Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2018, 10:31   #31

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC
Re: Port Supply problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
And just to throw another wrench in my broken post. Someone asked what had happened to ethics in this day and age. Donald Trump, and his ethics devoid gang is what’s happened! Ethics start at the top and trickle down, and at the moment it’s a river.

The unethical crowd loves to use the “Yeah but he does it too” excuse.

And yes, I’ve turned down the offer of using a PS account for WM purchases from a broker friend. Some people do the right thing because it’s the right thing to do.
Old 17-10-2018, 10:47   #32

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
The unethical crowd loves to use the “Yeah but he does it too” excuse.

And yes, I’ve turned down the offer of using a PS account for WM purchases from a broker friend. Some people do the right thing because it’s the right thing to do.
Its sad to read someone blamimg his lack of ethics on someone else. Or justifies it based on political bias.

The PS use agreement is very specific as are the constraints on eligibility. This is the proverbial 'black and white' distinction yet here we are debating right and wrong among a bunch of people, some of whom can't see the difference. One even repeatedly asked for an explanation as though it will substitute for what parents are supposed to and should have taught him as a child.
Old 17-10-2018, 11:29   #33

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Nice rationalization... as if the magnitude of the cost is relevant.

Now, why don't you call PS on the phone and ask them if they consider it acceptable? I did and I'd bet you can guess their response.

My point was the magnitude of the cost is NOT relevant.

I don’t need to call them on the phone when I can walk right in and watch. What they do is more revealing than what they say. They used to check, then they stopped checking when their sales declined.
Old 17-10-2018, 11:35   #34
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
My point was the magnitude of the cost is NOT relevant.

I don’t need to call them on the phone when I can walk right in and watch. What they do is more revealing than what they say. They used to check, then they stopped checking when their sales declined.

I guess that depends on the store? Some are stricter than others.
Old 17-10-2018, 12:54   #35

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
How about putting him in touch with me.
Old 17-10-2018, 13:22   #36

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post

Lots of employees do things management is unaware of and wouldn’t approve of if they knew. If the employee knows that someone is technically ineligible for the PS discount, its called stealing. Since I’ve never used a PS discount, I don’t know the answer to this. Is there some type of sales tax “discount”, such as wholesalers receive?
Old 17-10-2018, 13:57   #37

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
How about putting him in touch with me.
I think most would have the common sense not to brag about it.
Old 17-10-2018, 14:51   #38

Boat: Custom 55

Good grief, you guys.

I enjoy the view from my high horse too, but the level of sanctimonious outrage here is pretty silly.

It's not like WM's getting ripped off by a retail customer using a PS card. I have one, and basically buy everything from Defender or Fisheries anyway, since they're cheaper to a guy off the street than PS is at WM.

So, if WM is overcharging their retail customers to the degree that their wholesale customers are still paying more than competitors are getting at retail, they're doing just fine on the margins, methinks.

Jolly Roger, how did those windgen blades work out that I sold you a few years back?
Old 17-10-2018, 15:37   #39

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

Jolly Roger, how did those windgen blades work out that I sold you a few years back?

Hi Bax,
They're just fine, but it's a pain to take them down off the main each hurricane season. They're off at the moment, but should be back by Christmas. Nice to hear from you.
Old 17-10-2018, 16:12   #40
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
Good grief, you guys.

I enjoy the view from my high horse too, but the level of sanctimonious outrage here is pretty silly.

It's not like WM's getting ripped off by a retail customer using a PS card. I have one, and basically buy everything from Defender or Fisheries anyway, since they're cheaper to a guy off the street than PS is at WM.

So, if WM is overcharging their retail customers to the degree that their wholesale customers are still paying more than competitors are getting at retail, they're doing just fine on the margins, methinks.

Actually in this case WM is getting ripped of by a retail customer using a PS card. The rules and regulations for the PS supply customers are pretty basic and if the PS price is high WM will also price match anyone locally or online.
Methinks you know nothing of what their margins are so better stick to what you do know.
Old 17-10-2018, 17:19   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Actually in this case WM is getting ripped of by a retail customer using a PS card. The rules and regulations for the PS supply customers are pretty basic and if the PS price is high WM will also price match anyone locally or online.
Methinks you know nothing of what their margins are so better stick to what you do know.

Not very nice, smj. It's not hard to figure out their margins, you know. They do employee pricing at x over cost, since there are plenty of cruisers working at WM, it's a pretty simple thing.

Anyway, no need to be personally rude.
Old 17-10-2018, 17:22   #42

Quote:

Hi Bax,
They're just fine, but it's a pain to take them down off the main each hurricane season. They're off at the moment, but should be back by Christmas. Nice to hear from you.

Hey, glad to hear it. I bought those new, balanced blades, and never installed the unit again. The noise and vibration bugged me too much, so I just chucked on some solar panels and called it good.

We sailed to Europe a couple years ago, and will be coming back this winter via the Caribbean. I wouldn't be surprised to book a spot in Canaveral again (it's one of the few places we don't need to worry about our draft in FL), maybe we'll meet again.

TJ
Old 17-10-2018, 17:45   #43
smj

Quote:
Not very nice, smj. It's not hard to figure out their margins, you know. They do employee pricing at x over cost, since there are plenty of cruisers working at WM, it's a pretty simple thing.

Anyway, no need to be personally rude.

My wife has worked at WM for 20'years and once again you don't have a clue what your talking about

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 17-10-2018, 18:41   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
My wife has worked at WM for 20'years and once again you don't have a clue what your talking about

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

But, I do. Have your wife buy a piece of line with her employee discount. Compare that to the retail price of the same. It's really quite simple. And, it can be a very big difference on some items.

Maybe try it with fasteners. That's typically the biggest mark-up.

If you're in the boating world, you probably know one or two WM employees. Lots of cruisers take part-time jobs while they're outfitting their boats, not for the pay, but to take advantage of the big employee discounts.

It's not hard to figure out the retail markup. The exact margin, no, but the employee discount is instructive.

Anyway, you're still being really seriously unfriendly here. "You don't have a clue", "You should stick to things you know something about" are seriously unmannerly ways to address someone, and I'm sure you wouldn't do it in person. Disrespect is not called for.

I'm out.
Old 17-10-2018, 19:34   #45
smj

Quote:
But, I do. Have your wife buy a piece of line with her employee discount. Compare that to the retail price of the same. It's really quite simple. And, it can be a very big difference on some items.

Maybe try it with fasteners. That's typically the biggest mark-up.

If you're in the boating world, you probably know one or two WM employees. Lots of cruisers take part-time jobs while they're outfitting their boats, not for the pay, but to take advantage of the big employee discounts.

It's not hard to figure out the retail markup. The exact margin, no, but the employee discount is instructive.

Anyway, you're still being really seriously unfriendly here. "You don't have a clue", "You should stick to things you know something about" are seriously unmannerly ways to address someone, and I'm sure you wouldn't do it in person. Disrespect is not called for.

I'm out.

You say I’m being unfriendly, I believe I’m being brutally honest.
You call myself and others sanctimonious for calling out your friends behavior as being unethical, so let me be brutally honest.
The more people that take advantage of West Marines PS discount unethically only means one thing, less profit for WM. The less profit WM makes the higher they have to raise their standard retail prices, the chances of WM employees getting a raise goes down and the greatest benefit of being a WM employee, the discount gets cut. This seriously pisses me of. That’s brutal honesty as it affects the lifestyle of myself and my wife. And by the way I would have no problem stating this to you in person[emoji1303].
And to let you know, our discount on fasteners is almost nil.
Closed Thread