Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2019, 14:12   #16

Re: Portugal Sailors (Iberian Peninsula)

If u have time to just put along ..is it feasible to just float and drift in one of these? or a small outboard? looks apocalypse proof!

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/comm...fe-boat/621593

a little joke but who knows fun stufff happen

Larry Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 14:17   #17
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Portugal Sailors (Iberian Peninsula)

Perfect for viewing the surfers..

Born To Be Wild.. Click on the picture.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 14:24   #18

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

... even "made in Germany" :-)
Franziska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2019, 07:46   #19

Hi Larry,

Im based in the UK but originally from central/coastal Portugal.

Im also searching for a boat here in the UK and a Westerly is definitely a big contender.

I will be curious to see what outcome waits you. Good luck!

Bruno
Old 21-11-2019, 10:40   #20

Hey Bruno Hows it going?
What a great offer much appreciated! I looked at the prices for the ferry and thought if I could sail a boat back that would be better. How are your skills? Think you could sail that Pedro Back to Nazare? If I flew in it would be much cheaper then we sail here I fly you back... I have been thinking of making a post asking this very question. We would eat well and stop at least to anchor and enjoy the trip! I heard of an island by France that used to be a pirate hold now its a kinda a spot to stop especially by rogue boat.

I have been looking in to all options I just found a small outboard that looks interesting. very close to me and would be a way for me to start building inventory.

https://www.olx.pt/anuncio/motor-evi...tml#f2457814b3

My thoughts were try and put a trailer & motor together so I could expand the search. Look at boats with good sails and kept up nice. then just drive and pick it up.
And then if I picked the boat first would be better so I do not buy a trailer that is useless.
That got me to where I was starting to look at UK boats again. Sail one down here. After I buy I could then get a trailer more suited.

If anyone has opinions on this little outboard I would appreciate it. Seems like it is something older that is able to be maintained but my novice leaves me less brainy on it. I go for things that can easily get repaired by me.
Thoughts?
Old 21-11-2019, 12:06   #21

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you are thinking of sailing something down then forget the Pedro.. something like a Hurley 22 or Corribee 21 with bilge keels would be more appropriate.
The Hurleys are the better option as they have an outboard well as opposed to hanging on a bracket off the transom.

https://m.apolloduck.com/boat/hurley-22/622756

https://m.apolloduck.com/boat/newbridge-corribee/610881

Old 21-11-2019, 13:16   #22

I am considering all options, Thanks for the links your knoweldge helps alot!!

I checked the links, the hurley 22 and the corribee listed they are nice. The Hurley I am a bit familiar with. when I start looking at the journey route it leads me back to looking at a few of the westerlys some get higher in price but how does this one compare in capabilities, the price is similar

https://m.apolloduck.com/boat/westerly-pageant/529909
Old 21-11-2019, 13:21   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
... even "made in Germany" :-)

Hi Franziska! You are in Germany eh? I saw a few boats last year online I am starting to check again. what local sites might help me see some boats up there? Is there a few better spots for looking? still have not been there looking forward to getting there, one day soon!

Thanks
Old 21-11-2019, 13:35   #24

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

The Pagent will give you more headroom, a separate toilet and more space, also an inboard engine.
The Hurley has the toilet located between the V berth in the bow and just sitting headroom.k. however in my opinion it is the better sailer, also an outboard is cheaper to replace/maintain..
Pluses and minuses..

Old 21-11-2019, 13:44   #25

Ok bare with me here...
I am using this an example for when I show up at a marina and they show me some boat I am unfamiliar with

Since Boatman61 mentioned the Corribee I remembered seeing the name on my searches. This boat is super cheap. I did not even look too much but if I saw this on a marina lot, what would be the reason it is so cheap? On a quick look it needs work tlc/elbow grease/love/money, but is is a diamond in the rough or someones :get rid of that crap, not worth it"?

