Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2018, 05:54   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Pirate attack Yemen

https://maritime-executive.com/artic...men#gs.U8lj2Ac
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:20   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Pirate attack Yemen

EXCERPT:
"Pirate skiffs were finally scared away from a private yacht off Yemen when Japanese and Pakistani warships came in view.

An Australian couple, Lachin and Louise Turner, and their daughter 11 and son 4, were sailing off Yemen as part of a round-the-world tour when they were approached by pirates. The family was stalked for about four hours. During that time, more skiffs arrived, cutting in front of them; trying to halt their progress towards other vessels in the area. "

More via the link.

Yemen is a country in conflict or in war zone. Hardly a safe place to be near.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:34   #3

Boat: Catalina 470

I chose not to take this route as I perceive the risk to be real.

But not sure this is a genuine pirate attack, if it was they were extremely slow, surely the yacht could of easily been boarded before the cavalry arrived?
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:04   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I chose not to take this route as I perceive the risk to be real.

But not sure this is a genuine pirate attack, if it was they were extremely slow, surely the yacht could of easily been boarded before the cavalry arrived?
I understand and agree.

While we only hear one side of the story, and one we can empathize with the yachtsman or sailors on the "attacked" boat, it may not be the whole story, or it could be a case of mistaken intent (or identity).

When I see posts on Facebook or sailing groups that show "pirates thwarted" (type) by shooting guns at motor boats, I look at those carefully and consider the real possibility that the "pirates" were local fishermen working their nets, trying to protect their nets by warning the yachtsman about them, working their fishing grounds, moving in the same direction on a likely route or rhumb line to a popular destination, or trying to get close enough to the yacht to offer something in trade (fish, etc.) or to request something (position, water, beer, tobacco, etc.).

But, knowing the location of the incident is important too. Yemen is a war zone, a conflict zone, and part of the known area of pirate attacks on shipping.

I see this reported incident as worthy of sharing for a few reasons. One that I find interesting is the response by the Japanese warship (do they call it that when they are strictly a "defense force"?) helicopter and by the Pakistani naval vessel too. It does show some international cooperation by navies patrolling that area, a commercial shipping route vital to the economies of so many nations.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men