Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2014, 10:47   #1

PLEASE sign the petition to use Drones for SAR, it may save your life!

I've started a WH petition to use drones for SAR. Drones are the perfect platform for SAR, faster, longer flight times, no onboard crew, better cameras and optics, FLIR, they can be outfitted with receivers for beacon frequencies, MUCH cheaper than flying a C-130, P-3 or S-3.

The link:begin-using-uav-drone-aircraft-search-and-rescue-vessels-along-coast-guard-and-navy-assets

Quote:
WE PETITION THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION TO:
Begin using UAV drone aircraft in Search and Rescue of vessels along with Coast Guard and Navy assets
A lot of fuel and manpower are expended using C-130, P-3 and S-3 planes to search for those lost at sea. A far more effective and much less costly approach would be to use UAV drones with their superior airborne time, all weather capabilities, and no onboard crew, to extend and expand search time and area of operations. Their superior optical characteristics and infra-red capabilities are ideally suited to the task and is in keeping with the American ideals of preservation of human life and rapid use of technological advancements for the greater good. We have the technology with these drones to get there faster, search longer, see farther and do it with no risk to pilots and at greatly reduced costs in fuel and manpower.

PLEASE spread this on Twitter, Facebook, your blogs, other sailing sites, anywhere you can think of, we only have 30 days to get 100,000 signatures!!!
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 10:58   #2

Re: PLEASE sign the petition to use Drones for SAR, it may save your life!

WADR, SAR has THREE words in it.

How does a drone do the R part?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 11:02   #3

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

The drones could still be used for "S".
Old 22-05-2014, 11:24   #4

Quote:

By assisting others to complete the rescue.

Did you ever ask anyone how an airplane does SAR? I've seen people rescued with ships and helicopters, but never a plane.

Did that stop you from signing it? I don't really care what you think of my thought processes, as long as you sign it.
Old 22-05-2014, 11:24   #5

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I recently read an article on CNN where a state volunteer SAR group was forbidden in using a small UAV for searching a vast area of wilderness by the FAA siting statute and safety policy that forbid the use of drones.

IMO, this is a nonsensical debate. I do understand that drones present a danger in restricted air spaces but they I find it difficult to believe they are more dangerous than the millions upon millions of birds that fly at the same altitudes.

Drone Team That Finds Missing People and Dead Bodies Would Like To Keep Doing That - Forbes
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 11:28   #6

I still don't see any signatures.
Old 22-05-2014, 11:29   #7

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
I've seen people rescued with ships and helicopters, but never a plane.
In the case of our CF compadre "Rebel Heart", a C130 deployed 4 PJs and a Zodiac (with outboard) out of the back of the plane via parachutes. The immediate help rendered by the 4 extra and very competent hands was crucial in keeping the boat floating long enough for a larger ship to get to the location of the boat (a long time later).

See:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152101488496843
Old 22-05-2014, 11:38   #8

Boat: Golden Gate 30

There was an article in PS a few months back that documented exactly what you are talking about. The USCG was testing a series of drones for use of SAR operations, mainly the S part

For long distance offshore search operations, I can see adoption occurring rather quickly. Once you move further in shore, you encounter a number of other issues (FAA, privacy, etc), hurdles that will slow adoption closer to shore.
Adodero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 11:44   #9

FLIR® Systems, Inc. Contact Information

Flir has so many uses, from border patrol, search and rescue, drug trafficking. The drones fitted with Flir could have some many uses. I have a feeling there are going to be drones everywhere in a few more years.
tdominic_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 11:55   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
In the case of our CF compadre "Rebel Heart", a C130 deployed 4 PJs and a Zodiac (with outboard) out of the back of the plane via parachutes. The immediate help rendered by the 4 extra and very competent hands was crucial in keeping the boat floating long enough for a larger ship to get to the location of the boat (a long time later).

See:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152101488496843
Those were rescuers, but until everyone is off of the stricken vessel, you cannot say they are rescued. Once they're on the CG or Navy vessel, I'd call them rescued. 4 PJs on a stricken vessel is a "rescue in process." Bad weather could have sunk that boat before they boarded the Navy ship, would you have called that a rescue?