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/newb...corribee/72176

I liked it becuase one of first dogs was named Tara...although she did get hit by a car... so I was like geez, bad omen... but can anyone pick at this one give me some pointers about how to citique it...

obviously I will ask if it has new Johnson rods and I will need to check the flux capacitors but after that?
Old 21-11-2019, 14:22   #26

Boat: Gemini 3200

Before you set your mind as to what kind of boat you want I suggest you look on YouTube at the videos on dinghy cruising by Roger Barnes. He seems to get a much higher fun/price ratio than most of us. The boats are in your size and price range. Operating costs are much lower than on bigger boats. Here's a pointer to one of his videos:

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2019, 14:50   #27

i try not to watch the sailing videos online, this video is what I grew up doing. I like it and it is serious fun! my search is for a loved boat that is being passed on because the soul must go on, Not because they are looking to get their money back. I see those everywhere. Its not so easy online. should be but its not.

I will check out more of the videos see what species he is creating.

I am a fan of Red Green, you know him? Very smart guy knows his....stuff

Old 26-11-2019, 09:37   #28

So has been a great week other than all the rain!!! brings the big waves so that is good!
Any sun we received I decided to check some other marina areas close to me.

Right now I am fishing in the Nazare Marina area so have looked there. Nothing special or at least I have not seen it yet. small marina but there are some boats more big and not of interest. I am looking for a small sailboat first.

Drove to Peniche via Foz do Arehlo(by Obidos lagoon) nice drive! It is one of my go to Weekend routes just normally do not go all the way to Peniche.

In Peniche there are some to revisit but like Nazare more motor types fishing cruising style.

We drove up to Figuera da Foz staying by the coast on the Estrada Atlantico. Coming through Veira de Leiria and Sao Pedro do Moel I see more people with boats in their yards so that is definitely encouraging

Figuera da Foz is quite big so it will have a few trips there again to scout.

I will have to get up to Aveiro I have some friends there they say its a good spot to check. They do not go out but see things for sale on the roads. Aveiro is a good port and boating area. The Venice of Portugal without the current flood of course!

For Christmas going over to see Family in Ireland so when there we are going to check out the Westerly Nimrod and the other boats that are at whitestar in NIreland.

My Family place is in Co Louth(Drogheda) Farm is near Clougherhead. So it is only an hour and a bit to see the Whitestar boats.

Hoping for the best 4 when we are there. Not going to jump into something but it will be good to start talking or scratch it off the list.

If things are optimal I can always park a boat at the Family Farm until I can come and get it. Still not going to rush it. My neighbor in Ireland is going to come help me check things out.

since it is new for me to look at a purchase I am still novice any pointers would be appreciated!

I Know the basics but experience always is core to understanding . you know what I mean. My guess is it will be something in my travel to Portugal/transfer that I will overlook. so I am researching that now. The other would be Sails and things that may be tucked away when viewing. Excitement leaves gaps in questions.

I am going to make an easy list for when I am there because if all is good I could see making an offer. again no rush but I am preparing myself for negotiating.lol

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Old 02-12-2019, 11:54   #29

Boat: Westerly Conway 36

If you go to Aveiro, there is a small marina close to Ovar(4051'40.4"N 839'28.7"W), with several small sailboats. I don't know if any are for sale, but they should all fit your size requirements, because there is a bridge between the marina and Aveiro that prevents anything tall getting up Aveiro lagoon.
I arrived in Portugal by boat, and never left - bought a house, still working on making it habitable.
Replying in secret - not allowed to be distracted by boats
maersi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:35   #30

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Miranda View Post
Ok bare with me here...
I am using this an example for when I show up at a marina and they show me some boat I am unfamiliar with

Since Boatman61 mentioned the Corribee I remembered seeing the name on my searches. This boat is super cheap. I did not even look too much but if I saw this on a marina lot, what would be the reason it is so cheap? On a quick look it needs work tlc/elbow grease/love/money, but is is a diamond in the rough or someones :get rid of that crap, not worth it"?

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/newb...corribee/72176

I liked it becuase one of first dogs was named Tara...although she did get hit by a car... so I was like geez, bad omen... but can anyone pick at this one give me some pointers about how to citique it...

obviously I will ask if it has new Johnson rods and I will need to check the flux capacitors but after that?
She has been on Apollo for years, if she was a goer I think she would have sold by now.. Or maybe not.

Tags
Portugal, sail