Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2011, 05:44   #1

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Pirates Take a Serious Hit !

The tide seems to be turning on piracy off of Africa.

South Korea kills 8 pirates, rescues hijacked crew - USATODAY.com
Old 21-01-2011, 05:53   #2

Boat: Cabo Rico
Quote:
"We will not tolerate any behavior that threatens the lives and safety of our people in the future," South Korean President Lee Myung-bak said in a brief televised statement,
Seems like a good attitude to take.
Old 21-01-2011, 05:56   #3

Boat: Dehler Varianta 65
Yep! Unfortunately that seems to be the only way to stop them...

Wich leads to another question that i was wondering about...
How do you "boys and girls" protect yourselfs of this? How do you think you can "defend" you vessel and your crew/familly? And how do you plan a passage within range of such "most commonly dangerous areas" of piracy?
Old 21-01-2011, 06:17   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by messias View Post
Yep! Unfortunately that seems to be the only way to stop them...?
I am not sure it will stop them. If you are a starving fisherman with a family to feed are you going to sit on the beach because the local waters have been raped of fish for 2 decades or take your chances of a $45k share in a profitable hijack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by messias View Post
Which leads to another question that i was wondering about... How do you "boys and girls" protect yourselfs of this? How do you think you can "defend" you vessel and your crew/familly? And how do you plan a passage within range of such "most commonly dangerous areas" of piracy?
This has been discussed at length over the past couple of years as the problem became more serious. Worth having a search through the threads on CF which has some good advice.

Pete
Old 21-01-2011, 06:29   #5

Boat: 1985 Catalac 10Meter Serendipity, 1998 Nimble Wanderer "PJS"
Send a message via Skype™ to jannpage
I agree with Pete7. Of course it is not a matter of right and wrong. (It almost never is) what are the alternatives and the risks? When the stake is lots of "easy" money - even the relatively prosperous countries of Europe and North America find pleanty of takers for "illegal" activities. So don't blame the poor any where. Look to solve their poverty, establish better governments and fund lots of police and prisons (or firing squads) or- be prepared to face ranson and risk or stay away. Moralizing won't fix it. pjssailor
Old 21-01-2011, 07:03   #6

Boat: Leopard 40
I must applaud the Korean’s for their action.

Maje
Old 21-01-2011, 07:36   #7

Boat: Beneteau 373
I must agree with Pete7.

Although piracy should not be tolerated I think resorting to a death penalty at the spot is a bit drastic. And as the people who are committing piracy are on the verge of starvation I doubt that it will stop them.

It is fairly easy to get aboard a yacht in the middle of the ocean even if you are equipped only with an open dinghy and a ladder but the fact that the pirates are getting aboard commercial ships tells me that the crew are not paying adequate attention. If they don't see an oncoming pirate skiff, will they see me when I am out sailing?

Evasive maneuvers and razor wire seems like a better alternative than killing people - even bad people.

Claus
Old 21-01-2011, 07:37   #8

Boat: Beneteau 41S5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannpage View Post
I agree with Pete7. Of course it is not a matter of right and wrong. (It almost never is) what are the alternatives and the risks? When the stake is lots of "easy" money - even the relatively prosperous countries of Europe and North America find pleanty of takers for "illegal" activities. So don't blame the poor any where. Look to solve their poverty, establish better governments and fund lots of police and prisons (or firing squads) or- be prepared to face ranson and risk or stay away. Moralizing won't fix it. pjssailor
Bullcrap. You steal, you're a thief. Do I feel sympathy for a starving man? Yes. Do I do anything to help that starving man? Yes, I have 5 "adopted African kids."
Old 21-01-2011, 08:30   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
"In one of the most controversial rescues, Russian marines freed 23 crew barricaded on board a Russian tanker, the Moscow University. The pirates were later found dead and adrift in a small boat."

Just curous. How many Russian ships are pirated?
Old 21-01-2011, 08:58   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by apneseth View Post
I must agree with Pete7.

Although piracy should not be tolerated I think resorting to a death penalty at the spot is a bit drastic. And as the people who are committing piracy are on the verge of starvation I doubt that it will stop them.

It is fairly easy to get aboard a yacht in the middle of the ocean even if you are equipped only with an open dinghy and a ladder but the fact that the pirates are getting aboard commercial ships tells me that the crew are not paying adequate attention. If they don't see an oncoming pirate skiff, will they see me when I am out sailing?

Evasive maneuvers and razor wire seems like a better alternative than killing people - even bad people.

Claus
Really? You think for a second (other than ransom) your life is worth anything to a pirate? They'd kill you in a flat second. The very least we can do is return the courtesy!
Old 21-01-2011, 09:16   #11

Boat: 1999 IP40, Charbonneau
Piracy should never be condoned amongst peaceful nations. If the Somalian Pirates by their actions are declaring war on all nations, then there can be no remorse or hand wringing when the consequences fall upon them. The current plight of Somalia will NEVER justify piracy.

I find it disheartening that Great Britain and the US would rather allow their citizens to be subjected to capture than risk censure for doing what is right and honorable. It appears only those nations who refuse to bow to world opinion are willing to take a stand. It is a very sad comment for nations claiming to stand for what is right and fair.

Bill
Old 21-01-2011, 10:04   #12

Boat: Custom Cutter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
If you are a starving fisherman with a family to feed are you going to sit on the beach because the local waters have been raped of fish for 2 decades or take your chances of a $45k share in a profitable hijack?

Pete
Are we really going to keep justifying every law breaking act? How does the fact that you have a family to feed make it OK to kidnap and kill people? Are we then going to extrapolate and say that it's OK to rob a bank because one has a drug addiction? Or that it's OK to rape a woman because one does not have a wife?
Old 21-01-2011, 10:25   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingmonica View Post
Are we really going to keep justifying every law breaking act?
Trust me I am not justifying there actions, just pointing out what is happening. Anyway we have discussed this at length already so I will bow out.

Pete
Old 21-01-2011, 11:02   #14

Boat: Westsail 32
As reported by BBC News BBC News - South Korea rescues Samho Jewelry crew from pirates

Hooray. Testicular Fortitude! The BALLS win !!!!!!!!!! Sure, it could have gone badly, but it didn't. It went well. If only that could be done 10 times in succession.
Old 21-01-2011, 11:04   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by apneseth View Post
I must agree with Pete7.

Claus
History of piracy makes a great part of maritime history - and a lot of interesting reading. One thing is quite sure. Never ever in the history any means undertaken against piracy worked except sheer firepower and strict applying of the "Hang'em high" policy.
But it is not "politically correct", so we need to depend on Russians and South Koreans nowadays...
Closed Thread