Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2008, 23:15   #1

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Pirates in Somalia

Come on Alan, that thread about the pirates taking over the super yacht in Somalia is current, interesting and very relevant to this web site.

Couldn't you just delete the post that wound you up, ban the person who broke your rules and let it carry on?

Everyone was warned.

I for one am very interested in what happens to this yacht and would like that side of things to continue.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:19   #2

Hey seafox,enlighten me a tadd.Never saw the thread."Super yacht?"Forget the politics,a super yacht sounds rather big to me after looking at the forsale sign on the Maltese Falcon.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:40   #3

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
Here we go again . . .
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:07   #4
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
And another Thread bites the dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox View Post

Everyone was warned.
That, for me, kinda says it all. I haven't (and don't intend to) read the thread. But for all those that did and were interested ... why didn't YOU keep things on track ... let your fellow posters know, gently, that "whatever" was out of line and then take it back ON track?

Letting something get out of hand until someone has to "Report a Post", or a mod/admin happens across a post gone bizarre is, in part, everyone's responsibility (IMO). That doesn't mean that YOU (as in you'all) have to be policing the board. But it could mean that you could drop a nice reminder, in a thread you are active in, if the thread starts to go bonkers.

So - the thread is closed. We (mod/admin) can only do so much. The saying: "You can lead a horse to water ..." comes to mind.

There are my meager thoughts for the morning.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:25   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
My reason was simple. I would rather close the thread than see one of our members banned. And the slope was getting slippery and steep real quick on that thread. I think the subject is well and truely done. If the news of the event changes and the crew are released, then someone can start another thread telling the story.
But as for Guns, we ain't going there. If you need and I mean really need to know why, PM me. Don't take it further here now.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 23:56   #6

Boat: Lotus 10.6
So forgetting the guns and crap, what is happening with the Super yacht? I thought it was a real interesting story. I am disappointed in you people not keeping me up to date. I am going to have to leave you and go and google it now
Old 07-04-2008, 00:20   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Your not keeping up Darryl. Go to the Cruising news and events. The update is there mate. Just step past the three drongos trying on the gun crap and you will see the latest info.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:42   #8
cruiser

I'm actually surprised too... not about keeping the thread off of guns - that's ok.

I'm surprised that I made a joke about it by putting in a post that said only one word - "Guns!" and a little winking guy along with a disclaimer saying it was a joke.

I figured a little light hearted joke might get everyone moving on past the gun debate and move to take it less seriously.

Someone mod deleted my joke (sv Elusive maybe?) How anal is this place getting? That's another concern in general. Where is the fun? The sense of community? The laughter?

We are losing a lot of what people came here for in the first place.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:54   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The news and information thread about the French yacht seized by Somali pirates is located at:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tes-14175.html

I removed (3) posts about guns, including Sean’s.
I wonder what value you thought “one word - "Guns!" and a little winking guy” added to the Forum?

Objections to moderation should be addressed to the Moderator’s at “ Forum Help, Support & Feedback” http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f10/

Gord

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:24   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
We are losing a lot of what people came here for in the first place
People come here for Sailing and Cruising discussion Sean. We are losing a lot of that because some choose to fill the place with nothing but unneeded noise. So if you think it is the Mod/Admin team that is doing that, I suggest you take a good hard look again, pull your little wooly head in and stop making sly comments about a very hard working team trying to keep this place on track. You of all people should know better ,and trust me, we have given you one hell of a lot of slack in the recent past. Well here is a word of warning. The rope is now tight and there is no more slack.

Tags
Somalia