Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2008, 15:16   #1
cruiser

PO'd at the PO!!

Ok,

My previous owner has acted out of MALICE, I think. Well, if not, he was not at all concerned for the well being of a fellow boater. Here is what I found today:

He changed the props that were eaten away, but when he did it, he only replaced one zinc. He claimed there were no others.

So when I go down to put a new zinc on, I notice the one he replaced DID NOT EVEN HAVE A SINGLE BOLT ON IT HOLDING IT ON! He just tossed it on the shaft and tightened the new prop down on it to hold it in place.

Next, I saw that a lot of zinc was gone for 2 mos in the water since survey. I took my meter to the problem and found 600mV between the prop cage and the saildrive on the starboard side. He INTENTIONALLY disconnected the bonding wire that goes from the prop cage to the saildrive off in the engine room. What is this guy thinking??

Next, he happily "changed the gear oil" for me in my leaky saildrive (so I wouldn't notice its milky color after we moved the boat for survey).

He did all of this stuff *AFTER* the survey... for what reason, I can't even begin to imagine. Had I known he was so evil, I might have hardballed him on the price of the boat. What a f'n JERK this guy was. I can't believe he set me up for major problems, when the fixes were minor and could have been done while it was on the slings for the survey.

Now I have a pretty big to do list to get all this stuff corrected. Luckily, I caught it in time. I may not have if I hadn't dried out to scrape some growth off and install that zinc.

Man, am I angry at this guy. I wasn't even mean in the buying process. I was very nice, didn't rake him over the coals and was quite understanding of all his idiodic modifications (like wiring the propane cutoff switch to the refrigerator... smart guy!). So when you turn of the fridge, you have no stove.

Ok, just needed to vent.

The guy who got my old boat got a DEAL. I didn't even rip him off or intentionally screw him after the survey was over.

Yet another example of me getting screwed over. Go figure. Man, do I suck at not getting ripped off.

I guess it's a real haulout now to do a bunch of stuff. Also, how the hell do you get a boat to have a perfectly clean bottom for showing, but then have growth completely encrust it in less than a month after?? I still can't figure out how they duped me into thinking it had a recent bottom job.

I guess I got a good boat, but they went out of their way to present it as having been maintained well. It wasn't. I have to make it all right now.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 15:30   #2
cruiser

And... if only the guy was honest with me, I could have done these fixes (probably $200 worth?) at the haulout rather than having risked damage to my saildrive with the non-secure zinc and had to pay for a haul out to do the bottom paint and seals on the other saildrive (leaky one).

I just hate that people are so dishonest and don't do things right.
I'm now in North Carolina.

Anyone know of a good place (reasonable price) to haul out between here and Jersey? It needs to be a do-it-yourself yard that will allow me to do my seals, paint the bottom, get those prop cages off and put the 4 screws into that zinc that didn't have any. Thanks for any info in advance.
Old 24-04-2008, 15:37   #3
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
And... if only the guy was honest with me, I could have done these fixes (probably $200 worth?) at the haulout rather than having risked damage to my saildrive with the non-secure zinc and had to pay for a haul out to do the bottom paint and seals on the other saildrive (leaky one).
Sean, the easy answer is that at the survey haul out it was still his boat. You could have backed out of the deal at any time. He was merely protecting the sale of the boat. I'm not defending him, this is strictly an observation.

I think the forum is filled with mischief caused by POs.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 16:23   #4

Boat: 44 footer
Hey Sean,

Where in North Carolina?

You can't go wrong with Bock Marine, North of Beaufort under the 101 bridge. Or with any of the guys in Oriental (more expensive than Bock) they all have helped me out at one time or another. Stay away from Jarret Bay (Broke down there and they wanted 400 bucks plus labor to install an impeller!) though in the same place is Core Creek, which I've heard good things.

If you end up in the Beaufort/Oriental area, there are two parts places worthy of mention. Barbours marine supply in Beaufort, and Ace Marine in Morehead City. Best parts house, and hardware stores I've ever come across. Knute at Whittaker creek knows Catamarans like no one I've met, and will be able to source anything odd.

Give me a shout if you get in a bind, I run back and forth darn near every weekend. (Just not this one... grin)

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 16:35   #5

Send a message via AIM to sluissa
I've noticed, Sean, that in Florida, or at least here in Pensacola, during the winter, the growth is minimal... but once the water around here has warmed up, Boom, it only takes 2-3 weeks for the bottom to be covered completely.
sluissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 17:11   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
...and was quite understanding of all his idiodic modifications (like wiring the propane cutoff switch to the refrigerator... smart guy!). So when you turn of the fridge, you have no stove...
First clue or tip of the iceberg?

