Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2016, 08:07   #1

Boat: TBD
Post Military Retirement Question

Admittedly I'm doing a little daydreaming today while we're in a slow time at work. I've had some time off recently and it's been tough getting back into the swing of things so I thought I'd ask a question that has been in the back of my mind for a while.

How difficult is it to break into the "sailing industry"? I realize this is a bit of a general as well as naive question. I have roughly 8 years to go before I can retire from the military at which point I should have a pension somewhere between $2500 and 3000 per month as well as other funds. Right now I don't have much experience sailing although I was in the Navy for 4 years and have always missed being around water and boats. I plan on doing quite a bit of sailing over the course of these 8 years.

Is it difficult to get into yacht sales and/or delivery?

Are there good part time opportunities out there?

My background is in IT, database, and web/computer programming. I also have a degree in electrical engineering.

I know this is general but any advice would be appreciated.
m2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:20   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Post Military Retirement Question

As a Military Retiree I don't think prior service means much at all, except we do have an income to fall back on, but we are starting out 20 yrs later than others too.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:19   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Sales will take a lot of built up knowledge. I'd chat with the marine electronics shops, as modern electronics are getting more complex and network oriented. For example, the last boat I delivered had a full Garmin network AND Mercruiser engine electronics, and getting those to systems to talk to each other was a real challenge. Many times, you have to take the boat out to troubleshoot the problems.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 01:35   #4

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

I retired from the USN in 1997 and found myself living in Egypt on an 8-week contract teaching the Egyptian Navy on former USN ships as a subcontractor under the US Aid program. Turned into nearly 10 years and was VERY lucrative. In reality, I was doing more repair than training (one can't effectively train on broken equipment). My background is mainly electrical/electronic (NAV and weapon control systems). That contract ended just over 9 years ago and I am still in Egypt working in the private yacht repair sector (NOT as lucrative and I don't recommend it here in Egypt...but it pays the bills). Over the years I have had to add new skillsets to my toolbox. Welding, metal fabrication, piping systems, etc., in addition to my electrical/electronic skills. I also have done package development and documentation for new-builds.

To answer OP's questions.....I've done a few deliveries and I would not rely on that as a sole source of income until you become VERY well establiished in the yachting circle of delivery crews. Yacht sales? I'll be honest here....I know nothing about it. However, the old saying that the only things guaranteed are death and taxes? Add boat repair to that. Boats and yachts will always need repair....guaranteed. The money isnt always great but as long as there are boats floating in the water, there is employment out there somewhere.

Tags
men, retirement