Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 10:45   #1

Potter 15 Help Needed

After all the drama of setting up the Honda S2000 to tow my new (to me) Potter 15, I now have to figure out how to rig it. The seller gave me 10 minutes walk thru, seemed impossibly complicated.

I finally managed to tow the boat to a lake in Nothern California, executed my first boat launch, and was able to motor around the lake sans sails and dock relatively competently. At this point, I am not sure how to get the rigging part. The West Wight Potter "manual" might be useful to seasoned sailors, but nearly useless for a beginner.

So I guess the question is whether the rigging is standard enough on a Potter so that taking lessons on another boat will be adequate. Either that, or does anyone know of a Potter owner in Northern California that I could hire to take me through the process for an hour or two until I get it?
Sfkjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:59   #2
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Potter 15 help needed

They look about as simple to rig as they get - so should not need any specific West Wight Potter 15 guidance. Maybe hang around a local dinghy park / launching ramp and watch what other folks do? Or have a look through Youtube, likely folks have shot some Vid of trailer boats being rigged on a slipway.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 17:50   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I live in Utah most of the time, sometime in Oregon and Washington. For the price of a ticket there and back, and putting me up for a day, I would be able to rig you boat for you and then you do it enough times that you could do it in your sleep. But personally I would wait for an offer closer to home
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 18:04   #4

As the old gentleman from Jersey - sorry the gentleman from Old Jersey has mentioned, trailer-sailors are easy to rig and not alot of difference between different makes.

First trick - rig while on the trailer, not on the water. Much easier.

On our 19' boat, we move the mast aft til the mast base slots into the tabernacle bolt, connect the sidestays, and raise the mast (me on then boat lifting from the cockpit, and my wife pulling on the jib halyard which has been run through the bow roller), and then yank down on the jib halyard enough so that we can connect the base of the forestay to the bow.

I'm certain there must be many WWP owners on the Wet Coast, so you should be able to find someone to show you the ins and outs of your new toy. Here's a start.

If WWP owners are like us Sandpiper owners, you won't be able to shut them up once they start talking about their boats.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 18:52   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

If you google "video rigging west wight potter 19" you get dozens of hits, mostly on youtube.

Here's a few. The first two seem quite detailed. Parts I and II.

skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 20:23   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Please read the instruction manual and then ask questions here about what it says that you don't understand.
I rig and unrig a WWP 19 all the time and can help you with any explanations.
It's always easier with two people. Is there someone else there that can help?
kind regards,
Old 04-08-2013, 20:31   #7

"Please read the instruction manual and then ask questions here about what it says that you don't understand."

No, I am not going to learn how to set this boat up with question/answer on a web forum. The manual is written for sailors, not beginners. I need to see how the boat is rigged. Thanks tho!
Old 04-08-2013, 20:41   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Potter 15 help needed

FFS... its 4 wires... a short one at the front.. a short one on the left side and a short one on the right side and the long one goes to the back...
Which bit don't you understand... did you give up camping coz tents were difficult...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 21:47   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
FFS... its 4 wires... a short one at the front.. a short one on the left side and a short one on the right side and the long one goes to the back...
Which bit don't you understand... did you give up camping coz tents were difficult...
Really, 4 "wires"? I have the mast up and I don't recall a "wire" going to the back of the boat. Maybe you need a little more tent raising time. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2013, 21:58   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfkjeld View Post
Really, 4 "wires"? I have the mast up and I don't recall a "wire" going to the back of the boat. Maybe you need a little more tent raising time. Thanks.
What... no back stay...
Buga me... I looked at the 19..
So its even easier.... LMAO... it is good brandy

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:39   #11

Drunken posters untie!
Old 05-08-2013, 07:52   #12

Boat: Seaward 22

SFK - A little civility goes a long way. Boatman was trying to help and he was giving you advice on a typical boat. Most have backstays. WWP15 apparentlly does not. Here's your picture of how the boat is set up.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:07   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
SFK - A little civility goes a long way. Boatman was trying to help and he was giving you advice on a typical boat. Most have backstays. WWP15 apparentlly does not. Here's your picture of how the boat is set up.
Thanks for the defence mate...
But I was wobbling and hit the wrong box...
Only boats I've ever owned without backstays have been Wharram cats... but that's no excuse..

Old 05-08-2013, 08:31   #14

I have been on many forums back to the BBS days, mostly cars and guitars. Beginners are generally encouraged and other posters tend to be more than generous. Occasionally, there are snarky comments, like one comparing rigging to tent raising. Was that helpful? Yes, civility goes a long way.

I have the mast up, easy. But my boat has the single handling package with extra lines and cletes and blocks all over, most of which are no longer rigged. The boom vang is a mess. It is impossible to know where the lines are supposed to go without detailed photos.

In any case, I suspect this forum is too general to be helpful in this regard. I love the pic of the potter on the beach and the kid in the foreground. It is why I bought this boat. But as for helping me direct all the lines in the cockpit? Not helpful.

Thanks tho!
Old 05-08-2013, 08:49   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfkjeld View Post
I have been on many forums back to the BBS days, mostly cars and guitars. Beginners are generally encouraged and other posters tend to be more than generous. Occasionally, there are snarky comments, like one comparing rigging to tent raising. Was that helpful? Yes, civility goes a long way.

I have the mast up, easy. But my boat has the single handling package with extra lines and cletes and blocks all over, most of which are no longer rigged. The boom vang is a mess. It is impossible to know where the lines are supposed to go without detailed photos.

In any case, I suspect this forum is too general to be helpful in this regard. I love the pic of the potter on the beach and the kid in the foreground. It is why I bought this boat. But as for helping me direct all the lines in the cockpit? Not helpful.

Thanks tho!
My apologies Sir... being a bit pickled I thought you were referring to 'standing rigging' (see OP)... not running rigging... totally different ball park.
So I'll de-Snark and leave you to find this place... its a lot less general... International Marine's West Wight Potter Owner's Home Port, Potter Sailboats, Sailboats
Enjoy the boat..