019, 22:19   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Power draw of Nespresso type coffee machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Sorry, I wasn't very clear, what I meant was that my favourite bean roaster does not yet put their coffee in aluminium pods. It's a pity, because I tried their pods and I really liked the taste, just not enough to justify the waste.

Without meaning to start a bean-war, , I find the Nespresso pods are a long way from the best flavours out there.
Its not about starting a bean war. Im not a lover of nespresso for a lot of reasons.

This leaves it for dead.

https://www.homegrounds.co/clever-dripper-review/
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 22:58   #47

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Agreed about the coffee part, I drink 2 pots a day (and most on here can tell)...

But pod machines on a sailboat... I'm no greenie but they are hugely wasteful of earth resources, as well as trash space, storage space, and countertop space. Love our french press and simple 900w elec kettle. The press is good for coffee or tea, and the kettle for also instant soup, etc. Also. Arguably the best morning cuppa comes out of a french press properly used
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 23:28   #48

I have run a nespresso off two golf cart batteries and 2kw PSW inverter. If batteries are topped up from solar, no problem. If batteries are somewhat depleted, have had issues with voltage drop and inverter shutting down. Unfortunately, latter is often the case first thing in morning.

Due to concerns of procuring, storing, and recycling capsules, have gone to an Aeropress for single serve coffee. Similar in concept to French Press, but small and clean up is much easier and uses much less water. $30 from Amazon. Invented by guy who invented the Frisbee. Great for the line watch sander at 3 AM

https://youtu.be/tRIX9G7D_9Q
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 23:37   #49

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Have you tried the reusable pods you can fill yourself with your choice of bean? I haven't myself but it might be a good compromise for convenience but keeping your choice of coffee.
What a good idea. I didn't know about those, I shall look and see.

That could be the perfect solution for me. I have a full blown expresso machine, but the pods are so darn convenient when under way solo, taking only seconds to make a coffee. This way I may be able to use the same beans for both.
Old 30-09-2019, 00:11   #50

Pods are much better for climate change than other methods.

1. They use less coffee. The harvesting, shipping 1000’s of miles, and roasting of a pound of coffee emits about 5 pounds of CO2. Drip and French press coffee requires more coffee per cup than a pod and there’s often part of a pot thrown out.

2. Heating the water in a Nespresso for one cup of coffee at a time uses far less energy than boiling a larger quantity of water in an electric kettle - if that energy comes from a genset, shore power cable, alternator or propane.

While it’s good to recycle the pods, the amount of waste in the pods is insignificant compared to the climate advantage of using less coffee and less carbon fuel heated hot water.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 00:29   #51

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Pods are much better for climate change than other methods.

1. They use less coffee. The harvesting, shipping 1000’s of miles, and roasting of a pound of coffee emits about 5 pounds of CO2. Drip and French press coffee requires more coffee per cup than a pod and there’s often part of a pot thrown out.

2. Heating the water in a Nespresso for one cup of coffee at a time uses far less energy than boiling a larger quantity of water in an electric kettle - if that energy comes from a genset, shore power cable, alternator or propane.

While it’s good to recycle the pods, the amount of waste in the pods is insignificant compared to the climate advantage of using less coffee and less carbon fuel heated hot water.
I can't possibly want to get into a climate change debate, but even the inventor of the things regrets it. Amount of kcups used a year could circle the earth 12 times. They are fully recyclable, but only if you separate the metal, plastic, and organic components individually, so about 99% end up in landfills, and the type of plastic can only be recycled in a handful of cities. Increased use of plastic in general. Gotta store them in trash at sea. The machines are single-purpose, which is kinda no good on a sailboat or in general. Believe me, there is no waste from our french press...any leftovers go into a thermos for the next day. And yes, the kettle runs off solar no worries.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...roblem/386501/
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 00:38   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I use:

and biodegradable filters.

The thermal kettle stays hot for a long time, switches on to reboil as required.

Low power consumption and hot water all the time.
Old 30-09-2019, 00:52   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Let's not forget that Nespresso does not give a full measure of coffee. Only 5 grams per cup. I prefer 8 or 9.

Lets not forget its expensive. Lets not forget that the coffee may not be fresh.

Carry on chaps.
Old 30-09-2019, 01:58   #54

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

I have tried it in our RV, 2000W/4000W peek chinese no name pure sine wave inverter and 2 AGM 100Ah board batteries, worked well, draft about 100A (50A per battery), batteries were most of the time at 80...100% SOC by solar panels on the roof. Main reason for the inverter was the desire of the admiral to use her hair dryer while travelling... ;-)

On the boat we use a small real espresso automatic machine with beens (Saeco Incanto), that get grinded, pressed and then boiled with pressurized hot water and removable interior for easy cleaning. Also only bio waste of the coffee powder, no capsules, no paper filters...Now on lithium.

We dont like the nespresso capsules, too expensive, too much waste. There are permanent refillable ones, but you still need grinded coffee beans or an extra grinder. The automat is soo much better. We use the stand alone milk frother from nespresso, less mess than frothing with steam and better results.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:44   #55

Boat: Garcia Passoa 47

How in the h!@# can you consider one of these inventions of the devil on a cruising boat?
The coffee is crazy expensive (3 times the price of buying beans or ground coffee)
The machine make garbage that you will have to store (or do you just chuck your trash overboard?)
You presumably do not have a very big boat, given the small inverter, so consider the storage issue for the pods.
nmccubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:53   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmccubbin View Post
How in the h!@# can you consider one of these inventions of the devil on a cruising boat?
The coffee is crazy expensive (3 times the price of buying beans or ground coffee)
The machine make garbage that you will have to store (or do you just chuck your trash overboard?)
You presumably do not have a very big boat, given the small inverter, so consider the storage issue for the pods.

The cost is quite a bit less than 3x when you consider the waste (0% in case of Nespresso), and if you buy non-Nespresso pods. In fact I think the cost works out about similar.

The used pods are microscopic -- less than 1 gram of alu in each. Just stamp them flat and you can store a year's worth on board without an issue, then take them to recycling when you have a chance.

The pods for use are somewhat more bulky than plain coffee, probably, but I've never had a problem finding storage space for them.

YMMV, but I love my Nespresso machine.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:04   #57

Boat: 1998 Gozzard 36

I have a Nespresso "Essenza mini" in my boat with a 2000 watt xantrex inverter, tru sine wave.

It did not work at all with the old modified sine wave inverter, hence I had to get a new inverter.
markskaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:22   #58

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

First world problems oh my how and why is this been discussed , what ever happened to the good old kettle and tin Cup our forefathers used .
Dont come to my boat youll get piss water coffee and earl grey from the Wife
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:33   #59

I have a HEART interface with XANTREX inverter - unfortunately don’t recall the model but it’s not small! and a large battery bank 450AH and cannot run a Nespresso on it.
Schapera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:23   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It would be a mistake to compare pod coffee manufacture with other methods of making coffee.

Does it contain "real" coffee in the pod? Yes, it does. I'm not a fan of the taste because to me is a little weak, and I'm not a fan of the pricing structure.

However, the Nespresso is selling well and people seem happy to pay the cost.

Its not for me to dissuade others from using or enjoying if their palate takes them in the Nespresso direction. It just seems a better deal to purchase beans of your choice