Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2018, 06:07   #61
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Re: Port Supply problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Thanks to Fstttms for this, it explains a lot.

If SV/illusion and Shrew, et al had posted these conditions, instead of just screaming “unethical, unethical!” I and others might have seen where they were coming from - and they were asked.

When I was offered this card from the broker I bought my boat through I took it as a good will gesture, with a chunk of guilt thrown in. But it seems he broke the rules.

On the other hand, evidently West Marine are perfectly aware that dealers allow their accounts to be used by people who are not actually employees, but they are lax in enforcing it—financial drops aforementioned. And by the way, it’s naive to expect a store employee to question a PS card which registers correctly. What’re they supposed to ask “are you an actual employee of this company, Sir?”

So who’s really at fault here? Me, who unknowingly accepted the card, the broker, or WM?

The irony of all this is, it’s easy to beat Port Supply prices if you shop around. Many suppliers offer free delivery and there is often no tax added either. Oh! how unethical, to accept goods without paying taxes!! Lock ‘em up, lock ‘em up!

Knowing this, would I now accept a Port Supply card, if offered? We have a saying in the old country, “never look a gift horse in the mouth.”

Just a couple of points.
WM is not lax about enforcing the PS rules but as you mentioned it’s hard to question a customer that has the required documentation.
No doubt the broker is to blame but now that you know the policy I’m surprised you would still take advantage of the system.
If it’s so easy to beat the PS prices why would you once again take advantage of the system?

Old 19-10-2018, 06:25   #62

Boat: Outremer 50S

WM/PS/WMPro could stop this behavior with one simple change - no cash payments at the register. If they insisted that all wholesale accounts operate on credit and all wholesale payments go through invoicing and payment by the wholesale customer - the way 90+% of the wholesale industry works - this would stop nearly all casual sharing of PS accounts.

I've seen PS use/abuse for a very long time, WM is at least somewhat complicit as they make it far too easy to casually add users, don't require purchase orders, and have zero checks and balances on the wholesale side.

Old 19-10-2018, 06:41   #63

Boat: Down East 45, Brigantine

If it’s so easy to beat the PS prices why would you once again take advantage of the system?

Oh! for goodness sake!
I’ve already explained the main reason for me wanting a Port Supply or West Marine Pro, (or whatever it’s now called) card.
Go back and read #9

Dsanuril is dead-on. But then WM would loose all the revenue from those nasty counter buyers wouldn’t they? And dealers would loose the elevation which the illegals may bring to their accounts. I wouldn’t use a card if I couldn’t use it at my local store.

Look; in the long run it’s all about one thing, on everyone’s part. MONEY!
It’s bugger-all to do with ethics or anything else, least of all the customer.
Old 19-10-2018, 06:44   #64
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
WM/PS/WMPro could stop this behavior with one simple change - no cash payments at the register. If they insisted that all wholesale accounts operate on credit and all wholesale payments go through invoicing and payment by the wholesale customer - the way 90+% of the wholesale industry works - this would stop nearly all casual sharing of PS accounts.

I've seen PS use/abuse for a very long time, WM is at least somewhat complicit as they make it far too easy to casually add users, don't require purchase orders, and have zero checks and balances on the wholesale side.

This is a good point. Only problem would be the cost of billing on WM side
Old 19-10-2018, 06:44   #65
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

They're still are a handful of us that put other things before money.
Old 19-10-2018, 06:45   #66
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post

Oh! for goodness sake!
I’ve already explained the main reason for me wanting a Port Supply or West Marine Pro, (or whatever it’s now called) card.
Go back and read #9

Dsanuril is dead-on. But then WM would loose all the revenue from those nasty counter buyers wouldn’t they? And dealers would loose the elevation which the illegals may bring to their accounts. I wouldn’t use a card if I couldn’t use it at my local store.

Look; in the long run it’s all about one thing, on everyone’s part. MONEY!
It’s bugger-all to do with ethics or anything else, least of all the customer.

Your view of ethics is tainted
Old 19-10-2018, 06:47   #67
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
They're still are a handful of us that put other things before money.

Yes, like integrity?
Old 19-10-2018, 06:57   #68

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

You can lead a horse to water...
Old 19-10-2018, 07:11   #69

Boat: Outremer 50S

You want to castigate the individual integrity and ethics here, but what about the corporate integrity/ethics of WM?

Is it ethical to charge at least three different prices for the exact same thing? The WM standard price, the Pro price (but bought at the counter with the service level and time requirement from an 'associate'), and the "we'll match any competitor" price. It would be one thing if Pro were true wholesale where you don't walk around on the floor, don't take the sales associate's time, have to have some minimum level of purchasing traffic (they may say you have to, but I can vouch that you don't really), etc. But it's not. WM is almost as bad as the airline industry, you have search, scratch, and time your purchase just to get a reasonable price.

WM's business model is to pretty much dare you to find a better price so you can negotiate them off their base price, is it any surprise then that PS/Pro attracts casual users when they can access it?
Old 19-10-2018, 19:32   #70

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I find it hard to see where this practice harms WM in any way, ethics or no.

On one hand,the "fraudulent" use of the Port card means they make a sale with a lower profit margin, but still a sale, still a profit.

Denying the use of that Port card means that the customer does some research and either purchases from another vendor or uses WM's price matching service. Either way, WM makes less money than if the Port card was honored.

I suspect that WM is completely aware of this relationship and is acting accordingly.

Personal ethics are hardly the issue here.

Jim