Sorry about your troubles. Hope you find a spot to make the repairs.

Caveat Sailor when buying used boats...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 18:02   #7

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Not cool to booby-trap a boat after a survey. Sounds like the guy was more incompetent than evil, if that helps...
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 18:06   #8
cruiser

Thanks for the replies, guys. Sometimes, you just have to vent and the only people who can really understand are other boat people.

I know there is nothing I can do. I just have to haul out and fix. Hope chartering is good this summer, cuz I'm flat broke now.
Old 24-04-2008, 18:10   #9
cruiser

Great tips, Zach. Thank you sooo much. I will check out the places you suggest when I get up to Beaufort and/or Oriental. I need a place to basically get all these items done quickly and continue the delivery. Having a hardware store and maybe a West Marine nearby would be a welcome chance from what I've found in GA and SC. Beautiful country, but when you need to fix a boat... zippo. No chance.

Very excited to get up there. I only just crossed the border into NC, so I'm still a few days off, but I'll race there as fast as I can.

Again, thanks for a very helpful post. I'm very excited to get this stuff fixed up so I can sleep easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Hey Sean,

Where in North Carolina?

You can't go wrong with Bock Marine, North of Beaufort under the 101 bridge. Or with any of the guys in Oriental (more expensive than Bock) they all have helped me out at one time or another. Stay away from Jarret Bay (Broke down there and they wanted 400 bucks plus labor to install an impeller!) though in the same place is Core Creek, which I've heard good things.

If you end up in the Beaufort/Oriental area, there are two parts places worthy of mention. Barbours marine supply in Beaufort, and Ace Marine in Morehead City. Best parts house, and hardware stores I've ever come across. Knute at Whittaker creek knows Catamarans like no one I've met, and will be able to source anything odd.

Give me a shout if you get in a bind, I run back and forth darn near every weekend. (Just not this one... grin)

Zach
Old 24-04-2008, 18:22   #10

Sean...Jarrett Bay at mile 198 on the waterway is also very good and has everything you might need.
Jarrett Bay Boatworks: Service and Repair Facilities
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 19:16   #11

Boat: 44 footer
West Marine is in Morehead City off highway 70.
Call ahead and ask for Tammi, she's one of the most helpful folks around.

Don't miss Beauforts waterfront on the way up...

Oriental has a small west marine, but its a satellite store, call in advance to get it brought in from the warehouse. There is a little hardware store/outdoor provision company directly behind the town docks, which offer 48 hours of free dockage to transient cruisers. Oriental involves shopping for groceries at the gas station if you don't have a car, so load up before you get there.

TownDock.net | Oriental NC News: About TownDock.net
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 19:35   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Mccotters marina

Sully;

Mcotters marina is a great DIY yard. We have our boat there. The best part is that they ship's store actually stocks stuff, and is usually better priced than West Marine. Rates are fare too.

Not sure if you have past it yet in NC. It is in Washington, NC up the Pamlico River.

Quote:

I just hate that people are so dishonest and don't do things right.
I'm now in North Carolina.

Anyone know of a good place (reasonable price) to haul out between here and Jersey? It needs to be a do-it-yourself yard that will allow me to do my seals, paint the bottom, get those prop cages off and put the 4 screws into that zinc that didn't have any. Thanks for any info in advance.
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 20:20   #13

Boat: Sceptre 41
Sorry about your troubles Sean. Hope things get better.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 01:20   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan
My previous owner has acted out of MALICE, I think. ...
... all his idiodic modifications (like wiring the propane cutoff switch to the refrigerator... smart guy!). So when you turn of the fridge, you have no stove ...
Seems like it may have been more ignorance & stupidity (not uncommon conditions), than intentional malice.
Don't dwell on it - you'll just drive yourself crazy.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 05:11   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Seems like it may have been more ignorance & stupidity (not uncommon conditions), than intentional malice.
Don't dwell on it - you'll just drive yourself crazy.
Thanks, Gord. Agreed. I just have to get it all fixed and working properly.

I imagine the guy was just kind of a "do it half-way and it'll be fine" kind of guy. Oddly, even though he put no bolts on the zinc, he managed to put some anti-lock on the threads of the bolt that holds the prop on, as well as on the prop. Go figure.

Mostly, I wanted to drop this into the "worst things the PO did" thread, but didn't find it and was exhausted last night.