Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2016, 06:31   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 13
Plenty of sailing from North America to South Pacific, but reverse?

I am an interested crew looking for passage from Asia/Oz to the americas and one thing I noticed in the ads is the lack for positions going to North America to Asia/Australia through the south pacific between March and August. I wanted to know if anyone can tell me why. I would have thought that a lot of boats would need to be brought back but I don't see ads for it. Is this due to winds/demand/out of season?

Does anyone have experience with this route and could provide me with some advice on where and when to facilitate my journey?
__________________

__________________
De Faoithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:28   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Phuket
Posts: 20
Re: Plenty of sailing from North America to South Pacific, but reverse?

Its against the prevailing NE and SE trades.

To go west you need to be 40N or 40S give or take to get decent westerly winds, and its very windy and bumpy most of the way.
Can and has been done, but not very common.

2002 I did Guam to Ensenada departed mid March great trip but one hell of a ride. We were a big boat (100ft) with 12 crew and well set up for the sail. We averaged 25-35 kts plus winds for the majority of the westing. Biggest winds and seas I've ever experienced.
Not sure I'd wana do what we did in a boat much smaller mind...
__________________

__________________
Get-away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:03   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 13
Re: Plenty of sailing from North America to South Pacific, but reverse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get-away View Post
Its against the prevailing NE and SE trades.

To go west you need to be 40N or 40S give or take to get decent westerly winds, and its very windy and bumpy most of the way.
Can and has been done, but not very common.

2002 I did Guam to Ensenada departed mid March great trip but one hell of a ride. We were a big boat (100ft) with 12 crew and well set up for the sail. We averaged 25-35 kts plus winds for the majority of the westing. Biggest winds and seas I've ever experienced.
Not sure I'd wana do what we did in a boat much smaller mind...
Would you know a good way/place to contact sailors who travel this route? Is this year-round?
__________________
De Faoithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:14   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,709
Re: Plenty of sailing from North America to South Pacific, but reverse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by De Faoithe View Post
Would you know a good way/place to contact sailors who travel this route? Is this year-round?
Take a look at http://www.cruiserswiki.org/wiki/Trans-Pacific_Passage_-_West_to_East


"first leg was from NZ to Panama, nonstop and took 54 days, uncomfortable for most of it. If you can get the Discovery Channel, and have watched "Deadliest Catch" you will have some idea of what sailing in the Southern Ocean is like.""
__________________
StuM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:43   #5
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 10,666
Re: Plenty of sailing from North America to South Pacific, but reverse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by De Faoithe View Post
I am an interested crew looking for passage from Asia/Oz to the americas and one thing I noticed in the ads is the lack for positions going to North America to Asia/Australia through the south pacific between March and August. I wanted to know if anyone can tell me why. I would have thought that a lot of boats would need to be brought back but I don't see ads for it. Is this due to winds/demand/out of season?

Does anyone have experience with this route and could provide me with some advice on where and when to facilitate my journey?
We have 3 sets of friends who traveled Australia to NZ, the Australs, Societies, HI and then to the PNW. All left Tasmania in Feb.

There is a CF member, Sapient Sue, who has sailed this route. None of these people would have been interested to take crew, though. At a guess, most Americans who sail out to Oz tend to continue on to circumnavigate, or to cruise.

Ann
__________________
Ann, with Jim, aboard US s/v Insatiable II, in Oz, very long term cruisers
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 14:19   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: Plenty of sailing from North America to South Pacific, but reverse?

I have seen many US boats for sale in NZ and AUS. So, ...

b.
__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:14   #7
Marine Service Provider
 
pbmaise's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pahoa Hawaii
Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam
Posts: 579
Re: Plenty of sailing from North America to South Pacific, but reverse?

During my past 3 years in Philippines I have seen no boats headed from here to US.

Your best bet may be to fly part of the way back. Specifically look at Majuro the Marshall Islands and Palau. These two places tend to have a few boats that will make the return trip.

Of course if you fly to Hawaii time it for trans-pac race and you are most likely to find return vessel.
__________________

__________________
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sail, sailing, south pacific

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Plenty of fenders but not enough common sense... OldFrog75 Seamanship & Boat Handling 5 13-11-2014 20:08
Crew Available: Central America to South Pacific or North America gypsysailor Crew Archives 1 22-05-2013 08:23
Crew Available: Eastern North America to Europe, or Europe to South Africa or North America to SA Voyager1 Crew Archives 0 10-05-2013 12:32
Crew Available: North america to central/south america sofiami Crew Archives 0 17-04-2013 20:07
Plenty of miles but not a clue Pleun Monohull Sailboats 6 23-08-2007 18:38



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:51.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.