Let's get back to the point: drones are better at finding people and objects than an aircrewman looking out of the window with binoculars. They are far less expensive to operate, so the gov't would be willing to search longer and farther for the same amount of expense. They recently did a 53 hour search, and quit, then resumed 2 days later after getting 200,000 signatures on a petition saying that was too short of a search. With drones, they could have gotten there faster, searched better, longer, more thoroughly and possibly found them.

Isn't that worth 10 seconds of your time?
Old 22-05-2014, 11:55   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
By assisting others to complete the rescue.

Did you ever ask anyone how an airplane does SAR? I've seen people rescued with ships and helicopters, but never a plane.

Did that stop you from signing it? I don't really care what you think of my thought processes, as long as you sign it.
1. Your response is annoying at best, and I find it personally offensive. "I don't really care what you think," and "as long as you sign it..." are the offensive parts, in case you don't get it.

2. From the RH saga, yes, we know how it's done, and you're simply incorrect.

3. I didn't sign it because the R won't work with a drone. It made your entire petition meaningless. If you'd given it some thought and suggested that it WOULD work for saving effort on searches, and maybe including the WHY it would HELP, I would have signed up immediately. And if you hadn't responded in this matter, I may have even reconsidered. And so may have many others.

If you have to expand your reasoning in multiple replies to responses, it may indicate that your initial idea wasn't completely thought out to begin with.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 12:00   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdominic_97 View Post
FLIR® Systems, Inc. Contact Information

Flir has so many uses, from border patrol, search and rescue, drug trafficking. The drones fitted with Flir could have some many uses. I have a feeling there are going to be drones everywhere in a few more years.
They're already using drones to catch drug traffickers, illegal immigrants, illegal fishing, counterterrorism -everything EXCEPT searching for those lost at sea.
Old 22-05-2014, 12:02   #13
cruiser

Welcome to politics. You are CF's newest politician.

Very soon, you will either understand why I am not a politician, or you will embrace politics completely and immerse your bad self in it. Which will get it all over you.

Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 12:09   #14

Quote:
1. Your response is annoying at best, and I find it personally offensive. "I don't really care what you think," and "as long as you sign it..." are the offensive parts, in case you don't get it.

2. From the RH saga, yes, we know how it's done, and you're simply incorrect.

3. I didn't sign it because the R won't work with a drone. It made your entire petition meaningless. If you'd given it some thought and suggested that it WOULD work for saving effort on searches, and maybe including the WHY it would HELP, I would have signed up immediately. And if you hadn't responded in this matter, I may have even reconsidered. And so may have many others.

If you have to expand your reasoning in multiple replies to responses, it may indicate that your initial idea wasn't completely thought out to begin with.
Do whatever you please.

Quibbling over "rescue" isn't really worth it. I understand that you think it's of paramount importance that you prove you're right, but that couldn't be further from my mind.

I specifically stated that the drones would assist, alongside Coast Guard and Navy assets, but I guess you didn't notice that.

Having to explain the obvious to you simply indicates that you're not nearly as intelligent as you'd like to think you are. It's a great idea. Only a petty person would be offended and not support a great idea.

Or better yet, get off your ass and start a petition with a better idea. I'll gladly sign it. Regardless of how irritating you are, I simply want the gov't to use better resources to help search for people at sea, which in turn helps with the rescue (obviously.)
Old 22-05-2014, 12:11   #15

Boat: Lagoon 410 S2 2006

Thank you for posting about the petition.

I have been following these things for a while now. Since 2005. I've assembled quite a few myself and helped many more make their own by supplying the components (i.e. assembling the circuit boards and making cables and parts for other peoples projects).

I really feel it is a great project for the family. The prices in the last few years have really dropped and depending on your level of effort it can be incredibly inexpensive.

This whole industry is about at the stage Personal computers were in the 70s.

I wish we could just all put them in perspective but I guess the media has their orders. The reality is what most people think is autonomous is really remotely piloted. Remotely piloted is far more dangerous to me. Autonomous only goes where it is told and you can restrict it to say 400' and set an electronic leash on it so if it strays it will either land or fly home. Remotely piloted can go anywhere the pilot desires...even up into the clouds and into the way of manned aircraft. This is truly a danger and something none of these laws are even targeting.

Truly incredible the level of misinformation and misunderstanding out there.
onefastdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease